Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

New here and How do I….? 

Twisted Whispers

Total Posts:  4

Hi
I am new here and would like some advice please from the experts if possible.
I usually create websites (for my own benefits) for fun, but recently I have been asked by a friend if I could design a website for his “small” family business.
Now, I believe that I cannot do this my usual way of hand-coding in HTML, XHTML and CSS.

I believe that I need PHP, MySQL and Apache installed. I am guessing this needs to be situated at the server in question. Please correct me if I am wrong, as I have never used them before.
I am also looking for some “shops” to download and install.
Without sounding to dumb, how and where would they be install to...again, as I have never done this before.
Basically, in short.....How do I set up a shop? and what “add-ons” (Templates, Search feature etc), if any do I need to make it work correctly.

Also, how exactly is Magento installed ?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Jay

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

andyellis_2000

Total Posts:  41

you need to get a poper host for the site, which matches all of magentos sys reqs,which is not hard. Seach here in the forum, i won’t advertise for anybody but there are people geared toward hosing magento, but most any good host can do it, just install the proper packages, many of whch are default with any web configuration. You would have to watch out for MySql as some host do not give you much if any use of it. 

Magento is easy to install if you do it right, or some of the hosts I metnined here will do it for you.  Your knowledge of css, and xhtml etc will come in very handy in customizing mage to look as you want it to look. 

Once it is installed you will have an admin area to create your own categories, products, static cms blocks etc and tailor the look via boxes. css mostly. If you understand css and its classes, its not too hard to eventually figure out most of the basic stuff.  It also has a template aid which you can enable and it will show you on the site, which templates are being used in various areas, and you can install firebug and use firefox browser to help determine where the css is defined (what css file, which lines etc).

If you have very little experience its quite an undertaking, but if you have some web development background it can be done, but you may need some help to get off the ground.

Your host will need good connectivity as magento can run slow, esp if there are a lot of products, but there are also wasy to speed it up, and the developers themselves have done so ongoing over the past few months. But db replication if needed, encoding the php to binary etc all can help too if its a big site. 

As far as add ons, magento is pretty complete, most everything an ecomm site could need is included, thats why its so popular. Though a raw rookie would not be able to deal with magento, it also does not require a super high tech person to have a basic site. There will be some basic users guides out soon, and even are some tutorials etc in wikipedia now, and magentos own screen casts.  Good luck. Its a adventure, and not an easy path to walk, but not super difficult either, with some help.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Twisted Whispers

HI andyellis_2000,

Firstly, thanks very much for replying, much appreciated.
OK, let me try and follow you from each paragraph.

I already have a webspace (very cheap) provided by my ISP with 200mb. Would this do ?
Where would I get everything listed on the System Requirements page of the Magento website and how are they installed (main web directory, seperate paths/folders etc)

I am as I type uploading Magento to my main website directory. Is this correct ?
What exactly is mage ?

How do I access the admin page ?

Yes, I would appreciate the help to “get off the ground.”
I just don’t want to take up to much of your valuable time asking (probably) the most unnecessary questions. Though as a newbie, they probably wouldn’t sound like unnecessary questions as they would to the experts.....maybe.

My ISP/Host has a pretty good connection, so hopefully, that shouldn’t be an issue too much.

I sure hope I haven’t missed anything out that I wanted to ask again.

Thanks for your time and patience.

Jay

Magento Community
Magento Community

codenamejeff

Total Posts:  29

I would recommend starting off with an easier system. google up virtuemart or phpshop, they are a lot simpler systems for less complicated stores. If you choose to use magento you will have to get a server from a company that supports magento. I tried ordering some servers from a company that did not openly support magento, and it was hard to get up and running. I ended up looking for a company that openly supported magento.

and by mage I think he meant that as a nickname to magento

Magento Community
Magento Community

andyellis_2000

Total Posts:  41

yes my use of mage there was just a shorening of magento.  I have PM’d you btw, so we can discuss this further if you wish.  Just click Private Messaes at very top of this page.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sdb

Total Posts:  223
coastal California, USA

magento is huge, complex, and time consuming to customize, but if you dive in, its still quite useable

Magento Community
Magento Community

Twisted Whispers

andyellis_2000 - 27 March 2008 02:00 PM

yes my use of mage there was just a shorening of magento.  I have PM’d you btw, so we can discuss this further if you wish.  Just click Private Messaes at very top of this page.

Hi again andyellis_2000,
Just received your message.
I am just about to look at my personal messages and will get back to you once I have read them over.
Thanks for your continued support.

Jay

Magento Community
Magento Community

Twisted Whispers

sdb - 28 March 2008 07:21 AM

magento is huge, complex, and time consuming to customize, but if you dive in, its still quite useable

I am always ready for a challenge, so I am going to bear with this for now, even though it is driving me nuts and very frustrating right now.
Thanks for your input.

Jay

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community