Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 5
Categories / products not displaying!? 

mycommerce

Total Posts:  11
London, now Los Angeles

Hi,

I just installed Magento Version 1.0 today (locally).  I have set up a test category and loaded a product into it via store admin. The category is “active” and the product is “Enabled” but the the category (and the product) is not showing up in the store front-end. I go to the homepage (which loads fine - but it’s category and product-less!). Any idea what I’m doing wrong.....?

thanks

Jason

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

davedavedave

Total Posts:  238

Make sure you set the category as an anchor, and it will show up on the top menu.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ianj

Total Posts:  4

I’m getting the same thing. I’ve added a few products and enabled them, created categories (enabled) and assigned them and also ticked the make anchor. Still no categories showing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mycommerce

London, now Los Angeles

Thanks for the response wink I did try that but still no joy - the category doesn’t display anywhere on the store front-pages. If I click the Sitemap link in the footer it says “There are no categories available.” From there I can click the Products Sitemap and get to my test product so that at least is showing on the front pages - but none of my categories are showing (I have the Default Category that was there when I installed Magento - and a test category called “Hardware"). Both are set as Active and both are set as Anchors.

Any other ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

What is the Parent of category you have created?

It should be 2nd level ("Default Category” in distribution) which is used as a store category root.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mycommerce

London, now Los Angeles

The parent is “Root Catalog”. My test categories are at the same level as “Default Category”.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

Here’s the problem. You have created a root categories to be used in other stores smile

Please create your category tree under “Default Category”

Magento Community
Magento Community

mycommerce

London, now Los Angeles

awesome - that did the trick wink Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

I think there should be some text on that page explaining how it works, or at least make “Default Category” the default selection for Parent category.  A lot of people have been confused by the way it is now, because “Root Catalog” is selected by default, and “Default Category” to me looks like an example category to be edited and used as one of your own.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mycommerce

London, now Los Angeles

i960 - 31 March 2008 04:20 PM

A lot of people have been confused by the way it is now, because “Root Catalog” is selected by default, and “Default Category” to me looks like an example category to be edited and used as one of your own.

I agree with this. The way it is now is not very intuitive.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Roy Andre

Total Posts:  209

My products wont show up nomatter what I do now. Argh. Worked fine in 0.9. Anyone got any idea what I`ve missed out? The site says there is one product there as it finds the amount-range, it counts up one product in the category, etc. - but it wont show up on the page:
http://demo.elguideonweb.no/catalog/category/view/manufacturer/1/id/6/

It dont display the test-product even if I search for it (but it seems to find it, as it counts it up as “Found 1 product”:
http://demo.elguideonweb.no/catalogsearch/result/index/limit/all/?q=memor&x;=0&y;=0

What I see now is that the categories with products in them dont display the footer for some reason. Also the exact product-page is very strange:
http://demo.elguideonweb.no/handterminaler/datalogic-memor-wlan.html

I’ve created my own custom theme next to the default one, but have tried disabling this also with the exact same problem.

Strange..

Magento Community
Magento Community

archer

Total Posts:  12

i960 - 31 March 2008 04:20 PM

I think there should be some text on that page explaining how it works, or at least make “Default Category” the default selection for Parent category.  A lot of people have been confused by the way it is now, because “Root Catalog” is selected by default, and “Default Category” to me looks like an example category to be edited and used as one of your own.

I totally agree with you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Darren Grant

Total Posts:  84

Add me to the list that thinks this is a ridiculous situation, the default position should be that products/categories added will appear on the home page. I have spent a day and a half trawling through out of date wiki articles and screencasts for such a basic feature. Wasted so much time on this and I actually deleted the Default category as I assumed it was just an example ! Now creating a new Default Category doesn’t seem to fix the problem so now I will have to delete the database and start over.

And Varien claims this is easy to use !, I found compiling my own linux kernel easier than getting a product to show up in Magento that’s nuts!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sigel

Total Posts:  19
Denver

I’m having the same problem as #12 ...

I deleted the default category as I thought it was an example… I spent 2 hours already putting products in the store… I would hate to have to delete the database and start over…

anyone kind enough to help or point me in the right direction?

Magento Community
Magento Community

moonlord

Total Posts:  42

Sigel - 02 April 2008 06:23 AM

I’m having the same problem as #12 ...

I deleted the default category as I thought it was an example… I spent 2 hours already putting products in the store… I would hate to have to delete the database and start over…

anyone kind enough to help or point me in the right direction?

Just had to deal with the same problem after deleting the “Default Category”, but it’s easy to solve:
Go to System -> Manage Stores and click on your Store Name. There you can select the Root Category smile

Now it should work again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Leonards

Total Posts:  9

Having a similar problem to aFFi, My categories show fine and say there are products listed but wont show said products??? I’ve tried everything, the products are enabled!

also theres a problem with adding images to the products when creating products. The image uploads but when you save and exit the image disappears, it also says;

“Image type and information need to be specified for each store view.”

I cant see where or how to do this, any help much appreciated.....

thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 5