Posting in the Magento forums has been disabled pending the implementation of a new and improved forum solution which should better serve the community.

For new questions please post at magento.stackexchange.com, the community-run support site for the Magento community. We will be providing updates on the new forum solution soon. For questions or concerns please email community@magento.com.

Magento Forum

Just how flexible is shipping weight calculation? 

gpraceman

Total Posts:  6
Highlands Ranch, CO

I checked out the demo admin site and could not see anything pertaining to shipping module setup. Is the shipping weight calculation just a simple addition of the weights of the individual products being ordered?

I sell products of various size and weight, and depending on what the customer buys, there can be quite a big difference in the weight of the packaging material needed to ship out those products. Simply adding some common tare value to the total product shipping weight doesn’t work well. I don’t want to be overcharging for shipping (as customers may abandon the purchase) and I don’t want to swallow shipping costs too often either (especially for the heavier, not necessarily more expensive, orders).

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community

YehudaK

Total Posts:  2
Columbia, MD

From what I could find (which does not meet my store’s requirements) the shipping weight calculation simply adds the product weights and looks it up in the table.
That is all it does.

Magento Community Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community
Magento Community