Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Change category view layout. 

JesseStewart

Total Posts:  82
Salt Lake City, Utah

Ive tried everything I can think of.

I need to default category view to be a two column layout with the shopping cart and compare items on the left.
I have tried editing numerous xml files with numerous different things and nothing seems to change at all.

I was able to set the layout of an individual category through the admin, but i would rather change the default view to make it easier for future changes.

v1.0 is great! Thanks everyone at Varien and this community for making it the best ecommerce solution available, period.

Image Attachments
softwaremore_mockupbs.jpg

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JesseStewart

Salt Lake City, Utah

<catalog_category_default>
                <
reference name="root">
            <
action method="setTemplate"><template>page/2columns-left.phtml</template></action>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="left">
            <
block type="catalog/navigation" name="catalog.leftnav" after="currency" template="catalog/navigation/left.phtml"/>
        </
reference>
        <
reference name="content">
            <
block type="catalog/category_view" name="category.products" template="catalog/category/view.phtml">
                <
block type="catalog/product_list" name="product_list" template="catalog/product/list.phtml" />
            </
block>
        </
reference>
    </
catalog_category_default>

If i am correct, that should show only the left bar, but every category page still uses the 3 column layout.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JesseStewart

Salt Lake City, Utah

It appears to be an issue with caching.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JesseStewart

Salt Lake City, Utah

I love replying to my own topic.

I’ve been playing around and created more questions for myself then I have answered.

I can’t seem to get the shopping cart on the left side of the page in the category view. I was able to get it to be a 2 column layout and I was able to get compare products on the left. Shopping cart doesn’t want to budge.

Magento Community
Magento Community

andyellis_2000

Total Posts:  41

I am glad you are enjoying your conversation with yourself. grin Just as a thought, you are familiar with the templates
\app\design\frontend\default\default\template\callouts\right_col.phtml
\app\design\frontend\default\default\template\callouts\left_col.phtml

I made some changes to mine via those pages, the customer service thing (which I made my own) is now on the left, and replaced the blackboaord with a random tips script
Maybe those pages will help you with what you are trying.  I suspect you can put the cart code into the let col phtml file, but not sure.

Magento Community
Magento Community

JesseStewart

Salt Lake City, Utah

This should be done with an xml file, but I can’t seem to get it right.

Also, what happened to main.xml?

Magento Community
Magento Community

JesseStewart

Salt Lake City, Utah

looks like main.xml is depreciated.

Can anyone help me figure out how to move mini-cart to the left side.

Image Attachments
1083113131-Apple-Guards-Default-Store-View-Mozilla-Firefox[1].png

Magento Community
Magento Community

karynn

Total Posts:  70

Just posting an update, since I couldn’t find the answer on this page for changing the default page layout for all categories.

The file to update is \app\design\frontend\default\default\layout\page.xml —the reference to the template is right at the top.

Before:

<default>
        <
block type="page/html" name="root" output="toHtml" template="page/3columns.phtml">

After:

<default>
        <
block type="page/html" name="root" output="toHtml" template="page/2columns-left.phtml">

To move the mini cart,
see the exercise on this page:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/design_guide/articles/intro-to-layouts

Magento Community
Magento Community

Genisys

Total Posts:  7

Jesse Stewart: Did you ever find the answer as to why the page template wouldn’t switch to page/2columns-left.phtml ?

According to the Magento design_guide your template change code (like mine) is exactly right.

i.e.:- with the following added in just under <catalog_category_default>
<reference name="root">
<action method="setTemplate"><template>page/2columns-left.phtml</template></action>
</reference>

Clearly, from this post… It doesn’t work for me either.
This particular development is using ver 1.16 but I think the problem has been there since 1.0

As Karynn states (in reply # 7), you can change page.xml, but of course this affects ALL page defaults.
Seems to me that the layout update when effected (in the right place, as shown) is simply being ignored,
OR that there’s a further layout_update downstream that is switching it back to whatever is set in page.xml.

Surely there must be others that have come across the same problem, but the other posts on a similar vein
are all off-target.

Anybody ???

Nigel Sheppard (aka. Genisys)

Magento Community
Magento Community

frozensage

Total Posts:  2

Only way I managed to get this thing working is adding

<reference name="root">
                        <
action method="setTemplate"><template>page/2columns-left.phtml</template></action>
                </
reference>

under default in catalog.xml

I couldn’t even get it working when going into manage category and setting the root category to use 2columns-left.

Very annoying!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

theGman

Total Posts:  4

karynn - 12 May 2008 04:34 PM

Just posting an update, since I couldn’t find the answer on this page for changing the default page layout for all categories.

The file to update is \app\design\frontend\default\default\layout\page.xml —the reference to the template is right at the top.

Before:

<default>
        <
block type="page/html" name="root" output="toHtml" template="page/3columns.phtml">

After:
<default>
        <
block type="page/html" name="root" output="toHtml" template="page/2columns-left.phtml">

To move the mini cart,
see the exercise on this page:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/design_guide/articles/intro-to-layouts

All I wanted to do was disable the MYCART and the RECENTLY viewed products from the right of the page and your solution worked perfectly! Thanks a million. Is it just me or does magento have the most complicated layout system EVER!

Thanks a tonne!.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ceefour

Total Posts:  52
Bandung, Indonesia

frozensage - 30 March 2009 04:47 PM

Only way I managed to get this thing working is adding

<reference name="root">
                        <
                </
reference>

under default in catalog.xml

I couldn’t even get it working when going into manage category and setting the root category to use 2columns-left.

Very annoying!!

Yes that’s what works, if you look in Magento’s catalogsearch.xml it also does it that way.

I’d also add the “update handle” so it becomes :

<update handle="page_two_columns_left" />
        <
reference name="root">
            <
        </
reference>

Related thread: http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/16838/

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageBright

Total Posts:  100

Pls check Some One Help this thread

http://www.magentocommerce.com/magento-connect/category-custom-view-7071.html

Magento Community