I’m importing 5000+ simple products from an Excel XML. I have htaccess timeout set to 1800, but its timing out prematurely after 20 minutes, and only importing 100 records (93 1st attempt, 117 2nd attempt). Then when I go to delete the 100 simple products to try again, it takes very long. I’m waiting for it to delete right now, and I’m wondering if its going to timeout again.
I might try a CSV instead, but it just seems like these operations are taking an exceptionally long time to do very little. Last time I had the import working properly was three releases ago, and it only took around 10 minutes to import all 5000 simple products.
Update 1: I checked the list of of products on another browser and there was only 1 left while my other browser is still “loading” to complete the delete operation. It seemed to delete 99/100 products, but then it just hung there. Perhaps there was something about that product that was bugged… maybe when the import timed out. I’m only speculating though.
Update 2: Great. Now the dashboard page generates a fatal error after I deleted the remaining product on a 2nd browser, while the 1st browser timed out. I obviously messed something up - hope I don’t have to reinstall.
Fatal error: Call to a member function getBackend() on a non-object in /home/mysite/domains/mysite.com/public_html/app/code/core/Mage/Eav/Model/Entity/Collection/Abstract.php on line 367
Update 3: I’m attempting to import a CSV, and it looks like I’m going to have similar results. After I initiated the import and while my 1st browser is in a loading state, I immediately checked the list of products under “Manage Products” in a 2nd browser, and there were 50 products right away, but no more. It looks like it stopped importing, but my 1st browser stays in a “loading” state. The dashboard page is still broken.
Update 4: Products seem to import in bursts. Some records might pause for minutes before getting to the next one, and then suddenly there are several. Eventually, the browser (Firefox) seems to just give up on waiting. I’m guessing there is something in (or not in) my data that’s causing a problem, but the import isn’t cutting out at any one particular product.
Update 5: Could be host? I’m looking in phpMyAdmin, and the created dates are all within a second or two - and then the next one is a whole 7 minutes later - the next few are all within seconds, and then minutes later again. Ultimately, it doesn’t get very far. Oh yeah, the dashboard fixed as I tried to update products, which subsequently timed out.
Update 6: Doesn’t look like host performance. Successfully imported 2000 sku’s, but when I tried to delete ‘em, my browser timed out and the database corrupted, so I had to reinstall. I am certainly having trouble moving data around. I could, and probably will, import in more bite-sized chunks, but what bothers me is that I did successfully import 5000 products in 10-15 minutes a few releases ago. I don’t think it was my imagination.