Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

skipping order numbers - losing orders? 

johnh123

Total Posts:  64

One thing I have noticed on a regular basis is how sometimes the order numbers skip- so I go from 100004820 right to 100004823- and there are no failed transactions with authorize.net or any pending paypals.  Today, for example, I had the skip above- missing 21 and 22- and this was in the middle of a 1 1/2 hour period with no orders.

Why does it do this?  And is this related to the calls I get several times a week from people who say they went through and entered all their information, but instead of processing the order, they were just kicked back to an empty cart?

Am I losing orders because of some bug here?  Scary thought.  What other explanation is there for missing order numbers like that?

running magento 1.3.1

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

johnh123

Nobody else seeing anything like this?  It is quite frustrating to have several missing order numbers every day.

Magento Community
Magento Community

LeeSaferite
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Lake City, FL

As a general note.  Magento will reserve the IncrementID before the order is created in the system.  Once the IncrementID is reserved, it will not be given back. 

As to why you might be losing orders, I couldn’t really say.  Do you have logging turned on?  (System > Configuration > Developer > Log Settings > Enabled) What do your exception.log and system.log files tell you?

Magento Community
Magento Community

johnh123

What makes it reserve an incrementid?  Does it do that when a person begins the checkout process?

Magento Community
Magento Community

LeeSaferite
Guru

Total Posts:  322
Lake City, FL

Mage_Sales_Model_Quote::reserveOrderId()

When someone saves the order in checkout or they bounce over to paypal.

Magento Community
Magento Community

johnh123

Lee Saferite - 01 August 2009 04:45 PM

As to why you might be losing orders, I couldn’t really say.  Do you have logging turned on?  (System > Configuration > Developer > Log Settings > Enabled) What do your exception.log and system.log files tell you?

I turned logging on.  I just had another order lost due to paypal.  Went to the log directory, and there was nothing there but google checkout logs.

Magento Community
Magento Community

LRM

Total Posts:  5

johnh123 - 03 August 2009 05:42 AM

Lee Saferite - 01 August 2009 04:45 PM

I turned logging on.  I just had another order lost due to paypal.  Went to the log directory, and there was nothing there but google checkout logs.

Here is a scenario to consider.  If someone starts to checkout with PayPal, an ID will be reserved.  However, if for whatever reason, the paypal transaction doesn’t occur - by user choice or lack of funds, etc. - the order will not be completed.  This would give you non-sequential order numbers.

Thoughts?

Magento Community
Magento Community

johnh123

It is possible, but it happens numerous times a day, and usually several times in a row.  So you go 20 numbers in order, then there are 3 missing, often followed by a ‘pending paypal’ order.

Magento Community
Magento Community

justintime67

Total Posts:  188

For some reason, all of a sudden i will get one order with the number:

Order # 100002262

and then half an hour later i will get an order with the number:

Order # 200000003

any suggestions what could be causing this?

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community