Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

[1.0] Clean Install Error: simplexml_load_string

c0ldfusi0n

Total Posts:  6
Montreal, QC

Hey everyone.

I downloaded Magento 1.0 following the newletter announcement. Promplty installed it on my Debian server (php5.2.0/apache2) and whenever I try to access the install application, I get a bunch of warnings, most of them like this:

Warning: simplexml_load_string(): Entity: line 1: parser error : String not started expecting ‘ or “ in ........

The full “debug” message (or rather errors) is attached with this post.

Please note that this is a CLEAN INSTALL. Logged in with SSH, used wget to grab the tar.gz, moved it to /var/www/vhosts/somedomain.com/magento and chmod’d everything according to the install guide. Nothing more.

File Attachments
magentoError.txt  (File Size: 23KB - Downloads: 525)

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

c0ldfusi0n

Montreal, QC

I have rm -Rf’d the magento files I had, retried the following:

tar -zxf magento-1.0.tar.gz
chmod o+w var var/.htaccess app/etc
chmod -R o+w media

Yields the exact same error.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

Could you please attach app/etc/config.xml file? (comes with distribution)

Magento Community
Magento Community

c0ldfusi0n

Montreal, QC

Here it is. That is, however, the default config.xml not modified from the original package.

File Attachments
config.xml  (File Size: 17KB - Downloads: 180)

Magento Community
Magento Community

c0ldfusi0n

Montreal, QC

*anyone*?
this is a serious clean install bug, I can’t believe no one has a solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Moshe
Magento Team

Total Posts:  1770
Los Angeles

@c0ldfusi0n: there were no reports of other instances of this specific problem, which makes me think it’s something local. I’ll try to help you when i’ll get to the office. it is 4am here now rasberry

Magento Community
Magento Community

c0ldfusi0n

Montreal, QC

is there a list of dependencies somewhere? required packages or something. there’s obviously something wrong with either the syntax or simplexml

I tried installing it on a completely different host and server.... and it yields a “Internal Server Error”.

Magento Community
Magento Community

c0ldfusi0n

Montreal, QC

I found a fix for the problem mentioned in the first post.

Just set to ‘Off’ magic_quotes_gpc and magic_quotes_runtime in /etc/php5/apache2/php.ini

Now you can move on to other problems. Right now, I managed to start the installation… but for some odd reason, Magento believes that I have mysql4 and tries to interact with the server, which is mysql5.
Error in file: “/var/www/vhosts/somedomain.com/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Review/sql/review_setup/mysql4-upgrade-0.7.0-0.7.1.php” - SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 1005 Can’t create table ‘./magento/#sql-95f_33.frm’ (errno: 121)

/sigh

Plus you know what’s sweet? After that error, EVERY TIME i try to access the setup, the install, the config, I get redirected directly to that. So that means i have to do the *whole process* of installation again. This is not a very good start. This is the error message I get whenever I try going back to the root of the site.
Error in file: “/var/www/vhosts/aomedomain.com/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/sql/core_setup/mysql4-install-0.8.0.php” - SQLSTATE[42S01]: Base table or view already exists: 1050 Table ‘core_resource’ already exists.
And the really funny part - when I use mysql from the command line to drop and re-create the database, magento brilliantly redirects me to....
mysite.com followed by about twenty “index.php/install/index.php/install/index.php/...” and ending with ?SID=F-XCFsI8V8ylHGyampuYe0o2lO

So, another update.

This doesn’t make sense to me.
Apparently, Magento successfully creates some table (sometimes 154, sometiems 206...) tables. But at some point just throws an error that it can’t create a table.
mysql> show tables;
Tables_in_magento
[ ... ]
154 rows in set (0.00 sec)

Another update:

When leaving the configuration (Currency, Locale) to default, everything seems to work fine. What’s up with that? It didn’t work with Eastern Time Zone and Canadian Dollar.

Now, the rewrites is the problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community

shuron

Total Posts:  58

Have exaclu the same behavior with latest magento 1.1.3 full version
But my MySQL is 4.1.22

Does anybody hav an idea?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Antonio López

Total Posts:  2

I have the same problems, sometimes create 30 tables, sometimes 100… i cant found the solution.

I’m installing last version 1.2.1.2.

My php.info:
PHP Version 5.2.8

System Linux fencom01.fenixer.net 2.6.23.17-88.fc7 #1 SMP Thu May 15 00:02:29 EDT 2008 x86_64
Build Date Dec 24 2008 12:05:28
Configure Command ‘./configure’ ‘--enable-bcmath’ ‘--enable-calendar’ ‘--enable-discard-path’ ‘--enable-exif’ ‘--enable-ftp’ ‘--enable-gd-native-ttf’ ‘--enable-libxml’ ‘--enable-magic-quotes’ ‘--enable-mbstring’ ‘--enable-pdo=shared’ ‘--enable-safe-mode’ ‘--enable-sockets’ ‘--enable-wddx’ ‘--enable-zip’ ‘--prefix=/usr/local’ ‘--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache/bin/apxs’ ‘--with-curl=/opt/curlssl/’ ‘--with-curlwrappers’ ‘--with-freetype-dir=/usr’ ‘--with-gd’ ‘--with-gettext’ ‘--with-imap=/opt/php_with_imap_client/’ ‘--with-imap-ssl=/usr’ ‘--with-jpeg-dir=/usr’ ‘--with-kerberos’ ‘--with-libdir=lib64’ ‘--with-libexpat-dir=/usr’ ‘--with-libxml-dir=/opt/xml2/’ ‘--with-mcrypt=/opt/libmcrypt/’ ‘--with-mysql=/usr’ ‘--with-mysql-sock=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock’ ‘--with-mysqli=/usr/bin/mysql_config’ ‘--with-openssl=/usr’ ‘--with-openssl-dir=/usr’ ‘--with-pdo-mysql=shared’ ‘--with-pdo-sqlite=shared’ ‘--with-pic’ ‘--with-png-dir=/usr’ ‘--with-pspell’ ‘--with-sqlite=shared’ ‘--with-ttf’ ‘--with-xmlrpc’ ‘--with-xpm-dir=/usr’ ‘--with-xsl=/opt/xslt/’ ‘--with-zlib’ ‘--with-zlib-dir=/usr’
Server API Apache
Virtual Directory Support disabled
Configuration File (php.ini) Path /usr/local/lib
Loaded Configuration File /usr/local/lib/php.ini
Scan this dir for additional .ini files (none)
additional .ini files parsed (none)
PHP API 20041225
PHP Extension 20060613
Zend Extension 220060519
Debug Build no
Thread Safety disabled
Zend Memory Manager enabled
IPv6 Support enabled
Registered PHP Streams zip, php, file, data, tftp, ftp, telnet, dict, ldap, http, https, ftps, compress.zlib
Registered Stream Socket Transports tcp, udp, unix, udg, ssl, sslv3, sslv2, tls
Registered Stream Filters string.rot13, string.toupper, string.tolower, string.strip_tags, convert.*, consumed, convert.iconv.*, zlib.*

Please, i need solve it

Thanks,
Antonio López

Magento Community
Magento Community

danieldwarwick

Total Posts:  7

I have a solution - fuck magento.  They create a shitty buggy free version that is near impossible to make it work and be consistent so that you’ll spend the $9,000 or however much for the full version.  I installed magento because I didn’t want to spend the time creating my own shopping cart but in hindsight I have spent just as much time reading through these dead end forums for every single bug that this lousy program contains.

Magento Community
Magento Community

scott01

Total Posts:  1

old post I know, but I just had this problem and thought this might help someone else.

I got this error on a completely fresh install after installing the sample data package then proceeding with the install and specifying a table prefix for magento in the installer.

After removing the magento files, re-unpacking them, and running the installer again without specifying a table prefix the installer proceeded without problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community