Magento Forum

Page 2 of 3
Configurable products and dependent attributes

Coltone

Total Posts:  1

It just disregards the price data from the simple products and provides an insufficient tool for setting up the price of the options.

Regards

Coltone
Surendettement

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

ryanp

Total Posts:  76
Germany

Try looking at Better Configurable Products http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/1997/bcp--better-configurable-products

Magento Community
Magento Community

chastain

Total Posts:  2

I have successfully created a configurable product, but the individual products use to create that configurable product are still visible on the front end. Does anyone know how to make only the configurable product visable?

Magento Community
Magento Community

gl3ny

Total Posts:  5

koko boko - 28 July 2009 02:15 PM

I. Sample one – Print, Photography, Art or Posters Shops
For the tens of thousands of shop owners in the above industries the lack of ability to correctly price the dependant attributes’ options is crucial and a major deal breaker when looking for an ecommerce solution – hence, the hundreds of complaints in the Magento’s and other discussion boards regarding the issue.

I’m not a magneto user, I’m just checking it out but the way you are talking you are implying that there are carts out there that do this already. If so please can you tell me which one?

So far I have looked at: Zen, OSCommerce, Xcart, Ubercart and Cubecart. I’d love to know if you found one that can do this. It seems that it must be very complicated to code or at least one of these carts would have done it already, surely. So far I have found Zen the best, not that it can do this but by being creative I can still just have the illusion of one product with all the price dependent options.

Magento Community
Magento Community

koko boko

Total Posts:  10

I’m not using Magento yet either… just because of the lack of true configurable products with dependent attributes/options.
From the affordable ones only X-cart and CS-cart are capable of supporting dependent attributes. However, both come with limited templates from the last millennium… commercial and the free ones - kind of like the zencart’s free ones.

Magento Community
Magento Community

koko boko

Another cart I stumbled upon recently and worth mentioning is Avactis. It retails for $200 and has functionality for option exceptions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

marketseq

Any update on if Magento does/will support variant pricing for a product?

Magento Community
Magento Community

aneguitar

Total Posts:  26
Greece

Also is there any update if Magento is going to make configurable products with dependent attributes/options so that they can be used to shopping cart rules properly?

Magento Community
Magento Community

koko boko

It’s been more than a year this topic was started. Although I’ve made a fair attempt to explain the issues regarding the configurable products and options pricing in real stores, we have not received a single response from any of the developers. If any of them read the tread would’ve figured out the real problem most of us are facing.
I’ve even stopped my tests of the demo that I was doing to find out if the problem’s been fixed. I guess I’m giving up on Magento. The official user guide I’ve purchased will better serve me as door stopper or toilet paper. 
No matter how sophisticated of a product this cart is if it doesn’t get the pricing right it’s of no value to the vast community of web developers and online store owners.
But, hey… it’s a free product… we can not blame the devs for something they don’t understand.

Good luck

Magento Community
Magento Community

Baumanator

Total Posts:  30

koko boko - 18 December 2010 11:46 AM

It’s been more than a year this topic was started. Although I’ve made a fair attempt to explain the issues regarding the configurable products and options pricing in real stores, we have not received a single response from any of the developers. If any of them read the tread would’ve figured out the real problem most of us are facing.
I’ve even stopped my tests of the demo that I was doing to find out if the problem’s been fixed. I guess I’m giving up on Magento. The official user guide I’ve purchased will better serve me as door stopper or toilet paper. 
No matter how sophisticated of a product this cart is if it doesn’t get the pricing right it’s of no value to the vast community of web developers and online store owners.
But, hey… it’s a free product… we can not blame the devs for something they don’t understand.

Good luck

We have been looking at using Magento for a new online store deployment. While I have used Magento on a variety of sites with no problems, this store needs attribute dependencies as you have described in this thread and I see the reason for your post.

I would agree It would seem that the Magento team doesn’t see the need for this after so much time with no responses. I’ll be testing some of the available extensions and report back if I find any solution as this is a problem for our new site.

-Paul

Magento Community
Magento Community

krodon

Total Posts:  3

Anything new here?

Magento Community
Magento Community

sandydadh

Total Posts:  16
Mumbai, India

Hello Guys,

I am also facing the similar problem while using the configurable product. Actually I want to create the dependent option values like if stone is diamond then its corresponding color combo should be displayed while if semi precious stone is selected then its corresponding semi precious stones should be displayed in the next combo.

This is similar to the Country-State dependent drop down list in which if we select India then its corresponding states will be displayed in the state combo.

So please specify me how I can create the dependent attributes in magento?

I would be thankful to all of you guys.....

regards,
Sandeep Maheshwary

Magento Community
Magento Community

kania

Total Posts:  15

Maybe my extension (based on JS) is interesting for you…

http://magentoextensions.blogspot.com/2011/10/rapidproductgenerator.html

“This extension for the magento e-commerce platform (community edition) accelerates the process of creating associated (simple) products for a configurable product.

Simply select the desired values for the product and (optionally) define the price. In the following the form for product creation of each possible combination is filled out.

This simplifies the tedious work of setting the combinations manually!”

Magento Community
Magento Community

gorav

Sailing in the same boat. Subscribing to see if any solutions are mentioned.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eAppWare

Total Posts:  23

We have been reading through the comments, it would appear you are looking for matrix pricing.  This would be a complex prcessing overhead to handle in the frontend at runtime and adversely affect performance.  We are happy to look at implementing martrix pricing in to Middleware Manager to generate the simple products however we would need some very clear examples.

On the frontend side we have spoken with a company who are willing to look at making a simplified user experience to choose the dependencies.  From discussions the initial thoughts are that the user would select all relevant options from the matrix (with some being left out where necessary), this would effectively select the simple product and the pricing would be available when all relevant options are selected.

Please bear in mind that we have come from Enterprise applications, SAP, Broadvision, etc.  where this functionality is normally available and their implementations run in to the millions.  Magento provides an huge amount of functionality only normally found in Enterprise solutions however it would likley compromise the other aspects of the software to implement very complex pricing algorithms at runtime.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 2 of 3