Magento Forum

Create image block so it links to category - pls help! 

engineIT

Total Posts:  12

Hello there, Scott from Sydney here. I have been destroying myself reading through the magento forums trying to create a block image that simply links to a category. I saw a link to this site www.therapydogvest.com , which I bookmarked thank goodness, as I’ve lost page it was on in the forums.

All I want to be able to do is create an image that links to my categories.
I can create an image and add it to a block and even link it to an outside source e.g. google.com, I just can’t seem to find where the hell to change that link to my added categories.

I know it doesn’t sound like much but this has really stumped me big time.

at www.therapydogvest.com there is three pictures down the bottom that link to different pages. This is what I’m trying to create. To re create those links so they go to my categories inside my shop..

I appologise for my nubbness. I’ve searched these forums but find only more advanced threads that I am getting lost in.

Scott

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Asia Connect Supportâ„¢

Total Posts:  32

I can help you. Where do you want to create image block?

Magento Community
Magento Community

engineIT

Thanks, ok say I want to create an image. like the one at the site:  http://www.therapydogvest.com/store/index.php/ There is an image called “working gear” down the bottom in the center so that when you click on it, it redirects the visitor to another page in the site. This one links to a category that was made called “therapy-dog”.

Another example is at this site:  the first image has a link which brings the visitor to the Necklaces category page at http://www.amorebridaldesigns.com/shopping/index.php/jewelry/necklaces

my test website at the moment is at: http://www.supercheapsoftware.com.au/magento/ I’ve used the sample data.  If I 1. click on the “electronics” menu in the picture attached I get the following result in the pic attached. If I click on 2. 3. and 4. (4. looks a bit harder with all the coords etc happy to leave that one out for now) these all send the visitor to the approapiate categories within the site.

questions..

What is the exact process for replicating one of the examples above?
On my site I created a category called “software”. I would love to be able to know how to create an image, that say, goes on the home page and when a visitor clicks on it, it goes to the software category page. if clicked, http://www.supercheapsoftware.com.au/magento/index.php/software.html

some other problems I would love to find out..

Where is the best place to save the images for my static blocks?
Where do I save the .html file I create for the images for the static blocks?

I’m sure there are better programs out there to view code but I’m using dreamweaver to pull up the source code and editing it to copy and paste. And I’m using a ftp program called core ftp. I have access to the server database through my ISP’s control panel.

Image Attachments
im_a_nub_pls_help.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

engineIT

bloody hell I’m a goose. I have figured it out.

I was trying to find the link in my folders when I should of let magento do it though CMS.

After I made the image with link I also edited the dreamweaver code into magento {{ }} code to be sure.

wow something so easy took me nearly 2 days to do, gonna go jump in a lake

scott

Magento Community
Magento Community

melindabooy

Total Posts:  5

engineIT
I am also trying to link to categories and have got totally lost in the forum information. Would you be good enough to spell it out step by step for me? I am fine with HTML/CSS but when it comes to PHP or the Magento file structure I’m lost.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Razmatazed

Total Posts:  27
Sun Prairie Wisconsin

I would like to know this solution as well. Looking to place images in a static block and link to specific categories…

Magento Community
Magento Community

Kayz

Total Posts:  6

Me 3

Magento Community
Magento Community

Sentis

Total Posts:  16

Hi engineIT,

You figured it out how to attach a link to an image. Could you please share it with us so we don’t spent also two day looking for the solution.

Don’t want to reinvent the wheel, just using it wink

Thanks,

Wout.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community