Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Filter Products By Sub-Catagories - Can Magento Do This? 

SteveDD

Total Posts:  4

Hi,

Im building my first online shop selling shoes (and some clothing). I would like the users to be able to filter products by sub-categories. For example; Size, Colour, Price, and Brand etc, as shown in this image: http://i26.tinypic.com/zl9rpe.jpg

Click Here to view the webpage. Is this possible using Magento? If so does anyone have a working example? If not, please kindly suggest other software which could be used instead.

Thanks for any advice!
Steve smile

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

magedev

Total Posts:  117

Hi,

For size, color and brand use product attributes instead of categories. You can still use categories to distinguish different shoe types (ie sandals, boots, trainers...). The shop you put a link to has really stunning navigation. Magento use slightly different method of filtering product list - see layered navigation. You can create custom form to filter product list however if you just starting your e-commerce adventure I recommend to use default Magento functionality.

Magento Community
Magento Community

SteveDD

Total Posts:  4

Thanks for the fast reply and useful links. smile

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community