Magento Forum

Given up already ! 

Darren Grant

Total Posts:  84

Well Magento look like it has enormous promise but at the moment that is all it is for me. The learning curve is just far to steep for me the bold claims of simplicity are not true for me.

I had no problems installing it but just failed to even get one simple product to appear on-line, maybe I am just thick but I have given up in frustration. I’m going to stick with what I have for now and maybe look back a year from now when some of the following issues have been addressed.

Documentation in the form of a user guide to getting started with Magento.

Internationalisation so without any source editing I can have Tax rules and payment methods that will work in my country.

Thanks for all the work you guys have put in but it isn’t ready yet.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Darren - I am sorry to hear of your experience. The product is absolutely ready for prime time and its unfortunate that you’ve given up. Hope to see you as part of the community soon.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Darren Grant

Total Posts:  84

Well I guess we will have to disagree on that then.

I would say the software seems to work, but at this stage with the limitations mentioned above it is only for early adopters it isn’t ready for the main stream and I think you will find that many people are as stupid or impatient as I am.

I have so far failed to get a single product to display in the store, when I add a product to in the admin interface I expect it to appear somewhere in the store but clearly I am missing something as no products appear on the store. I have looked for documentation that explains what each menu option and each field means but all I can find is a collection of wiki articles, many of which are completely out of date, and a selection of screen casts.

Even if I could get a product to display, I would have to build a payment module so my customers could pay for their order. By the way the saved Credit Card Module why do you have the customer select the type of card ? A totally pointless data field as the type of card can easily be determined from the number entered and it is good practice to reduce the number of data fields that a user must fill out.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chris_Fierce

Total Posts:  3

I would just like to add what Darren has said here. I was hoping to move a number of sites over to Magento but untill simple things like adding a new category, new products etc are made a hell of a lot easier it wont be feasible for me to do so.

Most of the end users of this software will be small businesses that dont have a dedicated IT team so i know they will expect me to populate their site for them, im ok with that for the software change over, but to do it week in week out will be far to much work. One of my clients could have upto 300 new products a week, thats just time i could spend tending to far more important things.

Please keep the simple things… simple

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

There may not be comprehensive documentation at this stage, but many people are happy to answer questions if you post them in the forums.

The common reasons for products not being visible include:
- not ‘enabled’
- stock qty of 0
- listed as out-of-stock
- not in a category
- category not ‘active’
- also, the front page is blank to start with and needs to be manually updated using the CMS

If you look at Magento’s feature set you might decide that it worth spending the time getting familiar with how it works.

If you would like have a really great store set up, then you will probably want to consider employing a developer (no IT department required).

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community