Magento Forum

Front end broken - updated from 1.3.1.1 to 1.3.2.3 <closed>

trogfish

Total Posts:  42

So, I originally tried Connect to update from 1.3.1.1 to 1.3.2.3; Connect got hung somewhere.  I wound up re-installing full 1.3.2.3 from .tar; and fixing permisions afterward.  I thought it was all covered.... and good.  Until I updated myversion of the ‘blank’ default theme.  My frontend works OK, when I use my 1.3.1.1 frontend theme; but no frontend pages will load when I use the ‘new’ updated 1.3.2.2 blank theme files.

My error starts as:

Warning: simplexml_load_string() [function.simplexml-load-string]: Entity: line 54: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: alt line 54 and action in /home/smilingc/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout/Update.php on line 294
Trace:
#0 [internal function]: mageCoreErrorHandler(2, ‘simplexml_load_...’, ‘/home/smilingc/...’, 294, Array)

Goto my site to see the full Trace:  www.smilingcharleys.com (firefox gives better info?!?)

I believe my problems may relate to this thread:  http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/49749/
But, frankly I don’t understand what’s going on here to fix my pages.  My XML does not show <root> mine says <content> Or am I looking in the wrong place>

<!--<reference name="content">
<block type="catalog/product_new" name="home.catalog.product.new" alias="product_new" template="catalog/product/new.phtml" after="cms_page"><action method="addPriceBlockType"><type>bundle</type><block>bundle/catalog_product_price</block><template>bundle/catalog/product/price.phtml</template></action></block>

The main differences I see in the theme/versions has something to do with detection and page generation of one column/ three column etc.  But I don’t understand it enough to know what to fix.  Any guidance and insights would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance..

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

seudo
Guru

Total Posts:  344

It is a layout update issue for sure.

Do you have custom layout code for your “home” cms page?

If so try removing it but back it up somewhere else and see if your site loads.

Magento Community
Magento Community

seudo
Guru

Total Posts:  344

Also, I would double check your layout files you modified in the blank theme to make sure the tags are properly closed.

And if the xml code above is in your home / welcome page you don’t have to have a “root”, “content” is fine. Content just refers to the main information shown like product lists, cms info, category info etc.

Speaking of the xml code above. Is that how it is exactly? If so the comment is not closed. Try adding --> after the last </block>.

Magento Community
Magento Community

trogfish

Total Posts:  42

So, I got my site working again.  The bad part is, I am not sure how or why.....  I had never found any missing tags or such things as coding errors, although that is what the errors seemed to be about at first blush. 

What I DID find, however, was that parts of my install had Windows EOL; others hat Linux EOL; All the files were readable, but I think I basically had some corrupted files in my freshly mod’ed theme.....  Could not tell when/where this may have occurred, or what files in particular.

The fix was to completely re-run my diff’s to the theme mods from scratch and start all over.... blech.

Thanks to all for your input.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community