Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Order No. vs Invoice No. 

cab

Total Posts:  15
Adelaide, Australia

I am a little confused as to using Magento in Australia in regards to Order # and Invoice #.

I have changed all references of “Invoice” to “Tax Invoice” and ensured that my ABN is listed and GST is correctly shown throughout the process (HTML, PDFs and Emails).

But, do I also need to change references to “Order”?
I keep thinking I need to change “Order” to “Tax Invoice” also, but this must get terrible confusing as the Order ID does not match the Invoice #.

I feel like Order and Invoice should be the same thing?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I am getting terribly confused!
It may be that I just do not understand the proccess in the back end…

If anyone can understand what I am trying to say here, and can set me straight would be much appreciated.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

I’m not expert in these matters, but I think it’s quite simple:

An order is NOT an invoice - at least not in the Australian context of a tax invoice.
An order is simply an acknowledgment of a customer’s request for the goods/services.

But when you generate an invoice tied to that order (which you may do manually or some payment methods do automatically), that’s the document that requests or acknowledges payment for those goods. That’s where the Tax Invoice rules come into play.

But I’m very happy for someone more knowledgeable to correct me if I’m wrong.

Magento Community
Magento Community

cab

Total Posts:  15
Adelaide, Australia

Thanks Neil, that does make perfect sense.
After reading a bunch of conflicting posts regarding the aus tax issues, I was getting tied in knots.
But as you have explained it there, agreed: quite simple.

Thanks again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

Happy to help… wink

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community