Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Use Plus ( - ) signs in the url key instead of hyphens ( - ) for spaces? 

FishPig

Total Posts:  232

I’m converting my old website to Magento and think it is important to recreate the URL’s exactly for various reason. My old site has a URL structure like:

http://domain.com/category/sub+category/product+name.html

But Mangeto has URL’s like:

http://domain.com/category/sub-category/product-name.html

I imagined there would be an option in Magento to do this but I can’t seem to find one! I don’t want to edit the format URL Key function as I don’t feel this is a proper method.

Any help or advice will be appreciated.

Thanks smile

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

bloggleme

Total Posts:  101

I would highly suggest not going that route - for SEO reasons.

If you are worried about your page strength not passing over to the new urls (because the keys changed), I would suggest creating a temporary htaccess file and do a bunch of redirects for each product (old url -> new url). Once Google picks up on the fowarding, you can remove it and you will be good to go.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rohansh89

Total Posts:  16

Dear,

I need the same solutions. I am looking SEO URL writing solutions where for few section magento work on default url for layered navigation it should take plus sign and .html format. may be htaccess is write solutions but it is not working fine.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rohansh89

Total Posts:  16

Monty Thanks for the help. But I need plus(+) sign to used only on layered navigation in rest I am ok with directory kind of URL

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community