Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Easy Way To Change Domain For Magento Site? 

justintime67

Total Posts:  188

Hi All,

First of all, want to say I love Magento!! Been looking for a decent e-commerce option which even non-programmer, non-IT people (like me) can use… this is the answer and better than i could ever have imagined!

Thank You!

My question is in regards to changing the domain of my Magento site..

I have developed my magento site http://www.happycowbelts.com/magento/ and now want to migrate it to my actual domain http://www.happycow.com.au… Is there an easy way to do this for someone who is not a programmer?

Can I just back-up magento and then restore on the new domain (once Magento is loaded on of course)???

I am using the latest version of Magento (1.3.2.3)

Image Attachments
new_logo_signature.jpg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Kammalou

Total Posts:  285
Denmark

You need to export your database.
And ensure that you change the domain in the SQL’s before importing it again you a possible new database for your setup.

the mysql database credentials could you change to use your new database in : app/etc/local.xml.

that would make it possible for you easy returning to your original store. becuase you have you main database intact.

Good luck… wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

JLHC
Mentor

Total Posts:  1287
Tampa, FL

Make sure you also change your Base URL from your Magento admin or through your database (under “core_config_data") to reflect the new URLs before moving the files over. wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

rrowan

Total Posts:  46
Dallas, TX

You can export your database via phpMyAdmin. Make sure to select ‘disable foreign key restraints’ when exporting. Import into newly created database, update /app/etc/local.xml with the new database information, and then clear the cache folders /var/session and /var/cache out. Login to phpMyAdmin, select your new database and find the core_config_data table. You’ll see your old url for both secure and unsecure, make sure you update these to your new domain name. You’ll also need to transfer over the media folder if you have done any customizations to your design.

Hope this helps smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community