Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Placing Flash Files for a static page

eseel

Total Posts:  26

I am having trouble finding where to correctly place my files for a Flash project.  My site is http://www.uhmastyle.com/magento.  I have created custom navigation links on my top nav bar.  Currently I have Mens, Womens, LookBook, Lifestyle, and The Brand.  I have created a Flash piece that I want to show for the Lifestyle link.  I have all the Flash files inside a folder titled Lifestyle. Where do I place these files on the server and what files do I need to update in order for the Flash piece to link correctly?  I currently have a static page titled lifestyle that I created in CMS>Manage Pages.  I created a new page, titled it lifestyle, and linked it to the top lifestyle menu link.  This is all functioning correctly but now what do I do to insert the Flash piece?  Thanks in advance for the help.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

You need to embed the flash movies into the HTML portions of you documents.

For example your header.phtml file, or in your CMS section.

Flash has an export tool that you can copy and paste the code into you document (Just make sure your paths are the same)

Magento Community
Magento Community

ikuzyk
Magento Team

Total Posts:  60
Ternopil, Ukraine

You can place your files into skin folder. Create a folder named “flash” or whatever you want in skin folder.
For example, path will be:

skin/frontend/default/default/flash/
now, in templates you can use this to get url:
<?php echo $this->getSkinUrl('flash/your_flash_file.swf'?>
or in CMS block:
{{skin url='flash/your_flash_file.swf'}}
Thats all. Hope its help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eseel

I want to try to do this through the CMS block.  My flash piece has three separate xml files associated with it and I have already set the paths to the skin folder.  Do I need to add additional code within the CMS block to include the xml files?

Magento Community
Magento Community

ikuzyk
Magento Team

Ternopil, Ukraine

Im not sure i understand the question than…
For XML updates in CMS there is a “Custom Design > Layout Update XML” tab.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Minneapolis MN

What are the XML files doing for the flash? You should be able to create a directory called XMLFiles in your skin folder and place those files in it. (I am assuming that the XML runs something for flash)

The other option is to put a folder in your root called /comapny/xmldata/

Magento Community
Magento Community

eseel

The xml files are used for updating the flash piece.  I have a current site for my company and it has a flash piece (http://www.uhmastyle.com/live/lifestyle/).  Each category (Gallery, Music Scene, and Video) has an xml file that lets me update the flash piece with new music, new images, or video.  I am creating a new store site with Magento and I want to bring this Flash piece into the new Magento site.  I changed the paths in each of the XML files and brought the whole folder into skins>frontend>blank>theme049 (I am using a Magento theme for my site).  I am now having difficulty linking the flash piece correctly.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ikuzyk
Magento Team

Ternopil, Ukraine

Do you have some config files for this?
Or try to use relative path - like “/skin/frontend/blank/theme049/flash/file.xml”
Hope this help…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Minneapolis MN

Try putting your XML file in a directory in the root in a directory called /yourcompany/xmldata/

Then point your Flash movie at that. I did this for a Rotating Ad banner module I wrote.

Magento Community
Magento Community

eseel

Still no luck.  The Flash piece on the home(index) page of my Magento site (that came as part of the theme) plays fine (http://www.uhmastyle.com/magento).  I tried to use the code from this to get my Flash piece on the Lifestyle page to work.  Does anybody notice any errors in any of this code I used (assuming all the paths are correct).

Under CMS> Manage pages I created a page titled lifestyle. Within the content window I have:

<div class="clear-block"></div>

Within the Custom Design - Layout Update XML I have:

<reference name="header">
<block type="page/html" name="lifestyle" template="customer/lifestyle.phtml"/>
</reference>

My lifestyle.phtml file:

<div class="lifestyle">
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"
codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,24"
width="645" height="550">
<param name="movie" value="<?php echo $this->getSkinUrl('lifestyle/lifestyle.swf') ?>?xmlUrl=<?php echo $this->getSkinUrl('lifestyle/image.xml') ?>&imagesFolder;=<?php echo $this->getSkinUrl('lifestyle/images') ?>” />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="menu" value="false" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<!--[if !IE]> <-->
<object data="<?php echo $this->getSkinUrl('lifestyle/lifestyle.swf') ?>?xmlUrl=<?php echo $this->getSkinUrl('lifestyle/image.xml') ?>&imagesFolder;=<?php echo $this->getSkinUrl('lifestyle/images') ?>”
width="645" height="550" type="application/x-shockwave-flash">
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="menu" value="false" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<param name="pluginurl" value="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
FAIL (the browser should render some flash content, not this).
</object>
<!--> <![endif]-->
</object>
</div>

Can anyone find anything I did wrong?  I can’t seem to get the lifestyle.swf to play at all.  I was hoping I could at least get it to play, even if it did not display all the images from the xml files at least I would know that I just need to address some of the paths.  Right now, I get nothing.

Magento Community
Magento Community

kirils

Total Posts:  15
Strumica

Igor Kuzyk - 28 July 2009 07:02 AM

You can place your files into skin folder. Create a folder named “flash” or whatever you want in skin folder.
For example, path will be:

skin/frontend/default/default/flash/
now, in templates you can use this to get url:
<?php echo $this->getSkinUrl('flash/your_flash_file.swf'?>
or in CMS block:
{{skin url='flash/your_flash_file.swf'}}
Thats all. Hope its help.

This did it for me.

Thanks.

Magento Community
Magento Community

ashley.seagrape

Total Posts:  3

Hey Everyone,

I was able to get my flash header to show up just fine using the above instructions. Thanks for that!

The issue I am facing now is, the links in my flash header that target="_blank" work just fine, but my other links that are to open in the same window do not work. I know _self is the default so I tried it with and without the target="_self" code and I tried it with _top as well ... still does not work.  Any ideas of what could be going on? Do I need to set permissions somewhere or something?

Thanks, thanks, thanks in advance!
best,
Ashley

Magento Community
Magento Community

ashley.seagrape

Total Posts:  3

WOW! Its always the little things.
Oops, my mistake. I figured out what I did wrong. It was still pulling the swf file from an outside source as the new template file did not upload properly.
Thanks anyhoo.
smile
-A

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community