Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
Another Production Site powered by Magento launched today

Discovery
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  767

Excellent!
Put’s those of us that were waiting for 1.0 in the shade…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

harry12bar

Total Posts:  168

Miro a.k.a. SecretR - 07 April 2008 02:17 AM

@norbolig - I didn’t look at the advanced search problem yet.
Configurable products children should stay hidden, the parent product gives you all information you need - don’t forget you have also 2 searchable description areas.
Picture preview is called Lightbox JS. It’s easy to implement it in Magento without even touching the core.

Hi luv the site ...
Im trying out light box but im not so good with code… been trying to insert the rel="lightbox" tag but im completely lost. Im using the gallery.phtml but not sure where to insert. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

redegifts

Total Posts:  41

Would you be able to explain how you were able to integrate the Lightbox JS into the product pictures??

Thanks,
Russ

Magento Community
Magento Community

SecretR

Total Posts:  23

@norbolig - we are limited to the materials provided by our client. However there is solution - controlled (width & height) image preview with Lightview JS (requires commercial license) The problem is magento uses too old version of Prototype framework (1.5) From what I know switching to 1.6 is not expected soon.

Implementing Lightbox is a quite simple task. Just be sure you have an older Prototype 1.5 compatible Lightbox version
1. Copy lightbox.js to /skin/frontend/default/your-skin/js/ folder
2. Open /app/design/frontend/default/your-design/layout/page.xml and add it to the JS include list in the every block of type page/html_head. It should look like this:

<block type="page/html_head" name="head" as="head">

<
action method="addJs"><script>prototype/prototype.js</script></action>
                <
action method="addJs"><script>prototype/validation.js</script></action>

<
action method="addJs"><script>scriptaculous/builder.js</script></action>
                <
action method="addJs"><script>scriptaculous/effects.js</script></action>

<
action method="addItem"><type>skin_js</type><script>js/lightbox.js</script></action

<
action method="addCss"><stylesheet>css/lightbox.css</stylesheet></action>
            </
block>

3. Open /app/design/frontend/default/your-design/template/catalog/product/view/media.phtml Search for something like:

<a href="#" onclick="popWin('<?php echo $this->getGalleryUrl($_image) ?>', 'gallery', 'scrollbars=yes,width=300,height=300,resizable=yes');return false;">
and replace it with:
<a href="<?php echo $this->helper('catalog/image')->init($this->getProduct(), 'image', $_image->getFile()); ?>" rel="lightbox_product-gallery">

Done.

Magento Community
Magento Community

norbolig
Guru

Total Posts:  328

@Miro a.k.a. SecretR - One design tip for the main page layout: I would try to make the ‘como picture’ (701 x 430 pixels) a bit wider (and the two boxes on the right a little smaller), so that these align up better with the 3 column design that you use below.

I like the three column product presentation (and would even like to see a four column layout, for more product information on the same page).

For my own shop, I would have preferred to include a brief product summary under each product as well. Maybe (beginning from the top) including product name, picture, product description and then price/buy now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SecretR

norbolig - 09 April 2008 08:49 PM

@Miro a.k.a. SecretR - One design tip for the main page layout: I would try to make the ‘como picture’ (701 x 430 pixels) a bit wider (and the two boxes on the right a little smaller), so that these align up better with the 3 column design that you use below.

As I mentioned the TODO list is quite long, we are busy to make the required functionality done (custom shipping/payment modules etc), kill some 0.9 bugs and prepare the site for a big version update (I think it would be 1.1). The front page will be more different (and dynamic) than you think. However, thanks for the point.

I like the three column product presentation (and would even like to see a four column layout, for more product information on the same page).

I’m web2 fan. I think too much information is not good - neither for your clients nor to your sales. However, it’s just my opinion.

For my own shop, I would have preferred to include a brief product summary under each product as well. Maybe (beginning from the top) including product name, picture, product description and then price/buy now.

I’m not sure what are talking about - product view, product list or...?

Btw we’ve switched to another picture preview script which restricts the preview to the visible screen area.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Loic_LC

Total Posts:  194
Paris, France

The site is great and also loads fast ! (even add to cart function isn’t bad)
would you give us a hint of your hosting please ?
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

SecretR

It’s corporate project - dedicated server owned by our client.
I don’t think there is other possible hosting solution for sites with 1000+ products and 50+ product categories…

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 2