Magento Forum

Uninstall problems

Jason J

Total Posts:  79

I installed this extension to try it out, not realising it was a paid-for extension. I then uninstalled it and have been unable to get into the admin screens again. I get this error now when attempting to access even the login screen:

WarningVarien_Autoload::include(Mage/Pap/Model/Observer.php[varien-autoload.include]failed to open streamNo such file or directory  in /var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs/magento/lib/Varien/Autoload.php on line 93
Trace
:
#0 /var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs/magento/lib/Varien/Autoload.php(93): mageCoreErrorHandler(2, 'Varien_Autoload...', '/var/www/vhosts...', 93, Array)
#1 /var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs/magento/lib/Varien/Autoload.php(93): Varien_Autoload::autoload()
#2 [internal function]: Varien_Autoload->autoload('Mage_Pap_Model_...')
#3 [internal function]: spl_autoload_call('Mage_Pap_Model_...')
#4 /var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config.php(1084): class_exists('Mage_Pap_Model_...')
#5 /var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs/magento/app/Mage.php(319): Mage_Core_Model_Config->getModelInstance('pap/observer', Array)
#6 /var/www/vhosts/example.com/httpdocs/magento/app/Mage.php(333): Mage::getModel('pap/observer', Array)

I installed and uninstalled from the command line, both without any errors reported.

-- Jason

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Jason J

Reinstalling has allowed me to access the admin screens again. I guess I will need to wait for an upgrade before I am able to uninstall, unless there is some kind of cache that can be cleaned out (though obviously not via the non-functional admin screens)?

-- Jason

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageGuys
Guru

Total Posts:  380

Jason,

I just need to clarify, the connector is free. It connects to a service that is not free, but the connector is. Just like Magento is free, but servers and credit card processors are not.

Now, let’s fix your problem.

First, the problem is with the install/uninstall tool, not the connector. I have no idea why this tool does such a miserable job of installing/uninstalling things, but it does. It corrupted my entire store when I used it once to do an update. Cost me 8 hours of my life and I’ll never use it again.

I highly recommend manual installs, and in this case you’ll need to do a manual uninstall. Remove the following:
1. app/code/local/Mage/Pap
2. app/design/frontend/default/default/layout/pap.xml
3. app/design/frontend/default/default/template/pap
4. app/etc/modules/Mage_Pap.xml

If that doesn’t fix it you may have fallen victim to one of several caching bugs in Magento, but we’ll cross that bridge if we get there.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jason J

Thank you for your response. Firstly, thanks for correcting my misunderstanding. The link the notification message sent me to did not make it clear to me that the extension would function without the additional services. Perhaps I should spend more time reading the documentation.

What I am ultimately looking for, is a way to track a new customer who arrives from another site (presumably through a unique URL) and log that referrer against their account. This extension looked like it covered that, so I’ll dig a little deeper before attempting to uninstall it.

When installing, I always try to use the command-line version solely to get around the various file permission problems. However, with various files being written by the web service and others being written by the shell user, it is probably no surprise that it does not run as smoothly as it should.

The other problem is that the extension packages are all nice and convenient, but when something goes wrong, it is so much harder to work out how to fix it. There is probably a pear tool somewhere that analyses a package and provides a summary of what it does, but I have not found such a package yet.

So - thanks for the manual steps. If the extension does what I need, that that would be great. If I need the additional services further down the line, then I’ll pay for those too, but at the moment I am just trying things out to see what really works for me.

-- Jason

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jason J

I’ve removed those files and directories, and am getting the same error again, so presumably I am now hitting the cacheing bugs.

This one:

app/code/local/Pap

is actually:

app/code/local/Mage/Pap

There are 16 cache folders, “mage--0” to “mage--f”. Should I just delete all their contents?

-- Jason

Edit: yes, that worked. I just zapped all the folders under var/cache/ and they got recreated and everything is back working now. To Magento’s credit, the file permissions it left on those cache folders and files made it easy to do with the FTP user. Most systems make the job impossible without root access (which I have got, but never like using to do recursive deletes).

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageGuys
Guru

I’ve fixed the mistake in the path, thanks for pointing that out.

The packages contain an XML file that defines the structure. You should be able to figure out what the package installs pretty easily using the XML file.

I’m afraid there may still be a disconnect in our communication about the PAP connector itself. Let me try to explain it differently.

I work for Priacta, Inc. which is a Time Management Training company located in Virginia, USA. We needed affiliate software for our own affiliate program, and after some research settled on PAP, however, there was no system in place for integrating the required PAP tracking code into Magento. We asked the company who produces PAP (named Quality Unit, I’m not sure where they are located) if they would provide integration instructions. After a few days and no reply, we decided to do it ourselves. Once done, we decided to provide our module for free to anyone else who needed it. The connector is only designed to work with PAP, and without it is probably useless, but it’s still free.

To put this into perspective, there are 177 payment gateway extensions listed in Magento Connect. Of these, 79 are “free.” This doesn’t mean that the payment gateway is free, (it never is) but the code which allows Magento to use it is free. There are also 92 commercial payment gateway extensions. These are NOT free. If you want to use them, you have to pay the developer of the extension a fee in addition to whatever the payment gateway charges. Priacta provides the extension free of charge, but Quality Unit does charge for PAP itself.

The notification message you saw and the links were added after a number of people contacted us confused about the connector. They expected that it somehow worked alone (not realizing that it simply functions as a bridge between Magento and PAP.) This DID fix the confusion, but I can see how it might look a bit like a bait and switch to anyone who didn’t already have PAP. I’ll look at this and see if there is any way this could be made to communicate better. If you have any recommendations I’d love to hear them.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jason J

I think I was one of those that was confused, thinking that it worked alone. That is my fault entirely.

It’s been a great learning experience for me if anything, having dived into the core of modules I would not have otherwise even looked at, with your simple and clear explanations. I’m a lot better equipped now to deal with common Magento installation issues than I was before.

Thank you.

-- Jason

Magento Community
Magento Community

walltoolsllc

Total Posts:  146

Bug Slayer - 29 July 2009 04:32 PM

Jason,

I just need to clarify, the connector is free. It connects to a service that is not free, but the connector is. Just like Magento is free, but servers and credit card processors are not.

First, the problem is with the install/uninstall tool, not the connector. I have no idea why this tool does such a miserable job of installing/uninstalling things, but it does. It corrupted my entire store when I used it once to do an update. Cost me 8 hours of my life and I’ll never use it again.

I highly recommend manual installs, and in this case you’ll need to do a manual uninstall. Remove the following:

If that doesn’t fix it you may have fallen victim to one of several caching bugs in Magento, but we’ll cross that bridge if we get there.

I too am trying to uninstall PAP4 since I am not using it.  Now that I have removed the files mentioned above we CANNOT log into the backend of our website admin?  Please help!  We are blind!  Thanks so much.

Magento Community
Magento Community

MageGuys
Guru

You probably just need to delete the contents of /var/cache.

Magento Community
Magento Community

walltoolsllc

Total Posts:  146

constructaid - 26 August 2011 12:03 PM

Bug Slayer - 29 July 2009 04:32 PM
Jason,

I too am trying to uninstall PAP4 since I am not using it.  Now that I have removed the files mentioned above we CANNOT log into the backend of our website admin?  Please help!  We are blind!  Thanks so much.

Seems that I fixed the login problem.  I deleted the cache and sessions files located in the var dir.  Now I can login once again.

Magento Community
Magento Community

imaginationx

Total Posts:  6

Hello,

Can you tell me which database tables are exclusive to the Post Affiliate Pro Connector. We would like a full un-installation including tables that are safe to delete.

Thanks in advance,
JB

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community