Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Magento Caches EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!! 

erictr1ck

Total Posts:  56

So, I just installed Magento 1.3.2.1. The install went quite well. However, It caches EVERYTHING. When I say everything, I mean things like admin pages, cart pages, and well EVERYTHING. There is no way the cart is usable because of this. For instance, If I put an item in the shopping cart, then add another item, it will bring me to the cart but wont reflect the newly added product. I have to manually clear the cache in the browser in order to see the newly updated cart. Same thing in the admin, if I update a products description or price, it wont show untill I clear the browser cache.

I have tried disabling the cache in the admin, deleting the cache from the server, nothing works. I have had an older version of magento on the same server before without problems. Any suggestions?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NeilA

Total Posts:  1372
Blue Mountains, Oz

Sounds to me like either your browser or a server setting causing the problem.
If you are turning off the cache in Magento and deleting the cached files, it can’t be that, can it?

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

erictr1ck

Its a REALLY weird thing. Also, to me its happening on all broswers, I even tried on two different machines. Browsers tested are Firefox, IE 6 - 8, and Safari for Mac. All have the same behavior. Just oout of curiosity, I also tried running Magento in CGI mode and still got the same results. It must be something with the host, but what could it be?!?!?!

Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

What’s the URL?

Sounds like a webserver issue to me.

Magento Community
Magento Community

erictr1ck

fixed it by putting the following at the very top of header.phtml in both the frontend and admin template:

<?php
header("Expires: Mon, 26 Jul 1990 05:00:00 GMT");
header("Last-Modified: " . gmdate("D, d M Y H:i:s", time() + 300) . " GMT");
header("Cache-Control: no-cache, must-revalidate");
header("Pragma: no-cache");
?>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Pragma" CONTENT="no-cache">
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Cache-Control" CONTENT="no-cache">

this isnt exactly a magento issue, but maybe the default template should have this included to prevent this problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Twan

Total Posts:  12

with all due respect… that is a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut…

There is nothing wrong with the default template since it works in numerous other environments...?  Surely you want caching, not prevent caching...?  However caching needs to be appropriate.

Have you checked simple things like timestamps on files, time on both the workstation and the server, etc.?

Cheers
Twan

Magento Community
Magento Community

erictr1ck

Twan - 11 August 2009 12:24 AM

with all due respect… that is a bit like using a sledgehammer to crack a nut…

There is nothing wrong with the default template since it works in numerous other environments...?  Surely you want caching, not prevent caching...?  However caching needs to be appropriate.

Have you checked simple things like timestamps on files, time on both the workstation and the server, etc.?

Cheers
Twan

with all due respect… I already fixed it. See me previous post.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Twan

Total Posts:  12

I saw that you fixed it, but using a completely excessive and inappropriate solution… Hence the sledge hammer/nut analogy…

You want browsers and proxies to cache content, otherwise your server(s) are not going to scale.  I’ve done performance tuning on sites with millions of page views per day, and trust me, caching is a blessing…

There has to be something wrong with your infrastructure somewhere, however if you are happy without any caching, then I’m certainly ok with that… As your site gets busier you will get performance problems though

Cheers
Twan

Magento Community
Magento Community

erictr1ck

Twan - 11 August 2009 04:35 AM

I saw that you fixed it, but using a completely excessive and inappropriate solution… Hence the sledge hammer/nut analogy…

You want browsers and proxies to cache content, otherwise your server(s) are not going to scale.  I’ve done performance tuning on sites with millions of page views per day, and trust me, caching is a blessing…

There has to be something wrong with your infrastructure somewhere, however if you are happy without any caching, then I’m certainly ok with that… As your site gets busier you will get performance problems though

Cheers
Twan

The magento server caching does still work. I suppose also what I could do is only put that code on pages that arent admin or checkout / cart related.

Magento Community
Magento Community

aroha

Total Posts:  26
Napier

i have the same issue. I’m using 1.3.1 and i have gone into my root_catalog category to change the products associated to this category. admin/category shows that i have different products associated to my category but in the front end i still see the old products.

I have cleared my history and the cache several times with no luck… i have even disabled root_catalog and still it displays these old products. i’m confused and have hit the wall.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community