Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

PHP 5.0.4

Gorlist

Total Posts:  6

Hi, just wondering if anyone has managed to install on PHP version 5.0.4? Can’t upgrade to 5.2.5 just yet, and the PHP CGI workaround is only for PHP4?

Regards!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Lior
Magento Team

Total Posts:  293

Try the CGI work around, it should work in this case as well

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gorlist

Thanks for the reply, just tried the work around and now suffering from 500 Internal Server Error:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Never tried using CGI-BIN before on the server, though have it activated and I think its working correct.

Looks like I will have todo some reading up on it.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Airforce111

Total Posts:  100

Once you uploaded your binary and setup the correct paths in your .htaccess… Did you check to see if your binary is being used through the simple phpinfo() test?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Gorlist

Ive tried it, but again anything under the Magento directory still comes up with 500 server error - so atleast I think its the correct path, but not sure of the cause. Ive been searching through allot of forum threads, but nothing too specific.

I could upgrade to php 5.2.5 but I know their are still a few issues and im not keen on going to it until atleast 2.5.6 appears.

Any other suggestions? would it still work on 5.0.4 if I just commented out the php version check? smile

Regards,

Magento Community
Magento Community

golles

Total Posts:  257

Gorlist - 02 April 2008 10:14 PM

Ive tried it, but again anything under the Magento directory still comes up with 500 server error - so atleast I think its the correct path, but not sure of the cause. Ive been searching through allot of forum threads, but nothing too specific.

I could upgrade to php 5.2.5 but I know their are still a few issues and im not keen on going to it until atleast 2.5.6 appears.

Any other suggestions? would it still work on 5.0.4 if I just commented out the php version check? smile

Regards,

the cgi work around will work - but if you have already installed magento (without the cgi workaround) you should try the following process (works for us every time when we get the 500 errors) - using ftp

1) Delete the complete magento installation from your server and delete all database tables in your database (backup first)
2) Upload the cgi compiled php to the cgi-bin folder (force your ftp program to use binary for this upload, if you are using ftp)
3) Ensure the php5-cgi file has permissions of 755
4) Change the ftp program back to auto mode.
5) FTP up all of the Magento v1.0 files to your server
6) Before you do anything else (i.e. before trying to execute any php script) change the .htaccess file to use the cgi workaround - that is uncomment these 2 lines:
Action php5-cgi /cgi-bin/php5-cgi
AddHandler php5-cgi .php

....and of course save the file........
7) Change the directory permissions, as per the standard install, on the var, media and app/etc directories
8) Point your browser at the magento folder and start the install process.

Off you go.

I am not sure if all of these steps are absolutely necessary, but it works for us.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community