Magento Forum

Page 1 of 4
Ver 1.0 Dataflow- My first impression

srinigenie
Guru

Total Posts:  539

hi all,

Recording my first impression of the dataflow module in the product release -
i. The frequent updates on the screen once the import process is triggered is admirable and that keeps us updated and keeps the browser from NOT timing out. Now every record’s success is displayed as and when it is uploaded to db.

Some rants -
i. Had some concerns on the default values (values that are not imported by defaulted) Visibility is set to ‘NoWhere’. ‘Simple’ Product is not defaulted and the product ‘type’ appears to be mandatory now. I wish there is some way to control the default behaviour of dataflow import.
ii. Dont think I am able to import multi-select attributes (with multiple values) yet (This is no longer an issue- sorry my mistake - the default separator for multi-select attributes is ‘<space><comma><space>’ )
iii. Mandatory valules like ‘weight’, ‘tax_class_id’ are always required during import. Even when I set the ‘weight’ attribute to ‘Not required’, this validation seems to be fired :(..
iv.The import process expects that images that are imported be placed in directory ‘media/import’ which is again copied over to media/catalog/product/f/i directory. This doesn’t let us control the way we want to place the images. Some might want to place it in folders named as SKU.
v. When there is an error in a particular record, the message on the screen doesnot convey which record failed :(. In prior releases, the line number used to get displayed along with the error and now this has been removed. This makes it impossible to find out which records failed.

I was able to work around the first three issues by some customizations. But (iv) and (v) is causing some pain :(

I have long way to go on testing though and will keep this thread updated on more information as I proceed into my testing. Happy to see the first version out promptly ... let us hope to find more bugs on dataflow and stabilize this as import is a crucial one for almost anyone ....

bye for now smile

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Well !! I take back my words on rant (ii), I am actually able to import multi-select attributes of a product smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

jeanlucb

Total Posts:  60

I had successfully import over 1500 products from CVS with INTERACTIVE way to import…

everything is working well so far and I am very happy !

Magento Community
Magento Community

Znaro

Total Posts:  8

Can you get images to import?

Our products have no images and the images are there and have correct paths, also the products aren’t visible on the front till you edit/save.

Our import csv looks like this: import.jpg

edit: still had export store, using default they appear on the front end, still got images problem - this work for others or is it broke?

Magento Community
Magento Community

senders

Total Posts:  49
Germany, Mannheim

Hi Znaro,

I can import products with images.
I do it with my own csv file from anouther store.

My problem ist, that the pictures are not assigned to the image type (thumbnail, small_image_ base image).

I have to do it manually in the backend.

But with 18000 products to import ..... :-(

Another problem is, that the products are only shown, if I safe the product (without motifing anything) again in the backend.

Anybody has got a hint to me?

Kind regards,

Sebastian

Magento Community
Magento Community

andyellis_2000

Total Posts:  41

senders - 01 April 2008 02:21 AM

Hi Znaro,

I can import products with images.
I do it with my own csv file from anouther store.

My problem ist, that the pictures are not assigned to the image type (thumbnail, small_image_ base image).

I have to do it manually in the backend.

But with 18000 products to import ..... :-(

Another problem is, that the products are only shown, if I safe the product (without motifing anything) again in the backend.

Anybody has got a hint to me?

Kind regards,

Sebastian

yup no change here from last beta, images are there, do not show on front end and you have to go into EACH product and upload them, even though they are already uploaded. Also for me I have to go to Websites and enable it, or the product doesn’t show at all. I have seen no imporvement on import over last beta, Acting exactly the same, except you don’t have to change “Simple” to “Simple Product” anymore. Now it will error if you change it to Simple Product.

Magento Community
Magento Community

emagine

Total Posts:  36

Can confirm that importing is slightly improved, in that you don’t time out on large amounts of products importing and the progres % is nice, but…

1. No images come across with the records. All images need to be re-uploaded even though they are in the right directories (uploaded by ftp)

2. There is no way to assign categories to the products in bulk. You have to re-create the categories, and then import in, the numbers don’t seem to correspond unless you put them into the exact order they were entered in before on the first site, otherwise they dont import into the right categories and you need to re-assign them.

3. no extra attributes come across in the import.

So, if you have spent time working on a version 9 site and need to import everything into a clean install (as required) for 1.0, you are scuppered, and have to go through the guts of the entire catalog again, setting everything that was set before.

No real upgrade in dataflow as far as I can see. It’s still borked and doesn’t do what it says on the tin.

Staying with the beta for now until it gets sorted.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jake

Total Posts:  14

I too can not import images.  I uploaded them via FTP and passed the base, small, and thumb images via my csv import.  All products import with no images set.....am I missing something?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Znaro

Its confirmed then, dataflow barely any improvement… we only have 100 product images but with that exploding out to 700 configurable products / sku’s thats alot of tedious work to get the images imported manually. So far going back to version 0.8 seems more practical - I think magento have underestimated how important it is to have a feature as big as this one work perfectly, it would have been better to prioritise this over some of the other improvements. I don’t like to complain though I think magento is a breath of fresh air, this issue just cripples it severely when it comes to the fact that your sku count gets blown out of proportion when you’re dealing with configurable products and you depend on the need to manage that many entries efficiently. In this scenario i’m sorry to say but the cold truth is magento has tripped and stubbed its own big toe with this one I think alot of us were expecting a bit more for 1.0 perhaps if we had all been told not to expect anything it would have smoothed it over, please fix this soon guys…

Magento Community
Magento Community

andyellis_2000

Total Posts:  41

emagine - 01 April 2008 10:53 AM

Can confirm that importing is slightly improved, in that you don’t time out on large amounts of products importing and the progres % is nice, but…

1. No images come across with the records. All images need to be re-uploaded even though they are in the right directories (uploaded by ftp)

2. There is no way to assign categories to the products in bulk. You have to re-create the categories, and then import in, the numbers don’t seem to correspond unless you put them into the exact order they were entered in before on the first site, otherwise they dont import into the right categories and you need to re-assign them.

3. no extra attributes come across in the import.

So, if you have spent time working on a version 9 site and need to import everything into a clean install (as required) for 1.0, you are scuppered, and have to go through the guts of the entire catalog again, setting everything that was set before.

No real upgrade in dataflow as far as I can see. It’s still borked and doesn’t do what it says on the tin.

Staying with the beta for now until it gets sorted.

I think for the correct category, you just need to create the cats in the new site, export once so you can see what category id is assigned to it, then change it inthe spreadsheedt that you exported.  Each category has a unique category ID and thats how it assinges products.Thats some help, but there s/b an easier way really.  All in time lets hope

but yes, little improevement in this particular area.  But they cannot do everything at once, so we will be patient and wait. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

WildWire

Total Posts:  19

Images are also not working for me when uploading via csv.  (running 1.0) It did work running the beta however, so something has been tweaked.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Serial Killa

Total Posts:  76
Malaysia

srinigenie - 31 March 2008 04:56 PM

Well !! I take back my words on rant (ii), I am actually able to import multi-select attributes of a product smile

srinigenie, how many products did you manage to import ?? im curious here ! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

ok ...it is sometime since I updated this thread.... got my customizations working and ran a batch of 100 records ... it took me 5 minutes ..which is around 20 records a minute ...will increase the load and test and report soon. ...

And for the image issue, it actually appears to be a bug in code
Mage_Catalog_Model_Convert_Adapter_Product.saveRow method

$product->addImageToMediaGallery(Mage::getBaseDir('media') . DS 'import' $file$fields);

should be

$product->addImageToMediaGallery(Mage::getBaseDir('media') . DS 'import' .DS $file$fields);

But you can workaround this on your data file by providing a slash infront of the image (like /wonder.jpg—provide the slash explicitly ) being imported and one more thing, the production version expects that you place your images in media/import directory.

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

Well..following up on this ... imported 850 records in 58 minutes !! That’s an average of 14.6 records a minute :( ...but I have some customizations on this and am going to clock this and find out which step is taking a lot of time ...

Added a couple more rants on the first post on this thread ...

Magento Community
Magento Community

Znaro

Cheers mate this works! We are doing about 700 records successfully except configurable products don’t seem to be importing correctly, how about you?

PS:
Magento please fix this small bug in next release and maybe put a tooltip in profiles explaining where to locate the images and the like it would save us all alot of time!

Magento Community
Magento Community

srinigenie
Guru

How long did it take for your 700?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community