Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 2 of 5
Godaddy Installation instructions

SimpleHelixcom
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  906
Huntsville, AL

The bottleneck for speed is really in the speed of the disk I/O.

Any type of SATA/IDE drives (raided or not) will not show much boosts.

Get an SAS hard drive and you should be fine.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

marbletravis

Total Posts:  3

ok, fixed the bug with the page cannot be displayed, anytime I typed in the address it manually added an s to http, but I got it to work, here is the odd thing, install.php does not run, but index.php/install does, but when I click on accept the license agreement the continue button is still greyed out does any one know what this means, do I need the php5 file?

Travis

Magento Community
Magento Community

marbletravis

Well, I am starting to loose hope of ever being able to find an answer, its odd, I have searched and searched this fourm, and their are tons of threads that have questions with no answers, and whats wierdest is some have rather odd suggested solutions, that do not fix anything, its like they really want you to pay for support, but please anyone help, I am way lost!

Magento Community
Magento Community

K4doyle

Total Posts:  12

marbletravis. Even after I got magento working on GoDaddy, it was painful to try to do anything, much to slow.  I moved over to medialayer and I very happy there.  Great tech support.

Magento Community
Magento Community

truckerdeluxe

Total Posts:  10
Santa Monica, Ca.

These instructions worked perfectly. Thanks!!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

emmtqg

Total Posts:  1

K4doyle -

Thanks a million for taking the time to provide clear and consice instructions and saving what looks like a ton of people time, headaches and heartache!  It’s people like you who restore my faith in forums and user communities!  Needless to say, I’m up and running on goDaddy w/o a hitch.  Before I read this thread, I had unzipped the file locally and uploaded all the files, but then had problems because some files were not unpacked the same way on my goDaddy linux shared host (vs. my local windows).  Unpacking on goDaddy was key as well as the permissions as you pointed out - thank again! smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

sibajar

I do not see a “_sh” directory.  Are these instruction for a previous version?  I am still unsuccessful installling Magento.  A shame, I really want to give it a try, but I do not want to switch from Godaddy just yet.

Magento Community
Magento Community

thewoodslab

Total Posts:  5

This helped so much - needs to be in the Magento documentation…

I tried the automatic install method several times and kept failing - using GoDaddy hosting.  Tried this method and worked like a charm.  Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jolly

Total Posts:  16

I didn’t do anything fancy, but followed a few select instructions to get Magento running on GoDaddy Deluxe shared Linux hosting:

1.  Install Magento eCommerce application by downloading the latest Full Release Magento package (magento-1.1.3.zip), uploading the zip, and unarchiving it using the GoDaddy:FileManager:Unarchive function.  Should unpack into a magento/ directory.

2. Ensure that the directories app/etc , var , and media are writable by the web server. To do so, navigate to the directory with your FTP client and change to 777.

3. A common error, which usually comes up if you’re hosted by GoDaddy, is the no input file specified error.
There are a couple of things you can do to fix this, but we’ll start with the one that usually works. In your magento/ directory, there should be a file called php.ini. Rename this to php5.ini.  If that doesn’t work, add the following to the end of your newly renamed php5.ini file:
cgi.fix_pathinfo = 1

And if you’re still getting the error, add the following to the top of your .htaccess file:
Options -MultiViews

But, even though Magento is very cool application, is running very slowly - an 8 second page load, 6 with caching turned back on.  I may try their Premium at $14.99 a month, but if you are not vested in GoDaddy, some of the Magento hosting partners offer hosting plans for $20 a month are are very fast, so I would try them before GoDaddy.  GoDaddy is not cooperative with Magento and Magento does not appear in their help documents anywhere.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rajoon

You’re a life saver!!! Thank you.

Magento Community
Magento Community

nello13

I have started the installation of Magento but after the website details screen, hitting continue got me to a page with the below error:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘Exception’ with message ‘Warning: simplexml_load_file() [<a href=’function.simplexml-load-file’>function.simplexml-load-file</a>]: /home/content/a/l/e/alertmalta/html/app/etc/local.xml:1: parser error : Document is empty in /home/content/a/l/e/alertmalta/html/app/Mage.php on line 524’ in /home/content/a/l/e/alertmalta/html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/functions.php:246 Stack trace: #0 [internal function]: mageCoreErrorHandler(2, ‘simplexml_load_...’, ‘/home/content/a...’, 524, Array) #1 /home/content/a/l/e/alertmalta/html/app/Mage.php(524): simplexml_load_file(’/home/content/a...’) #2 /home/content/a/l/e/alertmalta/html/app/Mage.php(479): Mage::isInstalled() #3 /home/content/a/l/e/alertmalta/html/index.php(52): Mage::run() #4 {main} thrown in /home/content/a/l/e/alertmalta/html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/functions.php on line 246

Any page that I try to bring up I am getting the error.

Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

nello13

I have started the installation of Magento but after the website details screen, hitting continue got me to a page with the below error:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception ‘Exception’ with message ‘Warning: simplexml_load_file() [<a href=’function.simplexml-load-file’>function.simplexml-load-file</a>]: /home/content/a/l/e/alertmalta/html/app/etc/local.xml:1: parser error : Document is empty in /home/content/a/l/e/alertmalta/html/app/Mage.php on line 524’ in /home/content/a/l/e/alertmalta/html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/functions.php:246 Stack trace: #0 [internal function]: mageCoreErrorHandler(2, ‘simplexml_load_...’, ‘/home/content/a...’, 524, Array) #1 /home/content/a/l/e/alertmalta/html/app/Mage.php(524): simplexml_load_file(’/home/content/a...’) #2 /home/content/a/l/e/alertmalta/html/app/Mage.php(479): Mage::isInstalled() #3 /home/content/a/l/e/alertmalta/html/index.php(52): Mage::run() #4 {main} thrown in /home/content/a/l/e/alertmalta/html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/functions.php on line 246

Any page that I try to bring up I am getting the error.

Any ideas why this is happening? Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

seecott

Total Posts:  2

For all GoDaddy Windows Deluxe plan, this is what GoDaddy replied:

Thank you for contacting Online Support.

Magento
will work when using our Linux Deluxe or higher hosting accounts. To
switch the operating system of your hosting account, please use the
following instructions:

First, log into your account:

• Go to the Go Daddy Account Login Page
• Log in using your account username (which may be the same as your customer number) and password

If you have trouble logging in, our password reset form may help you. You can find this form through the following link:
Account Retrieval Page

Once logged in, follow these steps:

• Select ‘Hosting’ under the ‘My Products’ section.
• Click on the name of the hosting account whose operating system you want to change.
• In the ‘Account Details’ section on the right, click ‘Upgrade/Downgrade Hosting Account’.
• Select a new hosting plan (ASP = Windows; PHP or CGI = Linux).
• Click ‘Continue’.
•
If your new hosting plan is an upgrade from your existing plan, proceed
through the purchase process. Otherwise, click ‘Save Changes’.

This
change may take 24-72 hours to complete. You will receive an email
message when we complete your upgrade. NOTE: If your Web site contains
certain advanced features, such as ASP, ASP.NET, CGI, or PHP
applications and you select a hosting plan that does not support those
advanced features, your Web site may no longer function properly after
the plan change. Please make sure your Web site does not contain
advanced features BEFORE moving to a plan that may not support them or
be prepared to modify your Web content accordingly. If you created
databases that are incompatible with the new operating system, you must
delete them before proceeding. Data existing in compatible databases
will be preserved.

Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way.

Sincerely,

Matt P.
Online Support Representative

Magento Community
Magento Community

postmark

I have exactly the same problem as above

“anytime I type in the address it manually added an s to http,”
, “install.php does not run, but index.php/install does”,
“when I click on accept the license agreement the continue button is still greyed out does any one know what this means,?

HELP

thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

dabigo

Total Posts:  7

Installed on GoDaddy Economy package and all went well. So far, so good.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 5