Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Show with tax everywhere

Goldfish

Total Posts:  13

We want our shop to only show prices prices including tax as that is the standard in Sweden (along with many other countries). No customers will accept seeing prices excluding tax in the cart or checkout.

It’s easy to get magento to show with tax on the listings/catalog and product pages however I can’t seem to get it to show with tax in the cart, checkout, admin backend and so on without changing alot of code which is very impractical.

Does this mean the easiest way for us to do it is to disable the tax option from the shop, put all prices including tax and then have some more book keeping to do every month due to this? Does anyone have a better idea or am I missing a vital option?

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YoavKutner
Guru

Total Posts:  491

Goldfish - For the 1.0 release we are working on the ability to display prices including tax in the catalog pages, but once the products are added to cart we show the prices without tax.

We are going to make an effort to support your request for 1.0 but cannot guarantee this at the moment.

Disabling the tax rules (or not entering any) with the prices including tax is an option and it should be pretty easy to create an admin module that extracts the tax.

Thanks

yoav

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fontis

Total Posts:  99
Melbourne, Australia

Australian shops will need something similar to this as well: prices shown in the shop and on checkout should have GST included and on checkout the amount of tax included will be listed along with the total cost. Such as:

TOTAL $11.00
TOTAL includes GST $1.00

From what Yoav said above the easiest way is to disable tax altogether and create a module to extract tax but this feels a little too much like a hack to me, rather than a proper solution. Surely the better way would be to create a module that prints the total amount including the tax? Or is this going to be far more difficult to achieve?

Hopefully something like this could be included into the core in a future release as it looks like a few countries have tax set ups like this.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

the problem is that as an australian business - I do not need to charge gst to people that don’t live in australia - so showing an extra 10% in the price is not the best scenario if some of your customers are not in Australia - I think the simplest solution is to append “excl. GST” to the price - simple, no hacks. Appropriate tax will be applied when user checks out.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community