Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Installed latest version, clean, but get this on home page…

PaulAlford

Total Posts:  64
Summerville, SC

I just finished uploading a fresh - clean install and went through the configure database screens and was successful, but when the home page comes up, it show this :

exception ‘Mage_Eav_Exception’ with message ‘Invalid attribute requested: price’ in /var/www/html/store25/app/Mage.php:369
Stack trace:
#0 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Eav/Model/Entity/Collection/Abstract.php(324): Mage::exception(’Mage_Eav’, ‘Invalid attribu...’)
#1 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Wishlist/Block/Customer/Sidebar.php(45): Mage_Eav_Model_Entity_Collection_Abstract->addAttributeToSelect(’price’)
#2 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Wishlist/Block/Customer/Sidebar.php(34): Mage_Wishlist_Block_Customer_Sidebar->getWishlist()
#3 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Wishlist/Block/Customer/Sidebar.php(62): Mage_Wishlist_Block_Customer_Sidebar->getWishlistItems()
#4 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Abstract.php(553): Mage_Wishlist_Block_Customer_Sidebar->_toHtml()
#5 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Text/List.php(36): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->toHtml()
#6 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Abstract.php(553): Mage_Core_Block_Text_List->_toHtml()
#7 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Abstract.php(430): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->toHtml()
#8 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Abstract.php(407): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->_getChildHtml(’right’, true)
#9 /var/www/html/store25/app/design/frontend/default/default/template/page/2columns-right.phtml(59): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->getChildHtml(’right’)
#10 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(120): include(’/var/www/html/s...’)
#11 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(152): Mage_Core_Block_Template->fetchView(’frontend/defaul...’)
#12 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Template.php(169): Mage_Core_Block_Template->renderView()
#13 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Block/Abstract.php(553): Mage_Core_Block_Template->_toHtml()
#14 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Model/Layout.php(505): Mage_Core_Block_Abstract->toHtml()
#15 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(318): Mage_Core_Model_Layout->getOutput()
#16 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Cms/Helper/Page.php(76): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->renderLayout()
#17 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Cms/controllers/IndexController.php(26): Mage_Cms_Helper_Page->renderPage(Object(Mage_Cms_IndexController), ‘home’)
#18 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Action.php(341): Mage_Cms_IndexController->indexAction()
#19 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Router/Standard.php(150): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Action->dispatch(’index’)
#20 /var/www/html/store25/app/code/core/Mage/Core/Controller/Varien/Front.php(147): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Router_Standard->match(Object(Mage_Core_Controller_Request_Http))
#21 /var/www/html/store25/app/Mage.php(421): Mage_Core_Controller_Varien_Front->dispatch()
#22 /var/www/html/store25/index.php(29): Mage::run(’default’)
#23 {main}

How would one fix this ???

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

PaulAlford

Summerville, SC

As an update to this - Have no idea what happened, but the error message above is no longer on the home page.  I still dont see the standard home page, with the different columns, sections....  All I see is a blank home page with the right column.  I have no products yet (dont want to add any until I get this figured out if I have to re-install whole thing).  I did add 1 product to see where it popped up and nothing. 

How do I get the standard home page with the categories, price ranges, regular columns showing ?

This is what I get:

Image Attachments
MagHomePg.jpg

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Total Posts:  633
Bakersfield, CA

The default install does not include the home page design from the demo site.  You can either download the sample data and install that, or you can just copy the home page from the demo over to your site.

First, log in here: http://demo-admin.magentocommerce.com/

Username: admin
Password: 123123

Now go to CMS --> Manage Pages.  From there, click on Home Page, and it should bring up the edit page.  Copy all of the code from the “Content” text box.  Now log into your own admin and paste it into the same area. This will give you the default home page from the demo and give you a starting point to modify for your own needs.

Magento Community
Magento Community

PaulAlford

Summerville, SC

Thanks for that, and I did go and copy and paste that code into my home page, and those items come up now.  So, how do I get MY PRODUCTS to show up there now ??

I would have thought the basic install would include a basic default layout… or whatever its called.

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Bakersfield, CA

How are your categories laid out?  By default it should have a category called “Default Category” or something like that.  Put your categories under that one and they will show up on the front end.  And of course you need to assign products to categories as well.

Magento Community
Magento Community

PaulAlford

Summerville, SC

OK, cool.  I did go back to the categories and figured out it will let you drag the categories, so I dragged the several I made under the default category and they (heading text) all show up on the menu bar. 

I see all of the “Best Selling” items on the home page....  I do have 1 product in there so far.  How would I get the 1 product to show up on the home page ??  Or would i need to change the “best selling” topic/section to something else ?

Thanks for your help by the way.... Is there a good link to “getting started” for beginners ?  I have read some of the tutorials, but am finding it easier to just ask the question of exactly what I need to know when I run into an issue.  I am learning mostly by trial and error and trying not to ask too many questions.

Magento Community
Magento Community

i960
Guru

Bakersfield, CA

The best selling products are just manually put in there.  Look at the code you pasted and you’ll see how they are done.  I have no idea how to make products automatically show up there.  I’m still learning.

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community