Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Ver 1.0 Dataflow- My first impression

NickL

Total Posts:  188

I was able to get my images to import using the directions above…

However.. now each new product I add has the image set to “exclude” and I have to manually un-check this via the Admin.

Is this common with anyone else?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

ok ..again getting back to importing a large catalog, I had tried import of 15000 products and saw that Magento was able to upload only 800 odd products - the progress bar says ‘Processed 5.4% 803/15000 records’ and no update or error thereafter. Had to kill this.

So thought I will play it intelligently and split my CSV file into lesser chunks and tried multiple thread uploads and again it got stuck somewhere with all threads hanging on me :( ....maybe I should try Ben’s confiuguration of MYSQL ..... does anyone have an idea how a large catalog can be imported? I see that many have attempted this ..but no record of their results ..would be glad if they can share the results here…

Magento Community
Magento Community

ryanb

Total Posts:  91

We have imported about 1,400 products so far (using the directions I gave above) and that went well.

I hope Magento can handle a lot of products because we may have as many as 50,000 by the end of this year.

I am going to try and import another 4,000 products in the next few days—once I have the excel file ready. I will let everyone know how it goes. If anyone has had a problem loading in a lot of products with 1.0 please reply here and let me know.

The only thing I am disappointed with so far is that we can not import “related products” so I am having an employee go though each product and add related items manually. This will take a long time with 50,000 items (about 1/3 of which have related products).

While I criticize the one think I don’t like—I also want to say that we love Magento—the well implemented layered navigation is exactly what our customers will need to browse through so many products. Magento team—thank you for a great product, we look forward to future releases!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jake

Total Posts:  14

I receive this error when I place the “/” in front of image names:
“Unable to list current working directory.”

Any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

machine11

Total Posts:  6

I cant upload any products.
My product data feeds are not using the in between quotes “ “ or the \t format. They are csv or tab delimited though, is it still possible to upload these or transfer them to the appropriate format, make them compatible?
Maybe I’m simply doing something wrong
thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

download CSVEd and try out ...a very useful tool

Magento Community
Magento Community

dniesen

Total Posts:  74

I was able to import 934 products, in 20 minutes, without images.  The weird thing is I didn’t receive any errors (after paying closer attention to my CSV file) but when I look at my products I only see 908.  I’m guessing I have a few records that the dataflow in Magento isn’t liking so I’m trying to find what’s missing but beyond that, it went pretty well. 

Just started another reimport and used the same image for all three image types.  These suggestions from previous posts helped the most:

* Put all of your images in the /media/import directory
* Put the leading “/” each image

It took me nearly 3 weeks to get a solid import process working on AspDotNotStoreFront (I hate MS SQL Server and ASP) but I was able to get this going within a few hours.  I can’t wait to start setting up more stores in Magento.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucian303

So let me get this straight. We have everything perfectly set up in .9. To import I have to recreate ALL categories and ALL attributes and ALL attribute sets (my error message says attribute set not found cause of course it’s not there). Then import the products and hope that the images and products come through correctly. THEN assign them to the right categories (or change the category id on the spreadsheet).

Am I missing something here? Cause this is not an import system. We might as well spend another 4 weeks full time putting everything in v 1.0. I could be wrong here.

I mean I know they advised us not to run an actual store till the final release but I would have expected a way to actually import EVERYTHING into the new store. We were never advised to not add any products or do anything cause getting them into the stable version would require basically redoing everything by hand.

Please someone tell me I’m totally wrong. Please ...

Magento Community
Magento Community

Ross
Guru

Total Posts:  336
Scarborough, North Yorkshire, UK

lucian303 - 16 April 2008 10:10 AM

We have everything perfectly set up in .9. To import I have to recreate ALL categories and ALL attributes and ALL attribute sets (my error message says attribute set not found cause of course it’s not there). Then import the products and hope that the images and products come through correctly. THEN assign them to the right categories (or change the category id on the spreadsheet).

If you have everything set up in 0.9, then I would suggest that you just upgrade the system instead of trying to export/import.  Below are the steps I used to upgrade (without problems).
- set to ‘default’ theme
- backup database and all files
- delete database and all files
- do fresh install of v1.0
- delete database from fresh install
- reload 0.9 db backup to be used by v1.0 install
- first Magento page load updates database to v1.0
- copy back ‘media’ files from backup

There are a few small changes to the way themes work, so if you have a custom theme you will probably need to make some updates - but that would apply anyway.  Oh, you may want to check over your attributes after the update, especially if you have changed settings on the system attributes as some of them reset to default settings.

Hope that helps.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucian303

@Ross
Thank you. You are my hero. (Just passing on some good karma from another post) smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucian303

After the upgrade with the .9 database, this no longer works on the home page cms to show products from any category, whether outside the Root Catalog or in it (I have the number right from the db / rewrite admin menu).

{{block type="catalog/product_list" category_id="45" template="catalog/product/list.phtml"}}

Also, the attributes are out of order and when I go in to change their order and hit save, the ajax fails and returns false. The page never reloads. It does seem to save them on the backend, but they are not reflected on the frontend. (Cache is disabled and I cleared it)

I have no idea what’s going on. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucian303

Ok here’s a typical ajax request when trying to save and update the attributes at all. I’m just trying to reorder them because the database script did not do that. But the backend ajax never finishes and the page doesn’t forward to anywhere. But it seems like a success. It shows up in the backend despite the page not forwarding to a new view. The new values are in the admin section but do not reflect on the front end.

Request:

"http://mag.xp506.signaturesnet.com/index.php/admin/catalog_product_attribute/validate/attribute_id/798/?isAjax=1"

Response:

{"error":false}

I’d post the POST, but it’s too long for this message.

Any help here would be appreciated. Why would this work with the demo db but not the one converted from .9?

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucian303

I figured out that attributes don’t import with their values. The way I solved it was creating both Admin and Store names for all the attribute value and assigning all attribute values over again for the ones that were not sorted correctly. I hit save attribute, waited about 2 seconds for the ajax to update the db (I could see it on the front end) and then about a million years for the next view to load and tell me the attribute was saved.

I also got the products to show up on the home page with the code above again after reimporting the database. Hope this helps someone.

Thanks esp to Ross for all your input and help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Serial Killa

Total Posts:  76
Malaysia

Hi there
i manage to upload 5000 products ,
took like almost 4 hours,

will try 45000 products tomorrow

anyone knows how to increase the speed of data import ?

Magento Community
Magento Community

lucian303

Not sure. I used the upgrade feature from magento since we had all the products, images, etc. all put in in .9 beta. The import function is inadequate in that case because we’d have to recreate all categories and attributes and hope for the best.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community