Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
Using product position not working for display priority

wsj3
Guru

Total Posts:  521
Portland, OR

Can someone confirm that using ‘product priority’ is intended to work the way I assume, but it’s just not working for me.

I am assuming that by setting the ‘position’ value for each product in a category, that it should display based on the position value when the products are displayed on the category page?

This is not working the way I expect and the display position seems to be random.

Any insights would be appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

magedev

Total Posts:  117

Yes, the position is used to order products in ascending order in specified category when you sort your product list using ‘Position’ value. If it doesn’t work as expected be sure that:

1. You saved the category after assigning ‘position’ to each product.
2. If category is an anchor you assigned ‘position’ to products in subcategories.
3. When displaying products in category you use Sort By: Position (I think it was ‘Best Value’ previously)

Hope that helps

Magento Community
Magento Community

wsj3
Guru

Portland, OR

Thanks Magedev,

I don’t see any option for ‘Sort By: Position’. Where do you see this?

Magento Community
Magento Community

wsj3
Guru

Portland, OR

If anyone comes across this problem, I thought it would help if I describe the solution.

1) Go to the admin/category and select the ‘Display Settings’
2) For ‘Available Product Listing Sort by’ deselect the checkbox for ‘use config settings’ and select sort by ‘Best Value’
3) For ‘Default Product Listing Sort by’ deselect the checkbox for ‘use config settings’ and select ‘Best Value’ from the drop down
4) Go to ‘Category Products’ and set the values for ‘Position’ and save.
5) Go to the cache and choose Layered Navigation Indice’ ‘Refresh Now’

Now when you view the products on your category page the default setting should be ‘Position’, which will display the products in the order specified in the position values in the category page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mage Guru

Total Posts:  79

Display Settings isnt saving changes when I save category when I tick use config settings on default listing!

Magento Community
Magento Community

iposters

Total Posts:  6

Thanks Will, works a treat!

Magento Community
Magento Community

giggler

Total Posts:  72

I’ve tried the setting and it still doesn’t display by position when I have a subcategory. Any top category will sort by position if there are no subcategories under it, but once I put a subcategory then it doesn’t sort by position. I’ve tried the above setting using “best value” but with is anchor to NO (or yes) and it doesn’t sort according to the position.

Any idea why it work with no subcat and doesn’t work with subcat?

UPDATE: oh and now it won’t let me check the “use config settings”, once I check it and hit save category, it goes unchecked again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

theSaintHell

Total Posts:  6

Hi, i have the same problems as giggler. I’ve tried to move all subcategroies outside from the top category, then positioning works. After undo, the positioning doesn’t work anymore....

Is there any solution or Workaround for this issue? Maybe it has been fixed in 1.4, did someone tested it?

Please let us know if there is a fix!
Thank you all for your support.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Simon@smARTstudiosUK

Total Posts:  14

Damn forums ate my more detailed reply!

I’ve found a workaround for this; the parent category will using any positioning values assigned in sub categories.

So it’s possible to assign values to the products in the sub categories to get the desired parent category positioning.

PS Wriggle I think the checkbox bug is a JS problem and unrelated

Magento Community
Magento Community

Simon@smARTstudiosUK

Additional:

In the scenario of the following:

Parent category: 4 products
Sub category 1: 5 products
Sub category 2: 5 products

The positioning once again defaults to the parent category values. so basically the subcategory positioning work around is only necessary when the parent category is empty - however I personally have duplicated the positioning in both parent and sub categories, in case the parent category becomes empty at a later date.

Anyway - all seems to work ok

Thanks,
Simon

Magento Community
Magento Community

jbhansen

Total Posts:  13

We finally got our sort orders working on parent/anchor categories with products in subcategories. Subcategory sort orders weren’t “flowing up” to the parent category.

Basically, we just added all the subcategory products to the parent category, so each product is linked to both the parent category AND the subcategory. Then, you can edit the sort order of the products in the parent category, save it, and that’s it. The products sort correctly when clicking on the anchor/parent category, the products only show up once, and the layered navigation works with the sub categories listed on the left side of the page.

Maybe that’s how it’s supposed to work (products have to be added to BOTH categories, not just the subcategory) and maybe this has been explained already somewhere else, but we missed it until now so I hopefully this helps someone else with the same problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

web-vision

Maybe we found a workaround. Instead of reindexing all indexes after assigning the sorting in categories, we only reindexed “Category Products”. This worked for us.

Maybe the order during indexing is wrong.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Micks

Amsterdam, The Netherlands

My problem is not that I can’t assign positions to products or that it won’t save.... I does all that just fine.
My main categories with no products in them are not anchors, my sub-categories where the product are in, are anchors.

The problem I have is that in the sub-categories all product positions are set on “0” by default (??), which means I have to assign a position to every product in every sub-category, otherwise the ones that are left with the “0” will always end up in the first position.

Now, that’s not a problem for sub-categories that only have a few products in them, I just insert a position for all of them. The real problem starts when I have over a 100 products in a sub-category, there’s no way to assign a position to all of them and keep track of it later on.

So, my question is.... Does anybody know where I can remove the default “0” in the product positioning?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Micks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Rafael Monge

Total Posts:  3

I’m using version 1.5.1.0 and the order by position doesn’t work I’ve assigned positions for all products in the only one category I have soting by Best Value, save the cats, reindex the navigation layer and refreshing my catalog but still showing order by ID. Sort by price and name works properly.

What am I doing bad?

Magento Community
Magento Community

glideranderson

Total Posts:  18

http://www.magentocommerce.com/bug-tracking/issue/?issue=11236

here is a bug issue for the sort by position, I am having the same issue, please comment so maybe they will fix faster

Magento Community
Magento Community

Juddder

Total Posts:  16
London

The challenge we had is that the default option you want to select is ‘Best Value’ - which although it sounds like it is something to do with price, is actually what sorts on the Position value by default.

To set this to the defacto:

you look to change the default value in Admin -> Configuration -> Catalog -> Catalog -> Front End -> Product Listing Sort by

to ‘Best Value’

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2