Magento Forum

Page 1 of 3
Issues specific to the United Kingdom

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

Now that we have a forum for UK users, I thought it would be good to make use of it!  It would be great to have Magento working really well for the UK market.

Here are a few issues that I can think of, maybe others can suggest more, or think of ways to deal with them:

- en-GB language translation
- support for popular UK payment gateways
- currency issues?
- tax rules
- postage calculation (royal mail?)
- address from postcode
- data import and export for UK accounting software

As I am a developer, and don’t do day to day management of a shop, my knowledge of the business requirements is probably limited.  It would be good to have some input from shop owners and managers as to the issues they see as important.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

TrevorGinn

Total Posts:  8

Hi Ross,

I have having problems with integrating Magento with PayPal express in the UK, I don’t think that the integration has been perfomed fully.

I enter the API details correctly, the the express checkout goes to the PP homepage and not to the express checkout.

This could be me fucking up the setup, however, I have just set up zen cart with the same setting and it worked fine

Trevor

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tonyo

Total Posts:  15
Conwy N.Wales

Hi Ross

Tony here from Conwy North Wales.
I found that the hosted postcode finder at http://www.postcodeanywhere.com was the easiest to implement into magento.
I would like to have had the inline javascript version working http://www.postcodeanywhere.com/developers/tutorials/inlinejavascript.aspx as a preference but couldn’t get the script to run within the checkout pages.

Royalmail’s postage is based on volume now and not weight so Flat rate scheme included in magento is sufficient. Of course there are other Royamail products like Special delivery or Silver service and International Signed For amongst others but they are added value products.

I’m also looking into developing the gateway for Protx. They have a great support forum so help is always at hand.

I run my own online business during the week so can only really spend time on this forum in the evenings and weekends.

I hope other UK users can start adding value to these forums by coming up with fixes and implementations.

kind regards Tony

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Thanks for the tips Tony.  I hadn’t checked back, as I had been expecting an email notification (which didn’t arrive).

I’ve been quite busy with other work, but am looking at the translation now.

Magento Community
Magento Community

jonhurlock

Total Posts:  9
Swansea, UK

Don’t know if the following would be of any help Roayl Mail Big Package .Its a zen cart module, but is written in OO PHP.

It looks like if it could be possible to port it over to Magento. Once i get a version of Magento up and running, I will look at trying to port this over.

Also I wonder if anyone would interested in creating a protx (http://www.protx.com/) module for Magento, Protx provides secure online credit card and debit card payment solutions, as an Alternative to PayPal.

Jon

Magento Community
Magento Community

threebeem

Total Posts:  2

has anyone managed to create a module for protx? its the only thing holding me back from using MC

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

@jonhurlock - thanks for the link to the Royal Mail Big Package, haven’t had a chance to check it out, but it could be useful.  Let us know if you have a go at doing anything.  Also, I would probably be using Protx for future Magento projects so if it needs doing when I need it, that’s what I’ll do.

@threebeem - I’m sure a Protx module will get developed sooner or later, however it’s a bit early to start using Magento while it’s still a preview release. More developers will get involved when there is a release with a stable API.  Don’t forget that you could hire someone to develop a module.

Magento Community
Magento Community

threebeem

Total Posts:  2

Hi Ross,
Thanks for the reply… although its a preview release, is it stable enough to be used on a live site in your opinion?

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Magento Team

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

We’ve mostly finalized our payment API and welcome developers that wish to take on the challenge. In fact, we’ll be happy to help and contribute our expertise (simply start a Magento Group to facilitate the communication).

http://www.magentocommerce.com/wiki/how-to/create-payment-method-module

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tonyo

Total Posts:  15
Conwy N.Wales

If we are to start a Protx payment gateway for the UK then we need some commonality.
I have integrated Protx Direct into another site I own but it didn’t come without its problems.
The fact that magento has a payment gateway already installed that handles the card processing on the vendors site then it makes sense to follow that method.
For this I intend to use Protx Direct which you can find details of here http://techsupport.protx.com/vspdirectcustomstepone.asp
Its an absolute must that you read and understand the developers guide before taking on this task.
I can report back here once I have something working.

regards Tony

Magento Community
Magento Community

digital daz

Total Posts:  8
UK

Hi,

I’ve just started to get more involved so if I’m repeating anything then please ignore!

Ok, looking at Payment modules I would think the following would be popular options:

WorldPay
SECPay
Secure Trading
VeriSign (& other SSL providers)

PayPal seems to be covered which is great, as it’s something to offer customers straignt away, SECPay would be great as I use it with a few customers. I have seen the ‘How-to > Create Payment Method Module’ which will obviously be useful for developers but as a designer goes isn’t my thing, has anyone created a module for anything other than Protx?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ewan

Total Posts:  4

Hi Guys, I’ve been watching Magento grow with interest.  I’m not much of a developer but am certainly considering using Magento in the near future for our company.

Just a bit confused - has anyone integrated any UK psp’s yet? I’ve seen mention of paypal - would that be paypal pro?

At the moment I’m using worldpay invisible, which I don’t think is supported any longer.

It would be great to get it integrated with Google Checkout too smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

We are in touch with PayPal UK to integrate with. Google Checkout is in the works as we speak.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ewan

Yoav

This is great news and very exciting.  I just need to get in touch with some UK based developers who are comfortable with Magento to see if it could work for us - I’m sure it could smile

Certainly could build a test site for a while until issues are ironed out.

Regards

Ewan

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ewan

Hi all

I’ve just thought of something else that would be great to get integrated with Magento - affiliate schemes.

It would be so useful if the major schemes could get integrated, for example affiliate window which we use.

Also, full integration with google analytics (although I’m sure thats already been done).

What do you think?

Ewan

Magento Community
Magento Community

James B

Total Posts:  19

I run a shop, and the current payment gateways we are using are paypal and nochex. However there is also the Pay Offline payment gateway to think about. This allows customers to place orders with a web site, then go to a PayZone (commonly everywhere, used for paying bills, and adding mobile phone credit), with a recipt and special bar code, to pay for there order. I will dig a link out later.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 3