Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Shipping Insurance

jcollier

Total Posts:  2

Is there an option for the customer to be able to add insurance to the purchased item’s shipping?  If not, is there a creative way that maybe an up-sell item named insurance can be created that is based off of a percentage of the total order amount?  Any suggestions are appreciated. Thx.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Fontis

Total Posts:  99
Melbourne, Australia

I’d like to have something like this too. I believe the best way to do it would be to actually modify the actual shipping modules to include the insurance as an option as it will usually be based on the actual cost of the shipping or shipped items. This will, however, require every shipping method you want to be modified/extended, which isn’t ideal if you intend on having several shipping methods available, all with the same insurance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

fwhong

Total Posts:  32

This would be something we’d LOVE to have. Is this something that you can build into the Fontis Australian Extension Chris?

If not, what sort of coding is required to build this in ourselves?

Magento Community
Magento Community

harry12bar

Total Posts:  168

Hi, if your not in the uk you could modify this extension (Maybe?)
http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/480/royalmail-shipping-options

Magento Community
Magento Community

Fontis

Total Posts:  99
Melbourne, Australia

I can add this to the Australia Post module but it won’t affect any of the other shipping methods.

What kind of options would be needed for insurance? Flat rate, tiers, etc?

Magento Community
Magento Community

fwhong

Total Posts:  32

We’d prefer insurance to be based on a % of the total item cost.

i.e.

8% of $100 = $8 insurance.
etc..

Obviously, if the % could be something that can be changed that would be helpful smile

Also, if this is something that can be ‘opted-in’ by default, which the buyer can untick, that’ll be helpful as well.

Is this possible?

Magento Community
Magento Community

caricell

Total Posts:  17

Has anyone come up with way yet to add an Insurance option to the cart, where buyers can click “add insurance optional: $2.00” or $3.00 or $4...etc?

This is sorely needed!

Larry

Magento Community
Magento Community

haligonia

Total Posts:  97

No kidding.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Cheung

Total Posts:  30
Seattle, WA

This extension is supposed to do it. I haven’t tried it yet but this person has some great shipping extensions so I am recommending.

http://www.magentocommerce.com/extension/1601/auctionmaid-shipping-insurance-extension

Magento Community
Magento Community

mericson

Total Posts:  13

jcollier - 28 March 2008 09:54 AM

Is there an option for the customer to be able to add insurance to the purchased item’s shipping?  If not, is there a creative way that maybe an up-sell item named insurance can be created that is based off of a percentage of the total order amount?  Any suggestions are appreciated. Thx.

Over 5 1/2 years and still no real solution for shipping feature, seriously!?

The ideal solution would be based on product-value and real-time carrier insurance quotes.  Costs are different by carrier, so ideally they would come from the carrier.

Magento Community
Magento Community

chiefair
Mentor

Total Posts:  1848

The official Magento response to adding insurance surcharges, et.al. is “we can’t figure out the taxation on the surcharges businesses add to sales and therefore we will not be supporting it.”

If you want to do shipping insurance, Webshopapps (no afiliation, just use their products which Just Work™) has a module to do that.

WebshopApps Shipping Insurance

real-time carrier insurance quotes

Let me know when UPS adds insurance to their shipping rate calculator.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community