Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Modern Furniture Website renovated. 

Dannyz1984

Total Posts:  153

hey guys, i started working for http://www.lafurniturestore.com and did a site overhaul.  it was using an unknown ecommerce shopping cart, i took that off, and started from scratch using magento.  this was my first time using magento, i basically picked it up as i went along with building the website.  i went from knowing nothing about zend, or magentos architecture, to fully implementing my own custom modules using xml, and phtml files.  id like to thank the forums for their support, although it was kind of lacking, i think that was a good thing because it forced me to learn more on my own than to rely on someone else.  I know have the confidence to show off this website for you guys to tell me what you think about it. 

the design, coding (although kind of amateurish) and development was all done by me.  it was basically a 1 man kind of job.  i got this site up and running in 2 months.  i used custom csv imports to get most of the products up, and bought some custom extensions.

any other questions feel free to ask me~!

http://www.lafurniturestore.com

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Dannyz1984

one thing i learned my lesson the hard way:  URL rewrites.

the old site had some pretty good SEO done to it, with backlinks, but the guy in charge of SEO knows very little about the subject himself, all he knew was how to pay people to put links of the site up on other sites.  so i had no experience with seo, just exp with design and coding.  i launched the site with no url rewrites, and google started indexing all the old urls as 404’s and we really dropped in rank.  that was tough.  we are hiring an seo expert to fix up all things that went wrong and hopefully not too much blame will be put on me for this mishap.  i now know, url rewrites are a must if you are renovating a site and plan on switching carts.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Mark.Stocker

Total Posts:  18

I’m just about to do the same thing myself, i have a new Magento site going live and I’m concerned about all the existing sites URL’s that will now go to unfound pages.

Would the most effective solution be to route any 404 errors to the new home page URL?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dannyz1984

no i wouldnt reccomend that, the rich content would disappear if you redirect everything to home page.  if you plan on launching it unfinished, i would strongly go against that.  build up the pages content if you can, then use magento’s URL rewrite to redirect permanently to new page.  last case scenario is to redirect all missing links to home page but you will almost certainly guarantee losing rank on google from doing this.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community