Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Can an order capture a referrer URL? 

itchytrig

Total Posts:  162
UK

On our old ecommerce system, on every order, we can see the url the customer left when they were transferred to our site.

Perhaps a Google search, page link etc… All very valuable when trying to understand where a customer comes from when visiting your store.

Is this possible with Magento, surely a simple meta referrer url, but not sure how or where it can be set?

Thanks in advance !

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

J_T_
Mentor

Total Posts:  1961
London-ish, UK

Not out of the box but is simple to do.

Upon entering your site, have some code check the session to see whether the referrer was saved off. If not, save it off if it exists. Then during checkout, take this form the session and store it as a new attribute to the order.

Or check your Analytics program.

Magento Community
Magento Community

itchytrig

Total Posts:  162
UK

JT

Hi, thanks you make it sound so simple!

But my coding knowledge is a tad spartan, so I look forward to the code or an update in Magento that may allow this.

Thanks again for the reply.

Magento Community
Magento Community

porthack

Total Posts:  5

Yer it would be great if this was a report that could be run from within Magento, then one possible us could be to verify your Analytics package is working correctly

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

I’m also looking for a solution to this - would be great to be able to record the referrer somhow.

Thanks!

Magento Community
Magento Community

Shine Marketing

Total Posts:  15

I’ve been looking at this, trying to find a way to gather the same parameters used in our Google Analytics links with each new customer and each order.

Adding it to the customer will help us understand the lifetime value of each channel.

If you look at most direct mail systems this stuff is fundamental, yet you hardly ever see anything like it in ecommerce systems.

Magento Community
Magento Community

lisali
Enthusiast

Total Posts:  889
London, UK

Hi,

I already set a referrer cookie, but how would you go about including that in the order info that goes out to the admin ONLY?
Thanks

Magento Community
Magento Community

Paaaaa

Total Posts:  50

That extension can handle this: http://www.customy.com/magento-extensions/affiliate-referer.html

Magento Community
Magento Community

ec0mmerce

Total Posts:  242

Hello
Please have a look at these links. Hope it will help:
http://www.magentocommerce.com/knowledge-base/entry/setting-up-google-analytics
http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/magento/magento_google_analytics.htm

Magento Community
Magento Community