Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

How to update a downloadable product after someone purchases it. 

e2

Total Posts:  5

I have a downloadable product that I continually updated.  I’ve had people purchase them, but when I updated the product in the admin, the product is not updated for those who have already purchased, only for those who purchase the product after the update.  Is there a way to have a downloadable product updated and previous customers be able to download the latest updated downloadable product?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

thingone

Illinois

I’m interested in a solution for this problem, too. Any takers?

Magento Community
Magento Community

978bobs

Total Posts:  44

How about locating your files on your server, and then from the downloadable product page in the admin, link to the files rather than upload them.  This way, with every new version update (so long as you maintain the same filename) returning customers should be able to re-download the latest and greatest.  I think I tested this, but it has been a while.

Magento Community
Magento Community

e2

The way I solved this issue was, I created the product and uploaded the file using the admin.  Once uploaded, when I need to update the file, I log in via ftp and I replace the file manually, that way when the users download the product it is the latest file.  Kind of a lame solution, but it works.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community