Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Skip import row, required field “store” not defined

AnnaM
Guru

Total Posts:  325
San Francisco

gabrielk - 07 May 2008 01:24 PM

I fixed this problem by setting “default” as the name of the store in the csv, and modifying the import profile by selecting a website to import to (rather than leaving it as the root site).

As a side note to AnnaM, I remember reading a response from someone from Mangeto to a thread (or maybe it was in the “known issues” release notes) that DataFlow does not currently map configurable and grouped products.  In my case, I created a stand-alone php script that reads the product database and creates a catalog_product_super_link record to link the simple products to their parent configurable products via MPN (manufacturer’s part number, a custom attribute that is shared between simple and configurable products, and is not unique for each products like sku is).

Gabrielk, well my yfirst response is HUH?  LOL Sounds good, but I don’t follow, what exatly does this mean?

modifying the import profile by selecting a website to import to (rather than leaving it as the root site).

wht and where did you change in the spreadsheet, or csv file? I don’t follow.  The profile imports to var/export.  Not sure I understand you.

I do have default for the store, but not understanding the rest of your message.

as for teh script is it anything you could make work for my prods for some fee?  Thanks, have a good evening.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

gabrielk

Total Posts:  83

AnnaM - 07 May 2008 02:58 PM

Gabrielk, well my yfirst response is HUH?  LOL Sounds good, but I don’t follow, what exatly does this mean?

modifying the import profile by selecting a website to import to (rather than leaving it as the root site).

See the attached screenshot to make this clearer.

wht and where did you change in the spreadsheet, or csv file? I don’t follow.  The profile imports to var/export.  Not sure I understand you.

Basically, after making the change shown in the screenshot I attached, you should:
1) Create a “demo” product in Magento through the manual interface.
2) Run the “export” profile.
3) View the output of the export and use that as a basis for your own product import csv.
4) You’ll need to change the value of “store” to “default”.  Combined with the change to the import profile outlined in the screenshot I attached, this should solve the “store does not exist” problem.

as for teh script is it anything you could make work for my prods for some fee?  Thanks, have a good evening.

Unfortunately I don’t have time for any new work.  Also attached is the class I created for “manually” creating a configurable product from a simple product using the custom field “mpn” as a key between the two (the simple products’ “mpn” value must match the sku of the configurable product you want to attach them to). This class requires the ezSQL database class found here.

I cannot provide any sort of support for the attached script, nor can I guarantee it will work for you.  It’s PHP code, so use and modification of it requires an understanding of PHP.  This isn’t any sort of module or “contribution” as such, just something I use for the purpose stated above, and perhaps it will help others.

Image Attachments
import-profile-settings.jpg
File Attachments
simpleProductToConfigurableProduct.php  (File Size: 11KB - Downloads: 699)

Magento Community
Magento Community

finch8243

Total Posts:  79

Disregard—you already did.

Magento Community
Magento Community

j.morell

Total Posts:  23

srinigenie - 02 May 2008 12:40 AM

finally found the issue ...the issue seems to be with the data where there are special characters that HTML doesnot understand .... try removing all special characters and upload, I think that will work ...
http://webdesign.about.com/library/bl_htmlcodes.htm

I think you’re on to something here. Having product descriptions with special characters in seems to mess things up, but you have to put the special characters into product names… Just to make life more interesting. Unfortunately I work a company that sells a lot of language products, and this is driving me mad!

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

Ok, got it now! I was doing all that you were saying except on export I was not selecting the website from the dropdown. So I redid my export profile and saved it with the wwebsite view selected and exectued the export, then was able to modify it with a new product and it imported without the error. Thank you very much! I am a little dense sometimes, but will get it eventually.  It was the export where I was messing it up.  Seems you cannot use that top line at all, in export or import, even if you use it in both profiles.

And thanks for the script. If I cannot deal with it, 50/50 at best, I do have a php guru who works with me who should be able to.

Thanks again.  I appreciate it
Anna

gabrielk - 08 May 2008 05:47 AM

See the attached screenshot to make this clearer.

Basically, after making the change shown in the screenshot I attached, you should:
1) Create a “demo” product in Magento through the manual interface.
2) Run the “export” profile.
3) View the output of the export and use that as a basis for your own product import csv.
4) You’ll need to change the value of “store” to “default”.  Combined with the change to the import profile outlined in the screenshot I attached, this should solve the “store does not exist” problem.

Unfortunately I don’t have time for any new work.  Also attached is the class I created for “manually” creating a configurable product from a simple product using the custom field “mpn” as a key between the two (the simple products’ “mpn” value must match the sku of the configurable product you want to attach them to). This class requires the ezSQL database class found here.

I cannot provide any sort of support for the attached script, nor can I guarantee it will work for you.  It’s PHP code, so use and modification of it requires an understanding of PHP.  This isn’t any sort of module or “contribution” as such, just something I use for the purpose stated above, and perhaps it will help others.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TJNevis

Total Posts:  40

This worked for me as well!  I’ve been trying to get the csv import to work for about a week.  It looks like when you export it on your specific store view (to get the headers to use) is different than when you export Default Admin, I noticed 2 fields that I added are in a different order and it doesn’t have as much information at the end of each line.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TJNevis

I’ve also noticed that if you are going to edit your csv manually, using notepad downloading from your FTP client (for example), you have to upload it back in ASCII.  For my FTP client, LeapFTP, if I upload a csv from my harddrive that was done in excel, on auto upload, it will upload it in ASCII, but when I go to edit the csv to add another product manually, Magento won’t read it correctly unless I specify LeapFTP to upload it back in ASCII - even though that is what it does on auto...weird...it is also chmod’ed to 644.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TJNevis

OK, well that is figured out, the basics.  I have a Wholesale attribute that I’ve been inputting (when I was manually inputting the items) but when I export items, it doesn’t show that attribute, so I can’t add that when I try to import a csv.  The wholesale attribute I am talking about is in the Price section when you are adding an item.

Also, for the images, I have “/item.gif” under the image column in the csv file and the images in media/import, but it does not seem to connect when I import a product.

Thanks for all your help!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

TJNevis - 11 May 2008 06:20 AM

OK, well that is figured out, the basics.  I have a Wholesale attribute that I’ve been inputting (when I was manually inputting the items) but when I export items, it doesn’t show that attribute, so I can’t add that when I try to import a csv.  The wholesale attribute I am talking about is in the Price section when you are adding an item.

Also, for the images, I have “/item.gif” under the image column in the csv file and the images in media/import, but it does not seem to connect when I import a product.

Thanks for all your help!!

TJ, I have found it best to open the csv in Open Office Spreadsheet (free open source replacement for MS Office, great proudtc) and do the editing there.  Its kind of a pain to edit sreadsheets though, if you want to change one letter in a field you have to click it like 3 times, first to select it, the double click it to put it in edit mode, then click where you want to change the letter.

I think this would be easier if there was a csv editor that aligns all the columns nicely. Do you know of any such thing? If you can just edit it all in a regualr ascii txt editor, which aligns the columsn, it wuld be much easier than a spreadsheet IMO.  BTW, after you make addtions to the spreadsheet, then youi tell OO to save it as a csv.  Your ftp program should recongize csv as an ascii format. Most ftp programs have a “"anuto" feature which will recongize if the file is binary or ascii.  Try CuteFTP, great program with many features.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TJNevis

Great advice Anna =) I am going to take a break for today.  Of the products I have imported, the categories are entered correct and are checked when you go into the item and look at the Category section...but you have to open each item and save it for the item to show up on the front end.  This importing has been hectic, still haven’t gotten the pictures to hook up either.  I probably just need to refresh my mind and come back - it’s probably something simple!

Magento Community
Magento Community

AnnaM
Guru

San Francisco

TJNevis - 11 May 2008 12:43 PM

Great advice Anna =) I am going to take a break for today.  Of the products I have imported, the categories are entered correct and are checked when you go into the item and look at the Category section...but you have to open each item and save it for the item to show up on the front end.  This importing has been hectic, still haven’t gotten the pictures to hook up either.  I probably just need to refresh my mind and come back - it’s probably something simple!

what version are you using? that is old stuff you are experiencing..

I used to have that problem with having to enable each for the store but it went away long ago, wish I could remember what I did that fixed it. Something I learend on the forum or from Mark Kimsal.  The pics too, are you using 1.0?  if the pics are uploaded to /media/import and notated in csv as /file.jpg it HAS to work LOL well it does for me and I think most others too.  I never had it work in fact until I learend those two things /media/import and /filename.jpg Now it always works.

As for enabling the products I will have to think about that, seems there was some simple way to fix that. It hasn’t happened to me in many weeeks.  Wish I had a better memory, but maybe somebody else reading this will refresh our memory. Its not a hard fix, I just can’t remember what the heck it was!

you do realize that you need to first manaully setup each category and manually add one product to it, and then export?  This is what gives you the correct catgory ids etc.  so oyou can then use that export as a template and edit it to add new products to that same category. Best thing you could do is probably one category at a time, not tons all at once. When you export you can tell it only skus that start with such and such, which for me works, as each product line starts with differrent letters in the skus.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TJNevis

Hey Anna, I have the categories set up and I went into phpMyAdmin to read the category_varchar, or whatever that database was, and wrote down the right IDs for each category.  It is strange because the category is checked, even when I go look at it, but I have to press save in the product for it to actually go on the front end.  I have the newest release of 1.0, I just updated Friday.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Chang

Total Posts:  16

I fixed the “ Notice: unserialize() [function.unserialize]:” error by removing single quote character from the product name.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ryanr

Total Posts:  14

MY SOLUTION:

I experienced a similar problem.  To fix it, I just started saving the file in Excel as an XML 2003 format in excel.  Change the import profile in Magento for XML and upload the file.  Hopefully, this works for you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Crestview Doors

Total Posts:  18

I had this same problem but only if I used the “Interactive” feature.  If I uploaded the file to the local server, then I did not have this problem.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community