Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

hows the designing and hacking going so far for you guys? 

lkbryant

Total Posts:  60

honestly , i took a glance at it but i am intimidated by the xml files. i keep reading the wiki over and over but still i am unable to go over the hump to turn a full webdesign conversion to magentocommerce.
i think we need some more details regarding to how the block/layout system works.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

NickL

Total Posts:  188

lakers,
good news is… its completely and unregrettably possible. I was a little intimidated at first too, not just by the xml but the whole framework at first.  But honestly, just take some time and go at it.  Head first. Ears pinned back. You’ll get the hang of it as you roll through the .phtml files.  And if you have a pre-existing design, your kinda halfway there.. no need to re-define css styles and layout ideas. Cool?

Checkout this post here http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/215/

That’ll get you going.  Then from there, just build your design back in. Think one piece at a time.

Plenty of help on the boards too..

Side note: I just realized you can subscribe to a thread in the top right corner of posts., yeah I know.. its been there but I just saw it.. just now. That’s iLL !  Nice move Varien.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community