Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
Welcome Australians

medic

Total Posts:  173
Sydney

Please introduce yourself here.

smile

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Fontis

Total Posts:  99
Melbourne, Australia

Hello! Good to see we got the Australian forum up. smile

I am Chris Norton, humble moderator for this forum and the Magento Australian translation. I am a software engineer/ consultant working for Fontis IT Consulting in Melbourne. I have been working on getting an Australia-specifc module up and running for a little while, as well as the en_AU translation, and good progress has been made. If anyone wants to help out, even just with testing, it would be greatly appreciated!

Fontis is also available for installation and set up services for Magento, as well as custom development work, so please keep us in mind for your next Magento project. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

mulletgut

Total Posts:  6

Hi folks,
I’m quite the novice but looking forward to experimenting with Magento. I’d like to get my friends online florist presence going with Magento so we’ll see how things go.
Will I need your Australian translation for that Chris?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fontis

Total Posts:  99
Melbourne, Australia

Well, it’s probably more a case of want rather than need. smile

At the moment there appears to be a problem (possibly on my part!) with uploading new, 1.0, translations to the official list of Magento translations. I’ve added in the translation for the final beta version (generously created by another forum member) but I’m not sure if it’s accessible. So I’ve attached an unofficial 1.0 translation if you wanted to get up and running straight away.

You can also join the Australian Magento Developers group.

I have a couple posts on there about a module I’ve been working on that might help you - it adds in Australia Post, Direct Debit and BPAY support. Although I’d say the BPAY part isn’t ready for real world use. I will hopefully be updating the module soon to make sure it works with Magento 1.0.

Lastly, welcome to the forums mulletgut!

File Attachments
en_AU_1.0.zip  (File Size: 57KB - Downloads: 217)

Magento Community
Magento Community

Wally

Total Posts:  1

Is there anything else that’s required for an Australia e-commerce website to be setup? I got a client who wants to process credit cards without going through paypal. We currently use a company simliar to ‘Direct One’ for automated credit card processing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Steve

Total Posts:  1

Hi All,

Great to see this here. Looking forward to the future of Aussie Megento. We are moving over from osCommerce.

Any know where the best place to find a Megento professional on a freelance basis might be?

Cheers.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Aussie Interconnect

Total Posts:  16
Melbourne Australia

You can contact Chris, the moderator of this forum. He has done work for us for a few years now on many projects and is excellent to work with.

SHane Thorpe
Aussie Interconnect

Magento Community
Magento Community

Aussie Interconnect

Melbourne Australia

Hey Chris,

Any progress on a stable version to download via Magento Connect ? Current version is still in beta.

Great job by the way.

Shane

Magento Community
Magento Community

Cameron_S

Total Posts:  2

Hi Chris and others..

Been keeping my eye on Magento for a while, awaiting the 1.0 release..
It’s great to see Australian support through yourself and also Ajazza in Magento Connect.

When my host eventually gets around to putting pdo_mysql and mcrypt on the server, I’ll finally be able to install it! Can’t wait.

Then I’m sure the Open Source extensions will come in very handy.

Keep up the good work.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shady

Total Posts:  4

Hi all,

Just wanted to say hello and introduce myself on the Aussie forum (which is great to see!) does anyone know of any aus online shops using Magento?

And for a basic store, is anything extra really required? I’m also moving from another popular os e-Commerce shopping cart as mentioned, which I’ve been completely satisfied with, apart from the need to have a good 7-8 add-ons required at a bare minimum just to have a functional, store with all the required features that should really be standard implementation (which Magento has, and then some!) can’t wait to experiment with it.

But anyway, I’m down in Melbourne - and I’m currently also studying, and would love to find work in IT asap, if anyone knows any vacancies by any chance.

smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Aussie Interconnect

Melbourne Australia

Hey Chris,

We have tried to install Australian Update Ver 0.6.0 but the Magento Connect Manager won’t allow it, probably because it isn’t stable as yet I presume.

Do we need to go to the Fontis site and download from there using the instructions to install the lastest version?

Great job and thanks for the Paymate inclusion.

Cheers

Shane

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@Aussie Interconnect: You can change perferred state in Settings tab in MagentoConnect Manager.

Also, you can override your preferred by appending package’s state to extension key, like this:
magento-community/Fontis_Australia-alpha

To install specific version, append version number:
magento-community/Fontis_Australia-0.6.0

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shady

Total Posts:  4

Bugger me - just found out that my webhost doesn’t currently have “mcrypt” and “pdo_mysql” installed.

Really sucks - have put a request in, and in the past they have been really really good and quick with complying. So I’m hoping this can be done asap, and I can get a live Aussie store out there!

I’ll update when it’s done.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mcs107

Total Posts:  9

Hi all,
Good to see more Australian Magento users. I am sold on Magento, very impressed with its range of features for even v1.0! We are currently building a Magento store for a customer, and I was very happy to see a Australian specific module being developed.
However, on going to the Fontis site, and downloading the Australian files listed, I followed the install instructions there. I am wonder tho, is these instructions for Magento v1.0 or an older version? Some of the app/ folders mentioned dont exist.

Could someone (Chris maybe?)please indicate which folders to install the 4 files, Australia_code, Australia_design, the Australia.xml. I worked out the bpay.gif wink

Thanks in advance. Take a look at the site we are building, http://www.butterflycountrykitchen.com.au

Michael (mcs107)

Magento Community
Magento Community

easymobiles

Total Posts:  25

Just wanted to say hi to everyone here downunder and congratulations to the Magento Commerce team.

Being a newbie to web design and needing a solution in quick time to get in on a new market (the Apple iPhone) I looked at the options and realised that there was no competition.

Since making that decision I’ve been pleasantly surprised with the user-friendly interface and the outcomes we’ve had since implementing Magento.

As you can see from our site MobiCity we haven’t customised the base package too much, but its still been hugely successful and we’ve already processed loads of transactions without too many hitches. The only issue was that we couldn’t get emails to send for a while (We had the locale as AU without any email templates in the file) but that wasn’t a killer to launch without and its been resolved.

Look forward to seeing some interesting localised plug ins to come. Keep up the good work Chris and the rest of the team.

Alistair

Magento Community
Magento Community

ya tech

Total Posts:  3

Is anyone in Sydney? 

[color=red]Would be good to have a monthly meeting with other magneto people to talk about all sorts of issues and ideas
eg We could help each other out with problems and brainstorm ideas for business promotion. Also its encouraging meeting other people on the same wave length. Would anyone be interested in that?  Message me back if anyone is keen. [/color]

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3