Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
Design RIPOFF! 

TomC

Total Posts:  191

FANTASTIC JOB !!! - Very inspirational !!

cheese

What part of Orange County are you from?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

TomC

Did this guy abandon the Forum ???

long face

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Total Posts:  330
Orange County, CA

I’m still here.

I work in Anaheim and live in South OC.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TomC

Brady - 27 June 2008 08:10 AM

I’m still here.

I work in Anaheim and live in South OC.

Coincidentally, I work in Orange and live in South OC (Aliso Viejo).

How has your store being doing since you launched it on the Magento platform?  I am so ready to get started, but am a bit unsure about the stability of the functionality - not to mention the difficulty level of layout design.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  770
Phoenix, AZ

TomC - 27 June 2008 09:11 AM

not to mention the difficulty level of layout design.

The first time I looked into making a theme for Magento, I found it pretty confusing. After working on a few theme imports though, the way layouts/interfaces are laid out is SO nice. Give it some time, and you’ll really appreciate it. It sure beats editing header.php, sidebar.php, and footer.php like a lot of other applications wink

@Brady: Site’s coming along nicely! If I could offer two suggestions:

1. Active highlighting of navigation in the primary navbar, and a :hover effect for the primary nav as well. Maybe white could be the active/hover color, and something like #ddd or even #eee for everything else.

2. Put the seperator in the primary nav between all items, not just between the product categories and company/support area.

By the way, how long do you think it’ll be until the site’s ready? Looking forward to seeing it all wrapped up.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Orange County, CA

Hello and thank you for the suggestions.  I’m (hopefully) wrapping up the site this week.  This thread is actually old & based on a previous design I had.  The new design is similar, but more polished, in my opinion.

Our current site is based on ASP 1.0 and is a huge pain-in-the-butt to work with.  I really look forward to launching it using the Magento platform.  It will make all our lives much easier!

I’ll be including a special Magento coupon for anybody who’s interested in a laptop bag, once the new site launches.  Keep an eye out.  grin

Just a note about hosting.  I am currently using Crucial’s Magento Container and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!  It’s blazing fast compared to any other host I’ve tried with Magento.

Thanks again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TomC

Brady - 27 June 2008 08:20 PM

Hello and thank you for the suggestions.  I’m (hopefully) wrapping up the site this week.  This thread is actually old & based on a previous design I had.  The new design is similar, but more polished, in my opinion.

Oh man ... If your new design is better than the original one posted in your first post, I can’t wait to see it !!!

cheese

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

Way to dig this one back up! rasberry

Magento Community
Magento Community

bruin03

Total Posts:  2

I like your buttons, especially the add to cart ones. Mind telling us where you got the template? Or are they custom made?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Orange County, CA

If you are referring to these (attached) they are part of the “Modern” Magento theme: http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/146/modern-theme-for-magento-frontend-interface

Image Attachments
button.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

bruin03

Total Posts:  2

Ah! I see. Thanks for the quick reply and heads up. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

wolfgang-kr

Total Posts:  9

Hi Brady,

wow now you really did a great job on your site. This not only in terms of design but also in terms of performance. I really would bee intereted if you could tell me a bit as to what configuration you are runnig and what tweaks you found best. All the best from Heidelberg

Wolfgang

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Orange County, CA

Hi Wolfgang,

Thank you for your compliments.

I tried many different hosts with Magento and found that Crucial Magento Containers are by far the best, aside from possibly going with a dedicated server, which would be much more expensive.  The performance is great, the price is reasonable and the tech support & customer service is superior to most other hosts I’ve used.

Link: http://www.crucialwebhost.com/hosting/magento-containers/

Magento Community
Magento Community

wolfgang-kr

Total Posts:  9

I am not sure wether to say good morning or good evening Brady but regardless of the time shift, thank you very much. The performance really looks great especcialy also in regard to the demo store that is provided. But if I may ask, are there any major code tweaks or specific options that can increase speed ?

Thanks
Wolfgang

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brady
Guru

Orange County, CA

Hi Wolfgang,

It’s almost midnight here in California, so I’m not sure if it’s good evening or good morning either.  grin

No major tweaks for performance.  Just make sure the code you add or modify is clean, try to keep the additional code to a minimum and optimize the images as much as possible.

A good host makes a WORLD of difference when it comes to Magento.  Hopefully in the next up-coming releases they’ll optimize the back-end more, so it will run faster on in a normal shared-hosting environment.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2