Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How do you implement a product like a rope? 

martynm

Total Posts:  2

I’m just thinking off the top of my head here ...

How would you go implementing products like a rope?

For example, I might have a rope that has a product name and code. Each rope can come in different diameters. For each diameter, you can buy the rope in 2 different ways:
1) you can buy the rope per meter (ie a price per meter), and/or
2) you can buy a reel of rope - so there is “reel length” (ie how much rope in a reel) and a “price per reel”

Basically, you would want users to choose a rope (the product page) then select a diameter then choose a certain length (of which price_per_meter kicks in) or buy a certain amount of reels (of which price_per_reel kicks in).

How does the following sound?

You have 4 attribute sets:
* Rope by reel (extends default)
* reel_length_m
* price_per_reel
* Rope by meter (extends default)
* price_per_m
* Rope by diameter (extends default)
* diamter_mm
* Rope (extends default)

So then you
1) add a new simple product based on “Rope by reel” (not visible)
2) add a new simple product based on “Rope by meter” (not visible)
3) add a new grouped product based on “Rope by diameter” (not visible)
- associate product created in step 1
- associate product created in step 2
4) add a new grouped product based on “Rope” (visible)
- associate product created in step 3

Please let me know your ideas and if there is a simpler way!

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

flowstack

Total Posts:  159
London, United Kingdom

Could you use the qty box as the length in meters?

So you could have two attributes:

- Method <- this lets the user select by what method they want rope as a drop-down box
+ Reel
+ Length

- Diameter <- here they type in diameter

- Qty <- this is the default quantity box, where you can collect either (a) how many reels they want, or (b) how much length they want in metres. The meaning of this box (a or b) is determined by the selection in the ‘Method’ attribute box

Would that work?

Magento Community
Magento Community

martynm

Total Posts:  2

Flowstack - 01 April 2008 04:04 AM

Could you use the qty box as the length in meters?

So you could have two attributes:

- Method <- this lets the user select by what method they want rope as a drop-down box
+ Reel
+ Length

- Diameter <- here they type in diameter

- Qty <- this is the default quantity box, where you can collect either (a) how many reels they want, or (b) how much length they want in metres. The meaning of this box (a or b) is determined by the selection in the ‘Method’ attribute box

Would that work?

Sounds like a good idea. So for each rope of a different diameter you have the “Purchase Method” configurable (either by per meter or per reel). Could you have a grouped product which then consists of all the different diameters? Then on the product page (on the frontend), you can see a list of diameters and then the customer chooses “per meter” or “per reel” and selects a quantity?

The reason I ask and dont just try myself is that I’ve installed magento on my local machine and it runs very slow - guessing it’s a setting in php.ini but quite annoying as I’m having a play with it.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community