Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 2
New header images not being updated

Lee Nugent

Total Posts:  25

Hi there, this may me be a really simple problem for somebody to explain.  I followed the theme design screencast and although my changed phtml and logo.gif files upated as par the screencast when I then went on to create a new ‘header_top_container_bg.jpg’ file it ignores it and defaults to the original file in default\images.  Thanks in advance.  Lee

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ourmaninparis

Total Posts:  40

I have exactly the same problem. I followed the screencast and created a new folder called “SDI” under “Default.” I then created the various sub-folders and added some new files. The logo updates as do the elements that I added under Media but these files don’t: header_top_bg.jpg, header_top_container_bg.jpg, mini_search_bg.gif and nav_bg.jpg.

Perhaps the links to these files are hard wired…

Any ideas?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Syndia

Total Posts:  38
Netherlands, The

You have to turned off Cache in your Administrator Account

Magento Community
Magento Community

ourmaninparis

Hi,

I’ve tried playing around with the cache settings and it makes no difference. It’s strange that some images are updated and others are not.

Any other ideas???

Magento Community
Magento Community

clintec

Total Posts:  4

Try this and see if it has any affect on your outcome…

Place your new logo within the default\images folder:
For example:  Mine is located in (/var/www/apache2/<www.mystore.com>/store/skin/frontend/default/default/images/logo.jpg)

Then ensure that your logo is directed to (images/logo.jpg).

This work out well for me.... and I don’t have Cache Management turned off.

If this still doesn’t work for you… give us an idea as to where you are storing your images and how your phtml is pointed toward it.

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ourmaninparis

Hi Clintec,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don’t have a problem with the logo. This works just fine as do the “media” elements. Its the header images that I’m struggling with. In theory I should be able to add new versions in my new themes folder structure and these will be detected by Magento and replace the originals.

Anybody got the answer? I’m sure its something simple…

Magento Community
Magento Community

ourmaninparis

Hi,

Can anybody help with this. I don’t think I’m alone with this problem as I’ve seen other posts referring to new CSS styles not loading.

I’ve followed Magento’s guidelines and I’m getting frustrated!!!!

Please help!

Shaun.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Andrea, Argentina

Total Posts:  164
Buenos Aires, Argentina

I don’t know if you used another version before. I’ve noticed that my old theming doesn’t works fine when I did the version 1.0 install. Now I’m thinking that the problem is that there is something changed in the structure. Name of files that templates are calling, etc., I’m investigating but do you the same because it’s the only thing that it was suggested to me too.

Good luck and please, tell me your discoveries.

Andrea

Magento Community
Magento Community

ourmaninparis

Hi,

Thanks for your response, but I did a fresh install of Version 1 so I don’t think that’s it.

In reality I think the links to these files are hardwired into the phtml files, which seems really odd. I didn’t want to touch these things I just wanted to skin the existing design as described in the tutorial. I find this odd and keep thinking that I must have missed something.

Cheers

Magento Community
Magento Community

ourmaninparis

I’ve fixed it!!!  grin Hooray.

Here is how I resolved the problem.

I had created a new theme folder called “sdi” under “skin>frontend>default”, recreated the folder structure (without files) from “skin>frontend>default>default” and just added my new images. Mistake number one was that I should have duplicated the files. Mistake number two was that I had not created the same theme folder in the “app>design>frontend>default.” This has to be created even if there is nothing inside it. (Though according to the screencast you can create a theme in the app directory but not in the skin directory and it will still work...consistency anyone!)

In the Magento administration system (system>configuration>design) the screen shots don’t 100% match up with those of the screencast. For a start the “Current package name” has an entry, which is “default.” I assume this to be what is refered to as the “interface” in the screencast. If you haven’t created an interface but have simply created a new theme under “frontend>default” then you don’t need to touch this. In the screencast she adds the name of her theme folder to the “Default” field in the “Themes” section of the page. This does nothing for me; the default theme remains in place. The only way I’ve managed to get things working is to add the name of my theme folder “sdi” to the three fields “Template”, “Skin” and “Layout.”

This works!!!!

I’d still like to know why the screencast version doesn’t though. If anybody finds out then please let me know :)

I hope this help somebody else as it drove me nuts.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SISCO

Total Posts:  2

Hi!

Magento skinning works fine. When you want to replace the image loaded by CSS file, you must upload not only the image file to your custom theme directory ("skin/frontend/default/my_theme/images/"), but also the CSS file referencing it ("header_top_container_bg.jpg" image is loaded by “skin/frontend/default/my_theme/css/boxes.css” style sheet). When you do that, Magento loads your custom CSS file with relative paths to image files ("../images/header_top_container_bg.jpg" for example) and they show up in your browser.

Of course you have to set your custom theme name in Magento Admin - “Themes > Skin (Images / CSS)” section is the only one you must alter for this to work.

Hope this helps wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

mathilda

Total Posts:  15
Frankfurt / Main

Hi all,

helped a lot!

One more question: does that mean, SISCO, that in order to create a new theme it is not necessary -as ourmaninparis did and as I understood the screencast - to duplicate all the folders and files beginning from the second “default” folder?

Is it enough to duplicate only the structure of folders and be aware, that if you upload an new image in the new-theme you also need to upload the referring css file, because of the relative path?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

mathilda - 16 April 2008 11:37 AM

One more question: does that mean, SISCO, that in order to create a new theme it is not necessary -as ourmaninparis did and as I understood the screencast - to duplicate all the folders and files beginning from the second “default” folder?

Correct. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

SISCO

Total Posts:  2

mathilda - 16 April 2008 11:37 AM

Is it enough to duplicate only the structure of folders and be aware, that if you upload an new image in the new-theme you also need to upload the referring css file, because of the relative path?

Not exactly. It’s enough to preserve the folder structure that points to the file you want to alter in your own theme, not the whole folder structure of the default theme. In other words, you don’t need any empty directories in your own theme (they are simply ignored by Magento templating engine).

When you upload your own logo image ("skin/frontend/default/my_theme/images/logo.gif") you don’t have to upload any of CSS files (none of them references logo file). Copies of style sheets in your theme are only needed when you want to alter images loaded by particular CSS file ("skin/frontend/default/my_theme/images/header_top_container_bg.jpg" for example).

I hope it’s clear enough now wink

Magento Community
Magento Community

tmad4000

Total Posts:  3

This screencast seems not to be working anymore. Has it been moved? Is it just me?

Magento Community
Magento Community

pf-iservice

Total Posts:  7

I will raise this issue again. The screencast is available but seems to be outdated.

Just installed 1.1.6. Now the file header.phtml has no “hard coded” links.
Instead of “images/logo.gif” I see a PHP-Reference called $this->getLogoSrc();.

The change of the logo with the same name works in my tests only if I rename/delete the original logo.gif.
Looks very strange to me. So how can convince Magento to use my image?

From my point of view it is not a good solution to replace the ref with hardcoded data. wink

regards
jo

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 2