Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Licencing and rebranding

tehgamecat

Total Posts:  27

I’ve been looking through the licence distributed with magento and it seems like you have to rebrand everything (leave the copyright in the code) to be compliant. Can this be confirmed?

I am looking for a commerce application I can rebrand as my own to offer to clients. Mainly this means the admin and other obvious visual aspects, as I said anything at a code level and giving away the sourcecode is not a problem.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Scott
Guru

Total Posts:  333
Northwest Ohio

I’m curious to know more about why you want to rebrand, in essence suppressing the mention of “Magento” in the visual output. There are clearly benefits to not rebranding, in that people using the system will know where to come for support if, God forbid, something were to happen and you were no longer able to provide support, etc.

I was thinking about rebranding myself, but I think the caveats outweigh the benefits at the moment. However, there is a plan to offer a commercial license of Magento, that would allow rebranding, but it’s geared more towards large companies (100+ employees) because they are able to provide support for the branded product to their clients.

Magento Community
Magento Community

sherrie

Total Posts:  1655
Waterloo, ON

I have no problem with leaving the credit to them as it is a fantastic product - I’m just curious, where did you find this statement?  I can’t find it anywhere in the License / Trademarks FAQ.

Magento Community
Magento Community

winzippy

Total Posts:  101
Rochester, NY, USA

Rebranding does have its uses though. For instance, showing the client’s name and logo in the admin (although it wouldn’t be a complete rebrand).

Magento Community
Magento Community

andyellis_2000

Total Posts:  41

I am a little confused by this terminology. Rebranding seems to say to change something, but I think we are not supposed to change anything?

Does this mean just to leave this alone at the bottom of the page?

Magento is a trademark of Irubin Consulting Inc. DBA Varien. Copyright © 2008 Irubin Consulting Inc.

I certainly have no problem with that, or is there a bunch I am missing here?

Magento Community
Magento Community

NineKrit

Total Posts:  8

http://www.magentocommerce.com/license/

Magento not allow to used Magento name.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community