Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Fatal error after deleting “default category”

paul@moodandmind.com

Total Posts:  65

I deleted the default category from the category list (as I didn’t think I needed it), and now the front and back ends both show this error:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘Mage_Core_Exception’ with message ‘Invalid base dir type specified: var’ in /home/realstu5/public_html/moodandmind.com/app/Mage.php:372 Stack trace: #0 /home/realstu5/public_html/moodandmind.com/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config.php(362): Mage::exception(’Mage_Core’, ‘Invalid base di...’) #1 /home/realstu5/public_html/moodandmind.com/app/Mage.php(180): Mage_Core_Model_Config->getBaseDir(’var’, Array) #2 /home/realstu5/public_html/moodandmind.com/app/Mage.php(535): Mage::getBaseDir(’var’) #3 /home/realstu5/public_html/moodandmind.com/app/Mage.php(430): Mage::printException(Object(Mage_Core_Exception)) #4 /home/realstu5/public_html/moodandmind.com/index.php(40): Mage::run(’default’) #5 {main} thrown in /home/realstu5/public_html/moodandmind.com/app/Mage.php on line 372

Please tell me I don’t have to reinstall. This really need to be set up so a user can’t completely wreck the installation simply by deleting the default category. Please advise.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

paul@moodandmind.com - 01 April 2008 12:24 PM

I deleted the default category from the category list (as I didn’t think I needed it), and now

Please tell me I don’t have to reinstall. This really need to be set up so a user can’t completely wreck the installation simply by deleting the default category. Please advise.

That pretty much sums things up. It is currently really easy to break the install. All I can say is backup frequently :(

I’ve messed things up multiple times and had to start over again. Very annoying. At least my host has a 1 click site backup / restore option.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community