Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 2
1-click installer now available for 1.0 (plus sample data)

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/?url=http://www.pinkmarzipantest.com/&treeview;=0&column;=objectIDℴ=1&type;=0&save;=true

According to the test results above your website runs pretty well in Split-Shared.  3.5 second average pageload time for Magento is really quite acceptable - compare this to the over 11 seconds you find with the likes of MediaTemple.

I would be happy to work with you to improve the performance of Magento in Split-Shared hosting, however at 3.5 second load times, including the flash on the front page I am just not sure there is much room for improvement in shared hosting.

Please let us know how we can best assist you.

Kind regards,
Richard

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

TechBundle

Total Posts:  51

Since MediaTemple is being mentioned, we’ve found that Magento (and some other database-heavy applications) don’t work very well in cloud/grid hosting such as Mediatemple’s (gs) service or on Mosso. The database access on these types of hosts is just too slow.

We ended up having to move up to a MediaTemple (dv) and are happy with it so far.

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

@TechBundle - In regards to your cloud computing comment, the testing we’ve done on EC2 produced amazing results. We don’t see a problem with hosting Magento on a cloud computing environment.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tim [at] Sprout

Total Posts:  8
Orange County, CA

We have been testing various hosting platforms with Magento since version .9. There is definitely something going on in these cloud environments that creates extreme lag time on page loads with Magento. Especially with “Add to Cart”.

I’m not sure that the problem lies with Magento but it would be interesting to have Varien involved in testing with hosts like Mosso to see what it is that is causing these lag times.

So far the fastest “shared” hosting (reasonably priced share hosting) we have found to run Magento is with Crucial. Our testing goes on smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

TechBundle

I haven’t tested Magento on EC2, but I was sometimes getting 15+ second page loads on Mosso using Magento 0.8 and 0.9.

MediaTemple’s grid service was slightly better, probably averaging around 10 seconds.

I haven’t tested 1.0 on either service, because we had already decided that those times were just unacceptable and moved over to MediaTemple’s dedicated virtual service, where we are getting less than 5 seconds on most page loads (usually around 2-3 seconds).

In regards to the cloud hosting services, we tried static pages with a lot of heavy content (just as a test) and they would load extremely fast, but anything involving a database had a lot of extra loading time.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

I didn’t really want to have to say this but since you(Crucial) went over the line today, I have a word for you.

Your hosting environment on Split Shared, will not be able to match the performance of our zero-overselling hosting or any zero-overselling hosting for that matters.

Why do you even try?

Out of all companies, technically wise, your company has the weakest infrastructure for performance.

Split Shared, don’t make me laugh.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TechBundle

I do not know and do not care whether the things said and pointed out about SimpleHelix are true or not. I have no vested interest in either outcome.

But I do have to say that your responses to the controversy are extremely unprofessional. If, as you say, all you care about is the numbers then let the numbers do the talking and stop spouting off on the forums. Your responses today are far more unprofessional and will drive away more business than the original controversy ever would have.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

I don’t know why you are posting your company’s benchmark numbers on our company’s 1 click installer thread, seems a bit ‘unethical’ to me.

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt/?url=mag1.simplehelix.com&treeview;=0&column;=objectIDℴ=1&type;=0&save;=true
mag1.simplehelix.com
posted 1.8 seconds now

I’m pretty sure if that site that you have was hosted with us, it would get numbers close to 1 second

If you are going to post something on my thread, atleast post numbers that are faster. You are just making yourself look bad.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tim [at] Sprout

Total Posts:  8
Orange County, CA

I agree with Tech, this is not the place for this and the posts from Simple Helix are very unprofessional, aggressive, and lible. There is no need for personal attacks here and it seems the majority of the posts by SH are inflammatory.

This thread has some very informative information in it, and we don’t want these attacks to get in the way of an open discussion on how we might improve performance of the software on various hosting platforms.

As far as “threads”, Varien / Magento owns this thread. If you want to control what is posted in a forum you should post in your own forum. Your attitude is going to do far more harm to your business that anything posted by someone else.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crucial Web Host
Guru

Total Posts:  364
Phoenix, AZ

SimpleHelix - Please do not do this.

We are all here being professionals.  I congratulated you on your well deserved page load times.

Your attacks are unwarranted and I have no reason to argue with you here or elsewhere.  Your comments clearly do you no favors.

Regards,
Richard

Magento Community
Magento Community

RoyRubin
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  968
Los Angeles, CA

Tim - you are right. Thread closed.

Magento Community