Magento Forum

Migrate an existing site into Magento

blwizard

Total Posts:  2

What is the best way to migrate an existing html site into Magento? (newbie here, please be patient!)
I have a regular static html site hosted a dreamhost and want to “turn it into” an e-commerce site.
What is the best way of accomplishing this with minimum downtime?

Thanks

Ben

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

golles

Total Posts:  257

it really will depend on how your site is structured now.

if it just straight static content that has no products etc - you could quickly recreate these pages in the magento cms.
then you just need to configure the ecommerce part of magento add products, set up shipping, payment processing etc etc etc and off you go.

if your site already has products / ecommerce functionality then you will need to either copy these products into magento with all of the associated product information or do some type of import although I doubt that is feasable if you just have static html pages.

you will also need to 301 redirect your old pages to the new magento powered pages.

or

you could just add magento to your existing site as the store part of the site

let us know a bit more about how your site is structured and one of us will be able to give a bit more help

Magento Community
Magento Community

blwizard

Total Posts:  2

Thanks for your reply.
There’s no e-commerce on the site now.
My question is really:
I think I will need to rebuild the site into magento from scratch, on a “test domain” in dreamhost.
When the site is ready, what is the best way to remove the old html site and put the magento one in it’s place?
How does the redirect work? (especially wrt the database?)

Thanks again

Magento Community
Magento Community

golles

Total Posts:  257

the redirect has nothing to do with magento it is standard practice for urls to be redirected via a method called a 301 redirect to a new url.

this is best done in the .htaccess file on the site and is very simple to implement - you simply make list of your old page urls and place them in the .htaccess file utilizing the following ‘commands:for each redirect:

Redirect 301 /old/old.html http://www.you.com/new.html

there are lots of methods of redirecting pages but the only one that is safe from a search engines perspective (so the searchengines know that your old pages have moved to their new loacation) is via a 301 redirect

you can read more about redirects here:
http://www.stevenhargrove.com/redirect-web-pages/

hope this helps

Magento Community
Magento Community

flowstack

Total Posts:  159
London, United Kingdom

Alternatively you can build your site locally on your own PC, and then upload it when complete.

With regards to your database question, databases are generally on different servers to your web server. That means you can move your html/php files around without needing to worry about the database.

Magento creates some XML files that contain the information needed about the location of your database when it is installed. Should you need to move your database, you simply update these XML files.

Magento Community
Magento Community

turnon

Total Posts:  129

Can i also use the rewrite rules in the admin ?

Where target path is the new path and requested the old path

or

create a new cms page with the same url and add java in the description field

which one is most google friendly ?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community