Magento Forum

Page 1 of 4
admin password reset

percusionista

Total Posts:  9
Granada, Spain

After a complete instalation, when Itry to acces admin panel in loggin and pasword page is not alowed the previous set user name and password.

Each time I try to enter, the page reload and so again and again.

I´ve tried to use the forgooten password issue, and when I fill the email and send an error page appear.

So, Now I´m like in the begining, but whit an extra error “# Access Denied.# Forgot your password “ alert.

I´ve tried to reset my password, but I only find in wiki this explanation

Resetting Admin Password

It seems like the password must be typed and not copy/paste at least on the install part. good to know ;o)

The default login is : admin
The default password is : 123123

If you are having troubles and want to reset it to a different password, just run:

UPDATE `admin_user` SET `password`=MD5(’mypassword’) WHERE `username`=’admin’;

You can also do this in phpMyAdmin, find the admin_user field and choose MD5 when updating password.

Where and how do I do it, it seems not explained enough to me.

please help, I´m stuck on it

Thank you

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

rover

Total Posts:  3

I, too, am having issues with resetting the admin password. My problem did not stem from forgetting the admin password, rather from performing a MySQL dump and subsequent restore into a new magento database. After I restored the database, I attempted to login to the Admin Panel and received the ‘Access Denied’ message. The login information was not changed from the working database.

I have also attempted to use the suggestions here regarding running update on the password—both ways—by using “password=md5(’newpassword’)” and by creating an md5 hash from the ‘hashmash’ site and updating the string directly. Neither of these methods have worked.

What I have noticed is that the encrypted string is longer than what an md5 hash string would be by an extra 3 characters. Is Magento performing some other type of hashing?

I have multiple Magento databases and have also attempted to copy the encrypted string from another known database admin login. This did not work either. And, the encrypted string was also 3 characters longer than a normal md5 encrypted string.

Does anybody have any other ideas? This is the Magento 1.0 database. I must be missing something very, very important. In addition, I cannot, for the life of me, understand why a MySQL dump/restore would cause the login/password not to be acknowledged. If anybody has a suggestion, please let me know, as I really do not want to install everything from scratch and rebuild all our modifications.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Tweakmag
Guru

Total Posts:  307
London, UK

When you installed magento it asked you for an encryption key - I believe that this is being used for storing sensitive data - i.e admin passwords… so using the md5hash function won’t help you. When you installed the 2nd time (before doing the mysql dump) did you specify the same encryption key? If not, then you need to change it.

You can open /app/etc/local.xml and change the key there to what you used when setting up magento.

Cheers
Adam

Magento Community
Magento Community

alkarim
Guru

Total Posts:  368

do we need to change the password ? When the 1st time I installed magento, I didn’t fill the encryption key.. and now it just fine.

Magento Community
Magento Community

rover

Ajazza:

Are you saying that if I have a separate instance of the magento application, which builds the database during installation, that I cannot drop this database instance and load a mysql dump into it without changing the encryption key in the ‘app/etc/local.xml’ file to match whatever the original magento application created?

If so, is the ‘key’ the only component that needs to be considered? The other elements deal with the database instance and may vary per instance.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Adam_Shuy

Total Posts:  51
San Jose, CA

I input the right password to my Admin login page, but I got the access denied.
Fogot your password is not working either on my local machine.  what method shall I used to access to the Admin control panel?

Magento Community
Magento Community

tperkins

Total Posts:  10

I am having a similar issue.

All of a sudden when I go to login, I type in the correct information, and get resent to the login without any errors.

One issue other people may be having is that hitting “Forgot password” literally overwrites your old password instead of creating a temporary one. If you are still trying to use your old password, after someone hit “Forgot password”, you are no longer typing the correct one.

Magento Community
Magento Community

canadamn

Total Posts:  8

Me too,,, this sucks.  what to do?

Magento Community
Magento Community

OurWorldTalks

Total Posts:  60

I generate a new password, but magento emails me with no name and no password, both are blank. So now I can’t login anymore.

Magento Community
Magento Community

TalhaA

I had a similar problem after updating my database, although I have done an automatic installation therefore I haven’t entered any emails during installation. So when I wanted to retrieve a password it did not send any emails.
Then I went to php my admin and checked the admin_user field and saw that I was assigned a random email such as
I changed that with my real email and have magento sent a new password to me again.
You can also see the password there I guess in an encrypted mode but that’s beyond me, I dunno how to read that smile

Magento Community
Magento Community

Motu

My admin password suddenly doesn’t match. I get Access denied.
I tried a couple off advises above without success:

1) UPDATE `admin_user` SET `password`=MD5(’mypassword’) WHERE `username`=’admin’;
2) The key in phpadmin seems, according to what I read somewhere, 3 positions to long. That should be the reason changing the password doen’t fit.
I got my initial key from /app/etc/local.xml and saved this in the password field with phpadmin.
3) I tried to let the application send me a new password with the ‘ Forgot your password’ in the ‘Log in to Admin Panel’ but no mail was received.
Where can I fix that Magento send me an email? In phpadmin my correct mailadres is in the email field.

I have installed Magento locally but that should no be a part of the problem I guess.
I do not want to reinstall Magento after all the content an configuration settings I made.

Who has the solution for my problem?

Magento Community
Magento Community

Luciano Elias

Total Posts:  2

I am facing the same problem. I am able to run the SQL query and I can see that the field is updated, but when I return to the login page it doesn’t accept it. It simply refreshes the page without giving any error messages.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Motu

It seems it have something to do with version 1.2.1.
First I had a store with 1.2.0.3 and after the update to 1.2.1. this problem occurred.

I installed two new stores. One with 1.2.1 and one with 1.2.0.3.
I cannot go to the backend of the 1.2.1 but can with the 1.2.0.3 version !!!

Magento Community
Magento Community

kurzweil4

Total Posts:  5

What I discovered was the problem in my case was accessing the site from localhost. I read about it here:

http://www.nickbartlett.com/wordpress/magento-cannot-log-into-admin/

You either have to add an entry to your hosts file, or access your local machine through a dynamic dns service. Both worked for me. To my hosts file, I just added:

127.0.0.1 http://www.localhost.loc

then used http://www.localhost.loc as the hostname of course.

Kurzweil4

Magento Community
Magento Community

PeterHowitt

Total Posts:  8
Gibraltar

No need to change anything (after 2 wasted hours) to hosts files etc - all you have to do on local host is use opera as your browser and it stores the cookie
That is to say the url: http://localhost:8888/magento/index.php/admin/ works fine on mac in Mamp as long as you use opera to access it

Magento Community
Magento Community

uy_info

Total Posts:  1

This is really stupid. First I can not download an open source (!) e-commerce software with my firefox browser… I had to use explorer to download it…

Then after installation, I can not log in to admin site, again due to browser limitations..

This is unacceptable. How can Magento claim that they are e-commerce platform for growth!? >:(

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Page 1 of 4