Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Recommended way of setting this up?  (Car parts)

davedavedave

Total Posts:  238

What would be the best suggested way of setting up a store selling car parts?  The main concern here is because essentially a user would be looking for parts for say a 2002 Nissan 350Z.  So, done by category I would have things setup as follows:

Products > Nissan > Altima > Exterior > Product name

That means for each make and model I would need to setup a ton of categories like exterior, interior, wheels, etc.  And that doesn’t even technically take care of the car year (for example the part only fits 2002-2004 Nissan 350Z, versus 2002-2006 Nissan 350Z).

Should this be setup better through attributes somehow?  Not really sure I know the best way to do this with Magento…

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

flowstack

Total Posts:  159
London, United Kingdom

I think layered navigation would work nicely for this.

You would have to make a ‘car attribute set’ and add all the attributes you need such as year, interior/exterior, model, etc.

Then assign this attribute set to any new item you add in your store.

The user could then drill down or search for what they wanted in the layered navigation.

It would be like the camera section in the Magento store. You can drill down by megapixels, colour, etc., even though all items are listed under the one category of cameras.

Magento Community
Magento Community

davedavedave

Total Posts:  238

Flowstack - 01 April 2008 04:29 AM

I think layered navigation would work nicely for this.

You would have to make a ‘car attribute set’ and add all the attributes you need such as year, interior/exterior, model, etc.

Then assign this attribute set to any new item you add in your store.

The user could then drill down or search for what they wanted in the layered navigation.

It would be like the camera section in the Magento store. You can drill down by megapixels, colour, etc., even though all items are listed under the one category of cameras.

That definitely makes things easier, but I’m currently stuck in the best way to set this up with car years.  Let me give you an example:

Say I have a product that is compatible with these cars:

- 1994 Nissan Altima
- 2004 Nissan 350Z
- 2008 Infiniti G35

Now I have a scope of years 1994-2008.  The filtered navigation is not smart enough to know that if you choose Nissan, only show 350Z, and if you choose 350Z only show the years 2003-2008.  Any suggestions this?  I don’t want to have a huge list of stuff on the layered nav with like 20 different years, every make, every model, etc.  It should almost be so that it doesn’t show one until the one above has been chosen.  Or even a dropdown list on the layered nav would be useful.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community