Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Huge problem with purchase orders? 

scm1

Total Posts:  46

This is possibly a silly question, but I can’t seem to see how it will work…

I have ‘Purchase order’ set as a payment option.  The idea is that the customer places the order, selects ‘Purchase Order’, we send them the goods and then send an invoice for payment (ie. a 30 day account).

However, I can’t really see what the procedure should be in Magento / Sales to deal with this.

Magento seems to assume that when I create an invoice that the order has been paid, where-as in reality the invoice needs to be created in order to be sent to the customer for payment (in 30 days or so).

So one procedure would be:

1) Do nothing until the item is shipped, then press ‘deliver’
2) Wait until the invoice is paid (30 days later) then press ‘invoice’

The big problem with this though is how do I send the customer an invoice for payment if it hasn’t been generated yet (!!!!)?  It also means the order status is stuck in ‘processing’ until they pay the invoice 30 days later.

A much more logical process would be:

1) Press ‘invoice’ when the order is received - (invoice is generated; order status changes to ‘processing’; invoice emailed to customer)
2) When shipped press ‘deliver’ - (order status changed to ‘complete’; delivery email sent ot customer)

With this one:  the status makes sense at each step; the customer receives an invoice for them to pay and they can also see the invoice online. 

But the problem I have with this is - How do I track who’s actually paid? There seems to be now way of marking an order ‘paid’ or ‘unpaid’ (other than generating the invoice - but in reality that is not a record of payment!)

So have I misunderstood the whole thing, or missed something?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

You can create an invoice without capturing. This will make sure the order isn’t complete when you ship it. There won’t be a reminder at the 30 day mark but at least it won’t disappear form view. I believe there are modules more tailored towards the credit part of it as a purchase order does not necessarily mean credit is given.

Magento Community
Magento Community

scm1

J.T. - 17 August 2009 04:16 AM

You can create an invoice without capturing.

How do I do that?  Any any idea how to search through the Magento extensions?  There are nearly 1100 of them and you can only view 10 at a time which is a painfully slow way to manually scroll through them… Even if we restrict the view to admin and other that’s still 465 to get through… and there seems to be no search option???

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_

London-ish, UK

I just realized it depends on the payment method. My card payments I can pick not to capture when creating an invoice. If it’s not showing on your POs, it’s a no go, unless you hack it up (not sure how, compare with methods that do allow this behaviour).

Searching I’d use Google for instead. With site:magentocommerce.com and inurl:extension

See top one here (phookin’ forum always cocks up the links, you get the gist)

Magento Community
Magento Community

scm1

looks like I won’t be able to do this ‘out of the box’, i guess I’ll just have to keep a separate list.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lividinstruments

Total Posts:  64

Is there anyway to restrict the purchase order option only to admin? I want to be able to enter purchase orders that are sent to me from our dealers, but I don’t want the front end user to be able to see it. Anyone else doing this? Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_

London-ish, UK

No, not out of the box. You can of course quickly turn them on when you need it. Or make a new shop view for yourself only.

Magento Community
Magento Community

LionelH

Total Posts:  12

I got he exact same problem.
Did someone found a clue for this ?

Help really needed !

Thx,
Lionel

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scuba

Total Posts:  25
Montreal, QC, Canada

Me too, me too!

We really need the order / invoice / shipment be a separate process from:

not paid at all / partially paid with balance due / fully paid

It seems so simple and obvious, I’m surprised I can’t find any extension / module for that.... :(

Any clue? Hint? Ideas?

Maybe you figured out a work-around? Please?

Magento Community
Magento Community

PHIAN01

Total Posts:  4

scm1 - 15 August 2009 07:00 AM

This is possibly a silly question, but I can’t seem to see how it will work…

I have ‘Purchase order’ set as a payment option.  The idea is that the customer places the order, selects ‘Purchase Order’, we send them the goods and then send an invoice for payment (ie. a 30 day account).

However, I can’t really see what the procedure should be in Magento / Sales to deal with this.

Magento seems to assume that when I create an invoice that the order has been paid, where-as in reality the invoice needs to be created in order to be sent to the customer for payment (in 30 days or so).

So one procedure would be:

1) Do nothing until the item is shipped, then press ‘deliver’
2) Wait until the invoice is paid (30 days later) then press ‘invoice’

The big problem with this though is how do I send the customer an invoice for payment if it hasn’t been generated yet (!!!!)?  It also means the order status is stuck in ‘processing’ until they pay the invoice 30 days later.

A much more logical process would be:

1) Press ‘invoice’ when the order is received - (invoice is generated; order status changes to ‘processing’; invoice emailed to customer)
2) When shipped press ‘deliver’ - (order status changed to ‘complete’; delivery email sent ot customer)

With this one:  the status makes sense at each step; the customer receives an invoice for them to pay and they can also see the invoice online. 

But the problem I have with this is - How do I track who’s actually paid? There seems to be now way of marking an order ‘paid’ or ‘unpaid’ (other than generating the invoice - but in reality that is not a record of payment!)

So have I misunderstood the whole thing, or missed something?

We did this for a customer but instead of storing in magento we wrote a utility that when you clicked on the invoice button (no invoice generated) it then dumped it off into our prefered accounts package (Clearbooks.co.uk) By doing this clearbooks then ran them on their normal 30 day billing cycle.

Magento Community
Magento Community

EmJaInteractive

Total Posts:  121
Charlotte, NC USA

scm1 - 15 August 2009 07:00 AM

I got this problem taken care of in a extension called “Purchase Order Management” which I created and I’m sure you’ll be glad to see!

http://www.emjainteractive.com/magento-extensions/magento-purchase-order-management-accounts-receivables-module.html

Need a Account Receivables system to track and manage your Purchase Orders payments? Then this system is for you! Assign customers Net Terms, Print PO Invoices, mark PO orders as paid, print report of outstanding PO orders, and much much more!

We are committed to this extension and will be glad to hear your feedback and ideas to make this better!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Scuba

Total Posts:  25
Montreal, QC, Canada

@ arcarocket:

This sounds like what I needed… Thanks for doing it!

One question / feedback: Instead of just “pending payment” and “completed”, we would need a step in-between for “partially paid” - and, mixed with that partially paid, a place to indicate the balance due.

Then I would be in heaven!!!

Thanks again!

Magento Community
Magento Community

EmJaInteractive

Total Posts:  121
Charlotte, NC USA

Thanks for the feedback! This has been so popular that we have received a lot of great feedback and already working on (and almost completed) version 1.1 already. In version 1.1 we will be including a PO LIMIT in which you can assign a Default value or assign a custom value for each customer as needed. So if you assign a customer $500 for a PO LIMIT and they tried to order $1,000 it will not allow them to do so with PO Terms.

Regarding your issue of Partially paid I believe version 1.1 will accomplish this! In the “Customer Information” section you will see a PO CREDIT box which will show their “TOTAL UNPAID” balance. So if a customer purchased $500 and they only paid $100 you can leave the “invoice/order” as “Shipped, Pending Payment” but login to their Customer Information and reduce the PO Credit from $500 to $400.

And please keep the ideas coming! We want to make this the BEST Purchase Order Management software available!

Magento Community
Magento Community

RickyFk

Total Posts:  165

Will this extension work on 1.4.1.1?

I have had a look at your product page, however am unsure of how exactly the process works? Is there any way to email the invoice to the customer through the back end? The only option I can see is to print one out \\\"print PO invoice\\\”.

Also when does the paid icon get added to the order?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community