Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Custom Customer Attributes? 

gpraceman

Total Posts:  6
Highlands Ranch, CO

Does Magento give the ability to add custom attributes for customers? I need the ability for customers to select from a drop-down list what type of organization they are from when they create their account. I didn’t see anything in the demo admin site for that.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

You would have to create a custom module for this. It would be fairly straight forward.

Magento Community
Magento Community

HyperBallad

Total Posts:  57
Montreal, QC

If this is so straight forward, I wonder why there is still no module available to do it....

A company/developper who would make a clean extension, upgrade proof, that would allow to add Customer Attributes, would make a lot of money....

I have a B2B store to make, and I will not use Magento because of this. First Name and Last name are not enough to identify a customer in B2B.

Magento Community
Magento Community

Brent W Peterson

Total Posts:  3217
Minneapolis MN

I suppose no one has asked!

I have made the following:

Quick Order Module
Custom Options based on Category in shopping cart
Custom Option in Listing page (With Pulldowns)
Static Blocks on FrontPage
Expandable Menus
.ASP/.ASPX Category/Product bridge (So all your old links work on your new Magento site)

See them all here

Midwest Supplies

Magento Community
Magento Community

Amasty
Mentor

Total Posts:  3988

gpraceman - 07 July 2009 09:07 PM

Does Magento give the ability to add custom attributes for customers? I need the ability for customers to select from a drop-down list what type of organization they are from when they create their account. I didn’t see anything in the demo admin site for that.

Yes, it is doable with the Customer Attributes extension.
It allows to add fields of several types to the registration form as well as on the billing info page of checkout (if a customer chooses to register to your site). In admin panel you can see and even filter by these custom fields.

Magento Community
Magento Community

mageb2bextensions

Total Posts:  7
CT USA

this extension is even more robust then amasty

http://www.mageb2bextensions.com/custom-customer-registration-and-checkout-fields.html

it also does checkout pages as well and supports additional product types

Magento Community
Magento Community

Grut

Total Posts:  164
Ukraine

If you have exact list of organizations, you can create separate Customer Group for each organization (store manager handles it successfully wink)

Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community