Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Godaddy Installation instructions

Tritoxo

Total Posts:  1

I try to install on economy godaddy, linux os, and after unzipping magento I do not see the _sh file in order to proceed to move.
Some help there?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

John34

Total Posts:  33

To install on GoDaddy, do this:

....make sure you’re using Linux hosting (much easier)

1. Download Magento: Download the latest full install of Magento and unzip on your hard drive. This should give you a folder named /Magento. The files contained inside this directory are the ones you will want to upload to your root (or subdirectory if you prefer).

2. Set up MySQL Database: Log into your web hosting control panel and in the top row of tabs hover your mouse over Databases. From the drop down, click MySQL. Follow the instructions and set up a database. Make sure to use the latest version (I think it’s 5 at this time - there will be a selection for it on the right - choose 5).

Make note of your Username (also will be your Database Name, they are the same) and password. While your database sets itself up, move on to step 3.

3. Upload Magento: FTP the unzipped files from step 1 to your root or directory you want Magento located in. Remember, if you want it installed in root, don’t upload the folder /Magento (what you see when you unzip the download), rather - upload the files inside it (i.e. /404, /downloader, /app, etc.).  This will take a while to upload.

4. Edit .htaccess & php.ini.sample: For GoDaddy, you will need to edit these files as follows:

.htaccess

Click the check box next to the .htaccess file and then click the Edit button up above in the menu options.
Near the top of the code, you should see this:

############################################
## GoDaddy specific options

#Options -MultiViews

Remove the # in front of the word Options. So it should now look like this:

## GoDaddy specific options

Options -MultiViews

Next, you will need to tell GoDaddy where your install is. Still within the .htaccess file, look for this line of code:

## you can put here your magento root folder
## path relative to web root

#RewriteBase /Magento

First, remove the # in front of the word RewriteBase (if there is a # there currently). Second, if you FTP’d all your files to the root, then remove the word Magento. In the case you installed Magento to your root directory, the code should look like this:

## you can put here your magento root folder
## path relative to web root

RewriteBase /

If you installed it in a subdirectory, say /store, then that last line would look like this: RewriteBase /store

php.ini.sample

We need to a) rename and b) edit this file.

a) Tick the check box next to this file and then click Rename from the top row of menu options. Rename this file to php5.ini
b) Open the php5.ini file like you did the .htaccess file to edit it.
Add this line of code to the very bottom of the file (just to be safe, don’t leave any white spaces after it)

cgi.fix_pathinfo = 1

5. Pheww...almost there. Now we can install it.

Now go to the URL in your web browser to where you installed your Magento. So if you installed it in root, then go to http://your-site.com.
If you installed it in a subdirectory like /store, then go to http://your-site.com/store

6. Now you should be in the install area. Agree to the terms and then click Next. You should be on a page which asks you about your Database. Remember your database name and username are the same.

For Database Host, you’ll probably see the word localhost filled in there. That won’t work. To find your database host, it kind of sucks but here’s how to find it.

Go back to your hosting control panel (open in a new window or tab if not already). Hover your mouse over the Databases tab and click MySQL from the drop down. Click on the database you’re using for Magento and log into your database using your username and password for it.

Once logged in, you’ll see up at the top your server info. The one you want is the big long name. It’ll be something like:
yourDataBaseName.db.2356783.hostedresource.com

Copy that and then go back to your Magento installation. Paste that into the area where localhost was.

Fill in the rest of your info and you should be good to go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good luck and if you need any other web hosting accounts or domain names, visit us at http://wpbloghost.com - especially if you’re looking to start a blog. That’s what we’re all about.

Magento Community
Magento Community

scrapphoria

Total Posts:  2

Hi John,

I read through and did everything you said to do, but when I was reading about the host name, I put exactly what you said in there, and filled all of the other info in, and got some weird error, then I tried to do it again, thinking maybe I just put it in wrong, and got this error:

Warning: Unterminated comment starting line 45 in /home/content/m/a/m/____/html/shop/magento/lib/Varien/Http/Adapter/Curl.php on line 45

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end, expecting T_FUNCTION in /home/content/m/a/m/_____/html/shop/magento/lib/Varien/Http/Adapter/Curl.php on line 45

I put those underscores in the middle to hide some username info, but what in the world does this mean?????? What could I have done wrong? I am such a novice, but appreciate any help you could give me.....

Magento Community
Magento Community

John34

Total Posts:  33

Unfortunately, I’m an experienced WordPress user and not an experienced Magento user, sorry. I just posted what I did to get my wife’s site installed (now I’m on to figuring out how in the heck you configure this thing).

Make sure you got the .htaccess file right as well as the php5.ini. My install went smoothly the way I showed up above (installed it twice using the same method).

Good luck and sorry I couldn’t be much more help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mhunkler
Guru

Total Posts:  304

I have followed this guide exactly, and i keep getting this error during installation.

Error in file: “/home/content/m/h/u/mhunkler/html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/sql/catalog_setup/mysql4-install-0.7.0.php” - SQLSTATE[23000]: Integrity constraint violation: 1062 Duplicate entry ‘1’ for key 1
Trace:
#0 /home/content/m/h/u/mhunkler/html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(292): Mage::exception(’Mage_Core’, ‘Error in file: ...’)
#1 /home/content/m/h/u/mhunkler/html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(167): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_modifyResourceDb(’install’, ‘’, ‘0.7.69’)
#2 /home/content/m/h/u/mhunkler/html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(155): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_installResourceDb(’0.7.69’)
#3 /home/content/m/h/u/mhunkler/html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(121): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->applyUpdates()
#4 /home/content/m/h/u/mhunkler/html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config.php(263): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup::applyAllUpdates()
#5 /home/content/m/h/u/mhunkler/html/magento/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(263): Mage_Core_Model_Config->init(Array)
#6 /home/content/m/h/u/mhunkler/html/magento/app/Mage.php(434): Mage_Core_Model_App->init(’’, ‘store’, Array)
#7 /home/content/m/h/u/mhunkler/html/magento/app/Mage.php(455): Mage::app(’’, ‘store’, Array)
#8 /home/content/m/h/u/mhunkler/html/magento/index.php(65): Mage::run()
#9 {main}

Magento Community
Magento Community

slegendre

Total Posts:  3

I’m getting the same type database issue as mhunkler. I had issues since the get go with the Godaddy installation. This thread, mixed in with a few other suggestions helped me finally get to the install screen. I walked through the install and after I put in my database information the following error displayed. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Magento Commerce
There has been an error processing your request

Error in file"/home/content/s/t/i/stickheadfl/html/store/app/code/core/Mage/Sales/sql/sales_setup/mysql4-upgrade-0.9.7-0.9.8.php" SQLSTATE[42S21]Column already exists1060 Duplicate column name 'base_amount'
Trace:
#0 /home/content/s/t/i/stickheadfl/html/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(292): Mage::exception('Mage_Core', 'Error in file: ...')
#1 /home/content/s/t/i/stickheadfl/html/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(179): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_modifyResourceDb('upgrade', '0.9.6', '0.9.38')
#2 /home/content/s/t/i/stickheadfl/html/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(146): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_upgradeResourceDb('0.9.6', '0.9.38')
#3 /home/content/s/t/i/stickheadfl/html/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(121): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->applyUpdates()
#4 /home/content/s/t/i/stickheadfl/html/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config.php(263): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup::applyAllUpdates()
#5 /home/content/s/t/i/stickheadfl/html/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(263): Mage_Core_Model_Config->init(Array)
#6 /home/content/s/t/i/stickheadfl/html/store/app/Mage.php(434): Mage_Core_Model_App->init('', 'store', Array)
#7 /home/content/s/t/i/stickheadfl/html/store/app/Mage.php(455): Mage::app('', 'store', Array)
#8 /home/content/s/t/i/stickheadfl/html/store/index.php(65): Mage::run()
#9 {main}                

Magento is a trademark of Irubin Consulting IncDBA VarienCopyright Â© 2008 Irubin Consulting Inc.

Magento Community
Magento Community

slegendre

Total Posts:  3

Okay, well i hit my backspace, and reentered the database information. I made a single change. I choose database opposed to filesystem then hit continue. All went okay and the install just completed.

Hope that helps

Magento Community
Magento Community

marcelarr

Total Posts:  9
Guatemala

slegendre - 15 June 2009 10:31 AM

Okay, well i hit my backspace, and reentered the database information. I made a single change. I choose database opposed to filesystem then hit continue. All went okay and the install just completed.

Hope that helps

Thanks a mil slegendre, i was about to go crazy.

Magento Community
Magento Community

liquiddiet

Total Posts:  2

I followed all the steps above with 1.3.2.3 build, and selected store sessions in database and i still get this

Error in file"/home/content/r/y/a/ryanbrichards/html/store/app/code/core/Mage/Catalog/sql/catalog_setup/mysql4-upgrade-0.7.33-0.7.34.php" SQLSTATE[42000]Syntax error or access violation1061 Duplicate key name 'UNQ_CATEGORY_PRODUCT'
Trace:
#0 /home/content/r/y/a/ryanbrichards/html/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(292): Mage::exception('Mage_Core', 'Error in file: ...')
#1 /home/content/r/y/a/ryanbrichards/html/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(179): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_modifyResourceDb('upgrade', '0.7.25', '0.7.69')
#2 /home/content/r/y/a/ryanbrichards/html/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(146): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->_upgradeResourceDb('0.7.25', '0.7.69')
#3 /home/content/r/y/a/ryanbrichards/html/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Resource/Setup.php(121): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup->applyUpdates()
#4 /home/content/r/y/a/ryanbrichards/html/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Config.php(263): Mage_Core_Model_Resource_Setup::applyAllUpdates()
#5 /home/content/r/y/a/ryanbrichards/html/store/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/App.php(263): Mage_Core_Model_Config->init(Array)
#6 /home/content/r/y/a/ryanbrichards/html/store/app/Mage.php(434): Mage_Core_Model_App->init('', 'store', Array)
#7 /home/content/r/y/a/ryanbrichards/html/store/app/Mage.php(455): Mage::app('', 'store', Array)
#8 /home/content/r/y/a/ryanbrichards/html/store/index.php(65): Mage::run()
#9 {main}

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark W

John34 - 01 June 2009 08:03 AM

....make sure you’re using Linux hosting (much easier)

1. Download Magento: Download the latest full install of Magento and unzip on your hard drive. This should give you a folder named /Magento. ........

........Good luck and if you need any other web hosting accounts or domain names, visit us at http://wpbloghost.com - especially if you’re looking to start a blog. That’s what we’re all about.

This is seriously good advice and worked a charm. John thanks a million.

Note: I adjusted the files AFTER the install went perfect. I came to the front end to check out if all was ok and it loaded fine, however no links worked. (page not found) After the adjustments as indicated, all worked fine.

Mark (AccXess)

Magento Community
Magento Community

inhouseadv

Has anyone had any success with Magento on Godaddy. I have it installed and a shared plan and runs quite slow. I had to upgrade to a premium plan and I really don’t want to have to move. Does anyone have any recommendations - should I be looking at a Godaddy VPS?
If anyone has a magento site running on Godaddy, please submit link so I can see yr speed. Thks in advance

Magento Community
Magento Community

diane09

Too many instructions. I wish i could be simpler.

Regards,
Diane
Pret travaux

Magento Community
Magento Community

dabigo

Total Posts:  7

All went well, but it was terribly overloaded, especially the admin. Moved to nexcess.net

Magento Community
Magento Community

John Swaringen

Total Posts:  13
Fort Worth, Texas

I got it installed by following John’s instructions (Great name by the way...)

1. Download Magento: Download the latest full install of Magento and unzip on your hard drive. This should give you a folder named /Magento. The files contained inside this directory are the ones you will want to upload to your root (or subdirectory if you prefer).

But something is wrong with the .htaccess file. See mine below. Ocassionally I try to do anything in the admin screens such as click on a URL I get one like this:

http://www.grandspa.com/index.php/admin/system_config/index/key/19b0a7fef4e41638bf0b50c7070eea18/

Which will give me an error.  However, if I change it to read:

http://www.grandspa.com/admin/system_config/index/key/19b0a7fef4e41638bf0b50c7070eea18/

And run it, I’ll get to where I want to be.  Any suggestions?

.htaccess

## uncomment these lines for CGI mode
## make sure to specify the correct cgi php binary file name
## it might be /cgi-bin/php-cgi

#    Action php5-cgi /cgi-bin/php5-cgi
#    AddHandler php5-cgi .php

## GoDaddy specific options

Options -MultiViews

## you might also need to add this line to php.ini
##     cgi.fix_pathinfo = 1
## if it still doesn't work, rename php.ini to php5.ini

## this line is specific for 1and1 hosting

#AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
    #AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php

## default index file

DirectoryIndex index.php

<IfModule mod_php5.c>

## adjust memory limit

#    php_value memory_limit 64M

php_value memory_limit 128M
    php_value max_execution_time 18000

## disable magic quotes for php request vars

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off

## disable automatic session start
## before autoload was initialized

php_flag session.auto_start off

## enable resulting html compression

#php_flag zlib.output_compression on

###########################################
# disable user agent verification to not break multiple image upload

php_flag suhosin.session.cryptua off

# turn off compatibility with PHP4 when dealing with objects

php_flag zend.ze1_compatibility_mode Off

</IfModule>

<
IfModule mod_security.c>
# disable POST processing to not break multiple image upload

SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

<
IfModule mod_deflate.c>

## enable apache served files compression
## http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html#gzip

# Insert filter on all content
    ###SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
    # Insert filter on selected content types only
    #AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml text/css text/javascript

# Netscape 4.x has some problems...
    #BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html

# Netscape 4.06-4.08 have some more problems
    #BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip

# MSIE masquerades as Netscape, but it is fine
    #BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

# Don't compress images
    #SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png)$ no-gzip dont-vary

# Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
    #Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

</IfModule>

<
IfModule mod_ssl.c>

## make HTTPS env vars available for CGI mode

SSLOptions StdEnvVars

</IfModule>

<
IfModule mod_rewrite.c>

## enable rewrites

Options +FollowSymLinks
    RewriteEngine on

## you can put here your magento root folder
## path relative to web root

RewriteBase /

## workaround for HTTP authorization
## in CGI environment

RewriteRule .* - [E=HTTP_AUTHORIZATION:%{HTTP:Authorization}]

## always send 404 on missing files in these folders

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/(media|skin|js)/

## never rewrite for existing files, directories and links

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond 
%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond 
%{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-l

## rewrite everything else to index.php

RewriteRule .* index.php [L]

</IfModule>

## Prevent character encoding issues from server overrides
## If you still have problems, use the second line instead

AddDefaultCharset Off

#AddDefaultCharset UTF-8

<IfModule mod_expires.c>

## Add default Expires header
## http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html#expires

ExpiresDefault "access plus 1 year"

</IfModule>

## By default allow all access

Order allow,deny
    Allow from all

## If running in cluster environment, uncomment this
## http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html#etags

#FileETag none

Magento Community
Magento Community

John Swaringen

Total Posts:  13
Fort Worth, Texas

I got it installed by following John’s instructions (Great name by the way...)

But something is wrong with the .htaccess file. See mine below. Ocassionally I try to do anything in the admin screens such as click on a URL I get one like this:

http://www.grandspa.com/index.php/admin/system_config/index/key/19b0a7fef4e41638bf0b50c7070eea18/

Which will give me an error.  However, if I change it to read:

http://www.grandspa.com/admin/system_config/index/key/19b0a7fef4e41638bf0b50c7070eea18/

And run it, I’ll get to where I want to be.  Any suggestions?

.htaccess

## uncomment these lines for CGI mode
## make sure to specify the correct cgi php binary file name
## it might be /cgi-bin/php-cgi

#    Action php5-cgi /cgi-bin/php5-cgi
#    AddHandler php5-cgi .php

## GoDaddy specific options

Options -MultiViews

## you might also need to add this line to php.ini
##     cgi.fix_pathinfo = 1
## if it still doesn't work, rename php.ini to php5.ini

## this line is specific for 1and1 hosting

#AddType x-mapp-php5 .php
    #AddHandler x-mapp-php5 .php

## default index file

DirectoryIndex index.php

<IfModule mod_php5.c>

## adjust memory limit

#    php_value memory_limit 64M

php_value memory_limit 128M
    php_value max_execution_time 18000

## disable magic quotes for php request vars

php_flag magic_quotes_gpc off

## disable automatic session start
## before autoload was initialized

php_flag session.auto_start off

## enable resulting html compression

#php_flag zlib.output_compression on

# disable user agent verification to not break multiple image upload

php_flag suhosin.session.cryptua off

# turn off compatibility with PHP4 when dealing with objects

php_flag zend.ze1_compatibility_mode Off

</IfModule>

<
IfModule mod_security.c>
# disable POST processing to not break multiple image upload

SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
</IfModule>

<
IfModule mod_deflate.c>

## enable apache served files compression
## http://developer.yahoo.com/performance/rules.html#gzip

# Insert filter on all content
    ###SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
    # Insert filter on selected content types only
    #AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/html text/plain text/xml text/css text/javascript

# Netscape 4.x has some problems...
    #BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html

# Netscape 4.06-4.08 have some more problems
    #BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4\.0[678] no-gzip

# MSIE masquerades as Netscape, but it is fine
    #BrowserMatch \bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html

# Don't compress images
    #SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI \.(?:gif|jpe?g|png)$ no-gzip dont-vary

# Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
    #Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

</IfModule>

<