Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Page 1 of 5
Godaddy Installation instructions

K4doyle

Total Posts:  12

I have been ready to jump off a cliff with all the problems i have been having with trying to install on a godaddy shared unix box.  I had maybe 10 different types of errors.  Look for a fix, fixed that error but caused another. then I spent hour more just to upload it all over again to start fresh.  Then I found the solution, and the installation is prefect and works great. These instructions are for Unix.

This installation will take about 15 minutes.

1.  You have to be on a Godaddy’s hosting config. 2.0, on either their deluxe or premium plan.
2.  Login to your hosting account and select the Hosting control center’s “content” tab. then select “add on languages”
3.  select PHP 5.x and then click continue.  It will say it’s updating or something to that effect. once updated then continue.
4.  select the Hosting control center’s database tab and then click on mysql.
5.  Create your database and select Mysql. v5, and then click on ok.
6.  Click on the Hosting control center’s Content tab. Click on FTP client. 
7.  Upload the Magento zip file to the root of you website.
8.  select Hosting control center’s content tab and then select file manager.
9.  check the magento zip file and then from the menu chick on Unarchive.
10. select destintation...leave at root default. click on ok. Be patient, it will take about 10 minutes to unzip.  It might look like it has hung up, and if it does. log out and then log back in and go back into file manager and you should see a new directory named something like “_sh” , with the magento sub directory below it. 
11. In the left file directory click on the “_sh” folder (or whatever folder the magento folder is under)
12. In the right pane, check the magento checkbox.  Then click on the “move” command in the command list above.
13. In the right directory pane, select the html folder. this will be the move to destination folder. click on ok
14. Magento in now in the root and you can change the permissions as listed in the magento installation instructions page.
15. go to your w w w.whatever. com/install.php and it works flawlessly.  To find your godaddy mySQL host name, go to databases, and under the action box on the right, click on the pencil.  It will give you your host name, something like P50mysql150.secureserver.net. each database has a different one. So, be sure to pick the one from the database you intend to use for magento.

That’s it. Hours and hours, and hours of frustration solved in 15 minutes.  And, you zip file is there in case you needed it.  Basically, you’re unpacking the zip file on the server, and then moving it to the correct location.

Please note that I also have a php5.ini file I fould at this thread http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/4520/ I dont know if its needed or not.  It helped fix one problem but not others.  If your installation doesnt work as listed above, try adding the php5.ini file. 

Sorry for the chopped up laugange, I’v been working on this for two days and I’m really tired.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

karel develop

Total Posts:  4

nice work:)

attempted a godaddy install last year with zero success,
but your guide gives me tremendous hope for the future.
gonna give it a try as soon as i can.

thanks K4doyle.

Magento Community
Magento Community

K4doyle

thanks.

also, I did find out that i needed the php5.ini file i referenced above.  Upload it to the root

the information in the file is;

register_globals = on
allow_url_fopen = on
cgi.fix_pathinfo = 1

Magento Community
Magento Community

karel develop

fantastic.
followed your instructions & the installation has worked like a dream!

smile

looking forward to testing this out in the hope i can finally ditch Virtuemart.

Many Thanks for making this so simple.

Magento Community
Magento Community

reddsimpson

Total Posts:  28
Richmond, VA

I’m glad to hear that my php5.ini file is helping. 8)

Magento Community
Magento Community

K4doyle

yes, it did help for godaddy.  I posted the link to the original thread.  But,since then I moved over to medialayer.net.  Godaddy was too slow.  Medialayer is a rocket ship, and I moved all my hosting over last night.  Installed 1.0 today and I’m very happy. In fact, things are working so good that I’d swear my car is even running better grin

Magento Community
Magento Community

hydro

Total Posts:  28

K4doyle - 28 March 2008 11:54 PM

1.  You have to be on a Godaddy’s hosting config. 2.0, on either their deluxe or premium plan.

Thanks for the instructions ... a quick question:

Any idea why only Deluxe or Premium and not Economy?

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sigel

Total Posts:  19
Denver

I use economy linux hosting.. works fine.

Magento Community
Magento Community

PnwGifts

Total Posts:  1

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! That worked perfect!

Again, thank you! :D

Magento Community
Magento Community

Jason A

Total Posts:  7

This method installed perfectly for me as well. The only problem I’m having is that my Top Navigation goes to a 404 everytime and if there is no trailing backslash for the directory. If I manually type in the address and a backslash at the end it works just fine all other navigation works fine. I don’t know if this is a GoDaddy problem or not. Does anybody know how to fix this?

404 Error
http://creative-deviance.com/magento/luxury-home-decor

Works
http://creative-deviance.com/magento/luxury-home-decor/

The development address is at
http://creative-deviance.com/magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

VosSavant

Total Posts:  21
Colorado

@K4doyle,

Thanks a million - this process worked perfectly. I would recommend this over uploading the unpacked files, since the latter method takes a helluva lot longer (8,000 + files vs. 1 archive file).

I got the “no input file specified” error, so I had to take these additional steps outlined in the Magento installation guide:

1. Look for a php.ini file in the root folder of your website and rename it php5.ini. If you don’t have a php.ini file (as I did not), create a blank one and add this line:

cgi.fix_pathinfo 1

If you have a php.ini file, add that same line to the very end of the file. In most cases this will do the trick, and it worked for me.

2. If this doesn’t work, you’ll need to add the following to the top of your .htaccess file:

Options -MultiViews

If the problems persist, the installation guide advises you to call for help or switch hosting providers.

Thanks again for the great help on this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

freedomoss

Hi,

Just downloaded the new version of Magento, which is 1.1.1.  It works fine and without any problem in 10 mins. The .htaccess file has a detailed guide for GoDaddy params.

Regards,

Magento Community
Magento Community

markf

Total Posts:  145

How is the performance on godaddy?  I would imagine that it would be terribly slow on such a cheap host.

Magento Community
Magento Community

freedomoss

I haven’t tested fully the Prod ver 1.1. On their website, Magento is claiming this”

“One of the main goals for Magento 1.1 was to examine bottlenecks in the platform and improve performance. In the production release of Magento 1.1 performance was improved by as much as 40% in the catalog and sales modules, and by optimizing when and how data loads, responsiveness of the Admin UI was also increased significantly.”

Let’s see if it will do the work!

Regards,

Magento Community
Magento Community

markf

Total Posts:  145

I’m pretty sure you will be very disappointed if you are going to try and use magento on godaddy.

I am using a very fast host that is specifically optimized for running php/mysql apps (lightspeed server, eaccelerator,etc) and its not even fast. And I am using 1.1.

It seems that in order to get optimal performance, you really need to spend a little more $$ and get a dedicated server.

I could be wrong though, let us know how the speed is once you are up and running. (Or share your site url.)

Magento Community
Magento Community

marbletravis

Total Posts:  3

Help!!!, I have godaddy as well and I fallowed all of the instructions above, and when I go to http://www.domain.com/install.php it says the page cannot be displayed? any ideas why it says this?

Thanks
Travis

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 5