Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Few questions about Data-Exchange

ryazor

Total Posts:  11
Berlin, Germany

Hello guys,
I am a developer and my company told me to learn the structure and the concept of Magento. I was told, because my company is specialized in developing complex eCommerce-solutions (mainly ERP-Data-Exchange via XML-Requests between eZ-publish and MS Navison/Dynamics or SAP).
Now my questions:

- is there a possibility to request the orderstatus from an external source, e.g. external PHP-File (maybe via SOAP or something)?
- if there is that possibility, is it even possible to modify orderstatus-data?

After a few hours of becoming acquainted with Magento and reading few topics in your forums, I found out, that there is a kind of API for miscellaneous opportunities, considering sales or products requests and modifications.

I already know, that the Magento-developers are emulous working on the stable final release of version 1.0 and finally writing a documentation also for the programming-interface. I am encouraged to get to know Magento more deeply, so my company may also offer solutions based on Magento in future.

Best regards,
Ryad

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

JayBird

Total Posts:  2

Hope this isnt considered butting in, but… I have used crx-loaded in the past and remember a contribution that included an .xml file that was used to update quantity and price for some products I had…

That would be a nice feature, if that is similar to what you are asking...the magento store owner could customize the xml structure…

Anyway, I suppose my reply was no help to you at all, so I apologize, just made me think of what a great addition that would be....

Later

Magento Community
Magento Community

ryazor

Total Posts:  11
Berlin, Germany

Thanks for your answer.
But I cannot imagine, that I have the opportunity to change for example the quantity of a product by simply editing a XML-Tag, because Magento hold its data (e.g. inventory-qty) in its databasebackend.
Theoretically I could just connect to that database from my external source and editing the specified dataset, but that is not the professional way of solve such problems, because the whole program-environment and -cycle could be affected. Further more I need an independent way solving that problem, because I may add ERP-functionalities [*] in future.

I hope, maybe a Magentodeveloper could help me. A real information- and data-interchange-opportunity, e.g. based on SOAP-messages would be a great heap forward, as well for my occupation as for other developers.

( [*] for more information about that, pm me… )

Big thanks, looking forward to work with Magento and its future-features grin
Warm regards,
Ryad

Magento Community
Magento Community

Bojan Hrnkas

Total Posts:  51

I second that! A SOAP interface, or API that would allow developers to write own RPC interface would be great!

I read also about some API, but couldn’t find the code anywhere (Is it allready a part of Magento distribution?).

Currently I am trying to write an XML-RPC Module for adding/updating products, that would be triggered by an event (similar to cron.php). If I make it, I will write a tutorial on that subject.

Bojan

Magento Community
Magento Community

Dilip Prajapati

Total Posts:  2

Hi guys,

my company is working on ERP and specially web service, for that we use python. now we are mapping category and export product by using xmlrpc and it working.

so i hope u used xmrpc is the best solution for that. but i have quesion in my mind. why database created by datatype
like catalog_category_int like.

what the reason behind it.

because for getting a single record i want to joing all tables.

and as per your problem i think xmlrpc is the best solution.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community