Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Changing Domain Names - Advice please

fuzzbuzz

Total Posts:  67

Hi,

I have a magento powered store, currently on a domain www.currentshop.com

I now want to change the company name and domain name to www.newshop.com

Is possible to make my same store run on a new domain or must i do a fresh install.

Its worth noting my current store is in v 1.1.6 - I have not upgraded to the new version for fear of lots of problems.
So a fresh install might be a good thing.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Zee

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

billh

Total Posts:  34

Hi FuzzBuzz,

I’ve done this in a test environment (out of curiosity) and went down the route of a ‘direct’ copy of all my files and folders from one server to another.

Obviously start with a db backup, then do a find and replace to change any references from the old site name to the new. You also need to set the new path in

/app/etc/local.xml

I found this guide and followed it (i read all of the comments first just to see what issues people were encountering)

http://activecodeline.com/moving-magento-site-from-development-to-live-server/#comment-205

Hope it helps

Magento Community
Magento Community

movi

Total Posts:  17

Hello
I have similar problem.
I change only domain name and my page is not working.
Where add new information about new domain name?
Did not change the database name or server, only server domain name.

Please replies.

Regards

Magento Community
Magento Community

View 6 Com

Total Posts:  83
Brighton Sussex UK

Hi

if you point a new domain name at an installation there are a few things to keep an eye on

1) as said: /app/etc/local.xml - this control the database / site admin path - but this might not need editing

2) base URL - admin | system | config - this will need changing, but you might be locked out of the admin now, as the domain name has been updated so.... via your hosting control panel, use phpmyadmin to update the core_data_ config values for baser url secure and unsecure but make sure you end it with a “/”

3) cache - delete the folder from within the var/cache folder to ensure that the browser loads new content / URLs

hope this helps…

Magento Community
Magento Community

movi

Total Posts:  17

Thank You for help.

I did everything you’re saying, and started work at 24 hours.
I could not change the addressin admin - system - config so I change in core_data_config.

Thank You

Magento Community
Magento Community

Stefan Horton

Total Posts:  1

When I go to my domain it doesn’t direct to the magento folder it go to the tree of folders in my public_html folder. Please help me figure this out.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community