Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

inc or ex VAT

pldtm

Total Posts:  82
Bordeaux, France

HI,

First of all congratulations for the 1.0 release.

during the beta releases we had the possibility to show both ex and inc VAT, but the 1.0 version it seems to be removed.
To do simple: If i want to sell a product to a retail i have to show VAT on the catalog and during the chechout process, but for B2B i need to show catalog without vat but counted during the checkout. And finally if i want to sell something to someone outside the European Union i don’t need VAT on the frontend neither during checkout process.

The best should be to have one switch to allow or not VAT visible on the frontend by customer group (b2c or b2b) on the frontend, and one switch to allow or not the vat addition during checkout. But it’s probably difficult to code.

The first point is probably the easiest one. Can the team say us which part of code had been removed. This way all customers B2C and B2B will see the price they need (inc or exc vat).

Please, it would be great to have possibility to add it.

thanks a lot

phil wink

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Darren Grant

Total Posts:  84

I find that the best solution is to show both prices inc & ex VAT as both business and retail customers understand VAT. What we do is have the inc VAT price in large bold type and the ex VAT price in smaller type. We however are not using Magento yet as it is not ready for European users yet.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@pldtm: it wasn’t removed, but made more straightforward.

For the website that operates with VAT:

Admin System Configuration 

Catalog Prices Scope Website
  Sales 
Tax Tax based on Shipping Origin
  Sales 
Tax Prices including tax Yes

Now during product editing the prices will show near the currency <b>[Incl. Tax]</b>
That means all the prices entered are including tax. (regular, special, tier prices)

When the product is added to the cart, the sidebar mini shopcart will show prices and subtotal including tax, but when the customer views the cart page, it will show product prices excluding tax, subtotal excluding tax, and separate Tax total line.

The limitationa of previous approach include:
* inconvenience calculating the tax inclusive price of the product, which is shown in catalog that
* it is virtually impossible to show both incl. and excl. tax prices consistently everywhere.
(configurable dropdowns price adjustments, grouped products, tier prices, related products, cross-sell, up-sell, mini-shopcart, etc.)
* calculation of both prices in every location drags additional performance hit.

So in your case it would probably best to create 2 websites, one for B2C with prices including VAT, and B2B - excluding VAT and possible better prices.

Magento Community
Magento Community

golles

Total Posts:  257

Moshe - 01 April 2008 01:28 AM

When the product is added to the cart, the sidebar mini shopcart will show prices and subtotal including tax, but when the customer views the cart page, it will show product prices excluding tax, subtotal excluding tax, and separate Tax total line.

i think this setup is great accept it does not appear to be functioning, (or maybe it is just me grin ), see my post:

http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/5083/

Magento Community
Magento Community

RobKK

Total Posts:  56

Alternatively you can try doing it yourself - check out my post @ Tax Switcher Magento

smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community